News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Yountville attack: California hostage-taker was former patient

QuoteThe man who killed three women after a stand-off at a veterans' home in Napa Valley, California was a former patient, authorities say.

The three victims were all employees at the centre in Yountville.

The residential centre provides mental health services for veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The suspected gunman, who died at the scene, has been named as Albert Wong, 36. No motive for the attack has been identified, police say.

Wong, reportedly a former US Army rifleman, had left a programme to treat post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The gunman entered the building while employees were having cake as a leaving celebration for some colleagues.

After a siege lasting all day police discovered the four bodies in a room at The Pathway Home on Friday evening...

Tragic. Would proposed gun restrictions based on mental health prevent a vet with PTSD owning a gun? If not should they?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

I would answer a definite "yes" to your question, Tank, but I would include every person so afflicted, not just vets. PTSD can affect the personality of the sufferer, never in a benericial way.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on March 10, 2018, 05:29:53 PM
I would answer a definite "yes" to your question, Tank, but I would include every person so afflicted, not just vets. PTSD can affect the personality of the sufferer, never in a benericial way.
Good point.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

The kids staged a 17 minutes walk-out, nationwide, in protest against guns and shooting. Wonder if anyone in real authority will admit to getting the message? After all some of them will be out of office or rrtired or something by the time these kids get the vote.

And some of the schools threaten to suspend the kids - how petty pathetic. Hope the suspendees use the time for further demonstration.

QuoteWednesday walkout: students step out of class to spur action on gun control – live

Thousands of students at schools across the country walked out of class today, took a knee inside their school building or linked arms in class hallways to memorialize those who have died in gun violence and to demand more action from US lawmakers.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2018/mar/14/wednesday-walkout-gun-control-parkland-florida-students-live

No one

Where there's a will, there's a way. If someone is determined to do something, they will find a way to prevail, no matter what laws stand in their way. Humans are cunning, resourceful, little bastards.

Dave

Quote from: No one on March 15, 2018, 09:54:35 AM
Where there's a will, there's a way. If someone is determined to do something, they will find a way to prevail, no matter what laws stand in their way. Humans are cunning, resourceful, little bastards.

Trouble is, short of going outside the law, that works both wsys - intransigent, hidebound,  establishment, traditional, and conservative attitudes hold many of the aces here. Could take some time  and mental/emotional stamina.

I wish them luck and would still be willing to contribute to any crowd funding that is properly set up.

Biggus Dickus

Emma Gonzalez Is Responsible for the Loudest Silence in the History of US Social Protest.

Quote"Six minutes and about 20 seconds. In a little over six minutes, 17 of our friends were taken from us." That's how Emma Gonzalez, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and one of the organizers of the March for Our Lives, began her remarkable speech on Saturday afternoon at the rally in Washington, DC.

For me personally I am in awe of the strength of this young woman...simply the most powerful thing I've ever witnessed.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

That is powerful. Obama wouldn't take the guns, Emma and her fellow survivors just might.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 25, 2018, 05:28:02 AM
That is powerful. Obama wouldn't take the guns, Emma and her fellow survivors just might.

Whilst the all powerful President of the United States runs off to hide in his hole in Florida.

I am hoping those kids and their supporters can break the paradigm, but stupidity if sp built into some Americans it will be a long struggle. Emma Gomez is a leader in the making - let's hope she remains as true to her principles as power politics can stand. Let's hope the gun-psychos do not consider her a target.

Tank

Of course she's a target to some gun nut out there.

Harmonie

Quote from: Tank on March 25, 2018, 10:41:17 AM
Of course she's a target to some gun nut out there.

When I saw all of these protests going on I was very afraid that some gun nut/terrorist (I'll just call it what it is) would show up and try to start something. I'm happy that nothing happened, but I find it hard to believe. Was there are lot of security for these protests?

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

I would imagine the police were out in large numbers, if only to control traffic.

But the videos are impressive:

https://youtu.be/kPHXApvGwQU

https://youtu.be/kq9hLVuS2D4

Icarus

Emma Gonzales is a hero for me.  Somehow she managed to hold an audience of hundreds of thousands in almost complete and perhaps reverent silence for six minutes and twenty seconds. Way to go Kid. That was high drama of the first order.

This whole enormous event that went nationwide, even world wide, was a major undertaking that required some very sophisticated planning, directing, and execution. There was plenty of money involved as well.  All this pre-production was done in relative anonymity. Yes, adults with clout were much involved but that takes nothing from the dogged determination of the kids.

It is a near certainty that the media, the TV interviews and all, did do some serious pre- screening to select the most marvelously articulate kids that appeared on the various TV channels.  I am in awe of those kids. I also have he highest praise for the kids who were not given TV interviews. 

One of the notes about the Washington DC event is that there was far less trash strewn on the scene than has been the result of so many other "Marches".  Damn, someone was brilliant with the choreography of these events. A stroke of genius is that no adults were allowed on the stages. The kids can and did prevail.  I almost want to believe in God.

Let us fervently hope that these kids and their advisors will arise in force in late October.....just prior to the mid term elections.   If they/we can pull this off, the message will be dramatically delivered and the NRA and the lackeys that are NRA beneficiaries will be fucked and summarily relieved of their office..  Let us pray.

Icarus

Dave

In a prog on the BBC World Service regarding student attitudes to gun control (pro and anti) one of tge pro-control students sais (paraphrased): The United States is the greatest country on Earth but we are afraid of laws that theaten our security."

I wan't to change that to, "The United States is the greatest nation on Earth but we are afraid of each other."

It is not the Red Menace or the Yellow Peril they really worry about, it's the guy down the road with a room full of assault rifles and ammo. Be prepared to get your armed defence in before that nutter starts shooting.