News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Christianity = Repressive? (Split Topic)

Started by Court, July 27, 2006, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

What cop out. Charming people is pathetic dude. WHy won't you honestly defend the fact your religion pushes the idea that Homosexuals, Women, and people of neighboring countries are meant to feel God's wrath? And the funniest thing, it's all because he loves us like his children? I don't see the logic behind Christianity.

God sends himself down (in the form of his son) into a virgin. I'm curious why he didn't do like in Hosea and have it be a prostitute. It'd further show that he forgives all. Then he has the child disobey his parents when he's about 12 to go and talk to the elders, who were amazed by his understanding of the law (which is oddly similiar to how a lot of cults of personalities portray their leaders. Look at Hubbard and Moon and you'll see what I'm talking about). THen when he's 33 he is tortured and crucified to pay for our sins. Why so much violence with a loving God? It makes no sense.

I just got a defilibrator for your thread, Court. :D
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "iplaw"Many people proselytize for many causes, as many here proselytize for atheism.  .

I don't see what we do here as proselytizing.  If people don't want to hear about our views, beliefs and non-beliefs, they shouldn't be on an openly atheistic website.  

I don't go out in public and try to convert anyone.  

We are trying to get people to think for themselves.  Explaining why we think and believe as we do is not proselytizing.

iplaw

Maybe I wasn't clear what proselytizing meant and should be replaced with "sharing views."

QuoteI don't go out in public and try to convert anyone.
No, but I bet you speak your mind when certain topics come up.  And to assert that atheists are not so bold as to convert I suggest you go to www.godisimaginary.com and explain what the purpose of saying "god is imaginary" in public would be other than to attempt to convert someone to think that "god is imaginary."  I don't mind the idea but to deny that some atheists don't engage in the same rhetorical tactics is a joke.

QuoteWe are trying to get people to think for themselves.  Explaining why we think and believe as we do is not proselytizing.
This is just semantics.  I regard sharing my faith exactly the same way.  Anyone who does more than share a viewpoint is in error.

Court

iplaw, we can't blame you for the crimes of christianity against society. I don't think that christians should force their value systems into politics, etc. I also think that, although the bible doesn't specifically direct believers to do this, the spirit of the book does.

The other day, I saw these stupid flyers that said "God loves you" on the train and I took every one of them down. I honestly thought about putting up some for Jassman's God Solution website, but then I knew I'd be just as bad as them. :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

iplaw

QuoteCharming people is pathetic dude.
Probably why you can't get a date.  :wink:   BTW, I have decided to unilaterally ignore your responses unless they involve topics about humor or Team America.  I don't care for responding to rants.

iplaw

QuoteI also think, that although the bible doesn't specifically direct believers to do this, the spirit of the book does.
I think you inadvertantly make my point.  You can't judge a philosophy by it's abuses no matter how wacky the individual.

Jassman

Quote from: "iplaw"No, but I bet you speak your mind when certain topics come up.  And to assert that atheists are not so bold as to convert I suggest you go to www.godisimaginary.com and explain what the purpose of saying "god is imaginary" in public would be other than to attempt to convert someone to think that "god is imaginary."  I don't mind the idea but to deny that some atheists don't engage in the same rhetorical tactics is a joke.

You are right that a major reason for that is to convert, or more accurately, to open peoples' minds to a point-of-view other than their own. But another reason is to help phase out the stigma associated with atheism. The general population, at least in North America, sees atheists as just a fringe group that are ignorant to their "one true God". They don't realize that they make up about 14% of the Canadian/American citizens (and growing; non-religion faster than any religion). In fact, Bush said:

"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

That should be enough to fully illustrate my point.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Jassman

Quote from: "Court"I honestly thought about putting up some for Jassman's God Solution website, but then I knew I'd be just as bad as them. :) I thought people would forget about the site after a day or so. Hopefully it will get quite a few hits once it gets out to the 31415926535 search engines I submitted it to.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"
QuoteI also think, that although the bible doesn't specifically direct believers to do this, the spirit of the book does.
I think you inadvertantly make my point.  You can't judge a philosophy by it's abuses no matter how wacky the individual.

Luckily for me, that's not the only problem I have with the christian "philosophy." Plus, it doesn't matter that christianity doesn't directly order its members to force their morals into my life, because they attempt to do it anyway. Thus, I feel the need to share my views. It's the only way to battle the political and social force that christianity has become.
Religion should be a private practice, but it's not.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "Court"I honestly thought about putting up some for Jassman's God Solution website, but then I knew I'd be just as bad as them. :) I thought people would forget about the site after a day or so. Hopefully it will get quite a few hits once it gets out to the 31415926535 search engines I submitted it to.

I actually plan on scattering a few across campus, probably in the liberal arts building :) I just didn't think the train was an appropriate place.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

iplaw

QuoteThe general population, at least in North America, sees atheists as just a fringe group that are ignorant to their "one true God".
As the "general population" of atheists takes the fringe of the christian population and props them up as the norm.

To state that atheism is not a fringe group is incorrect.  It doesn't mean you aren't right it just means atheism is still a small philosophy in relation.  Also, by fringe I don't mean wacko.

Court

Quote from: "iplaw"
QuoteThe general population, at least in North America, sees atheists as just a fringe group that are ignorant to their "one true God".
As the "general population" of atheists takes the fringe of the christian population and props them up as the norm.
I don't think fundies are the norm. But they do the most harm when it comes to pushing their value systems into our schools and politics.
However, the general population of christians, fundies or not, see atheists as immoral, fundamentally bad people. It's a stereotype we can't get rid of unless we explain ourselves. Thus, the "evangical" nature of some atheists.

Quote from: "iplaw"To state that atheism is not a fringe group is incorrect.  It doesn't mean you aren't right it just means atheism is still a small philosophy in relation.  Also, by fringe I don't mean wacko.
Well, you don't mean wacko, but the rest of America does. Yes, atheists are a minority. But that doesn't mean we should be attacked as immoral, satan-worshipping, kitten-sacrificers either.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Jassman

Quote from: "Court"I actually plan on scattering a few across campus, probably in the liberal arts building :) I just didn't think the train was an appropriate place.

Well I better get that flyer template finished then (that is, if that is the one you plan on using). I also should fix up a display problem in Internet Explorer. At any rate, thanks a lot for your support!

iplaw

Just understand that as disgusting as you see evangelical christians, reverse the sentiment for the average christian who sees an evangelical atheist.

You need to understand that for each and every shade and grade of christian you have a corresponding shade or grade of atheist.  One just prefers to argue for god the other against.  It has more to do with human nature than philosophy.  The fundie christian would be a fundie atheist in another life, they are just fundie in general and it wouldn't matter what it was about!

Court

Quote from: "Jassman"
Quote from: "Court"I actually plan on scattering a few across campus, probably in the liberal arts building :) I just didn't think the train was an appropriate place.

Well I better get that flyer template finished then (that is, if that is the one you plan on using). I also should fix up a display problem in Internet Explorer. At any rate, thanks a lot for your support!

Whenever you're done with it, go ahead and email it to me: courtneystoker@yahoo.com
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]