News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Argentina Saves Both Lives

Started by Recusant, March 02, 2019, 08:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

I think this is horrifying on a number of levels, and is an example of what happens in a country where the political levers are held by people hidebound in their ideology.

"Girl, 11, gives birth to child of rapist after Argentina says no to abortion" | The Guardian

QuoteAn 11-year old girl who became pregnant after being raped was forced to give birth after Argentine authorities refused to allow her the abortion to which she was entitled.

The authorities ignored repeated requests for an abortion from the child, called "Lucía" to protect her identity, as well as her mother and a number of Argentine women's right activists. After 23 weeks of pregnancy, she had to undergo a caesarean section on Tuesday. The baby is unlikely to survive.

The move has been described as the "worst kind of cruelty for this child" and has been blamed on an anti-choice strategy in the country to force girls to carry their pregnancies to term.

Lucía told the psychologist at the hospital to which she was admitted after two suicide attempts: "I want you to remove what the old man put inside me."

Lucía, the youngest of three sisters, became pregnant after she was abused by her grandmother's 65-year-old partner. She was placed under her grandmother's care in 2015, after her two older sisters were reportedly abused by her mother's partner.

Lucía discovered she was pregnant on 23 January at a first-aid centre in her hometown in the northern province of Tucumán. A week later, the child was admitted to the Eva Perón hospital outside the provincial capital city of Tucumán. Suffering from self-inflicted lesions resulting from apparent suicide attempts, she was placed in state care.

While abortion remains illegal in Argentina, a 1921 law allows it to be performed in cases of rape or when a woman's life is in danger. A doctor declared in court that Lucía faced "high obstetric risk" should her pregnancy be allowed to continue.

Gustavo Vigliocco, Tucumán's health secretary, insisted the child did not want an abortion – a claim denied by activists who had access to court proceedings.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

People, aren't they just rays of fucking sunshine?

Icarus

Aren't the Argentine people  mostly Catholic?   Is this one of the rules of the Argentine Pope?

Recusant

Argentina is overwhelmingly a Catholic country, but most of them aren't particularly observant, according to Wikipedia.

Pope Francis was born in Buenos Aires and during the time he worked in Argentina it was always in that city, including being appointed archbishop of Buenos Aires. This story comes from the northern province of Tucumán; I doubt Bergoglio/Francis had much influence on the politics there. People may have got the (correct) impression that I'm not a fan of his but I won't blame him for this one.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

I agree with you Recusant, but the catholic church still opposes contraception. I realise that it would not have helped in this case but it strikes me as more than a little hypocritical for the catholic church to oppose one of the two main methods of reducing the number of abortions.  The other one being fact based sex education, not one of the church's strong points either.

As for this case it is indeed horrific and yet another reason why religious considerations should be abandoned in issues of human health.  This poor girl should have been entitled to an early abortion as soon as it was apparent she needed one.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

There's no question in my mind that what happened to the girl after her relatives had their way with her (imagine, being removed from one abusive situation only to find yourself in another, perhaps even worse) can be fully attributed to the influence of the Catholic church. The law in Argentina was ignored because of the hardline stance on abortion it promotes.

I agree that the anti-contraception position of the church is despicable, particularly its opposition to the use of condoms in areas of Africa where AIDS is a very big problem. 
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on March 02, 2019, 09:46:08 PM
People, aren't they just rays of fucking sunshine?

Yes, sometimes.

There's a group being deplorable.
There's a much much larger group deploring.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.