News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Social Memes

Started by Biggus Dickus, July 18, 2017, 04:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

That's not even the half the shit in posted in the last few hours this morning that women have to deal with on the internet.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

^^Anyone who doubts this can log in to Facebook and follow Men Yelling Indistinctly, Exposing Mens Rights Activists, and Making Dudes Type Paragraphs. Among many others. Those are safe spaces run by feminists.

There's also r/incels (involuntary celibate), which is NOT safe - it is literally a hive of men angry that beautiful, model-esque women are not giving them the sex they are owed. Because existing and having a dick means there should be hot women on it whenever you want. They're particularly vicious toward pregnant women. Rape is just normal discourse over tea and murder threats abound.

If incels aren't enough for you, there are Men Going Their Own Way, which are incels who have decided that women aren't good enough to be blessed with their awesomeness and they are leaving society to function without women. While talking about it. Loudly. And constantly. And somehow being afraid to do anything "not manly" like basic grooming or cleaning.

The list just goes on...

Arturo

I remember men going their own way. I actually talked to a guy from there and when they get people yelling about women, they actually say they are smart and will go places in life. They feed the trolls.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Ecurb Noselrub

Wow! I didn't know there were so many cockroaches hidden in the walls.

Icarus

A subject in a nearby line of reasoning is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJr226idrFg

Opinions?

Dragonia

Quote from: Icarus on September 19, 2017, 09:31:46 PM
A subject in a nearby line of reasoning is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJr226idrFg

Opinions?
Well, my opinion is that I must be more intelligent than I thought!  :dance:
I have always preferred a few close friends rather than a large group. I don't like shallow conversation, or petty remarks, just no patience for it, so groups of friends, or big parties, bring very little pleasure for me.
But I have always enjoyed my own company. I like my own thoughts, my own questions, my own activities. I always thought I might be on the weird side, now I know I'm just terribly intelligent.  :grin: thanks Icarus!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Hmm, wonder what the correlation between the perception of "loneliness" and IQ is?

I think small groups, up to ten max say, are good for bouncing ideas around and, hopefully constructive, criticism. Not having many friends who are not totally absorbed in soaps, sport, TV in general, fishing, birdwatching etc., single pursuit types, I rely on you guys for 95% of my feedback and variety of stimulation.

Dave

QuoteThe health, life, and genetic legacy of members of social species are threatened when they finds themselves on the social perimeter. Social isolation decreases lifespan in the fruit fly1; promotes obesity and Type 2 diabetes in mice2; exacerbates infarct size and edema and decreases post-stroke survival rate following experimentally induced stroke in mice3; promotes activation of the sympatho-adrenomedullary response to an acute immobilization or cold stressor in rats4; delays the effects of exercise on adult neurogenesis in rats5; decreases open field activity, increases basal cortisol concentrations, and decreases lymphocyte proliferation to mitogens in pigs6; increases the 24 hr urinary catecholamines levels and evidence of oxidative stress in the aortic arch of rabbits7; and decreases the expression of genes regulating glucocorticoid response in the frontal cortex of piglets.8 Humans, born to the longest period of abject dependency of any species and dependent on conspecifics across the lifespan to survive and prosper, do not fare well, either, whether they live solitary lives or they simply perceive they live in relative isolation (see Box 1).

Part if the intro to Perceived Social Isolation and Cognition

Not quite what I was looking for, but interesting. Several refs to the problem of a high IQ actually causing isolation - I have seen that problem with bright kids going to inadequate (for them) schools.

Arturo

Social isolation is also a sign of several mental illnesses including schizophrenia which has an average population of lower than average IQ of 100. I don't know any reliable sources to check IQ but I'd much rather take an aptitude test.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Isolation can certainly result from mental illness and also cause it.

Yes, I reckon aptitude tests are better when looking for what sort of work might suit you and as evidence for any thinking potentual employer. Best to avoid the non-thinking ones if you can!

Though, results can be confusing - I scored off the graph in the "mechanical" section but still got pointed at teaching, law, editing, medicine and similar jobs!

Biggus Dickus

Davin

Well, baby steps. At least the tests don't depend on death anymore. /s
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.