News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

How To Deal With BACs

Started by Kekerusey, September 19, 2016, 08:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

So I'm on FaceBook and I see the following from a guy I used to work with at a pharmaceuticals company:

Quote from: JGDay 5
Isaiah 40:31 (KJV) 31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

I hadn't seen anything like that from him before so I messaged him:

Hi JG, can I ask a question? Are you a born again Christian or something?

He replies, "Yep, have been for years.  I often read some of your posts with interest.  Was thinking if that help desk reunion actually happens we could have a interesting chat."

There are many ways I could go at this point, the one most appealing [to me] is tell him I'm not interested in talking to him about his dumb f***ing religion and defriend him (it's not like he was ever close or anything). Yes, I know that's brutal and (in many people's eyes) childish but it pretty much reflects the way I feel about such things given that I can predict what will happen i.e. that he will try to persuade me of the reasonableness of his views, I won't accept that as tenable, it will escalate, get heated and end up the same only I'll be angry and/or irritable.

So my gut feeling is send a reply along this lines of, "I'm afraid I don't think it will be interesting at all given that it must be clear I am not only antagonistic towards religion and that I consider such beliefs to be puerile [at best]. That isn't a good recipe for discussion so perhaps it is best that we just go our separate ways now."

How would you handle it?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Magdalena

I would introduce him to Pahu. We could watch them kill each other...slowly.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

Well, you're looking for something from this exchange, or you wouldn't have initiated it. I would seriously refrain from being snide and snarky, as you did initiate this conversation. I'd explain my curosity, mention that I wasn't looking for debate or discussion, and leave it at that.

After that, if he tries to push conversation or starts flaming you with BA memes or something, then game on if that's your thing.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Pasta Chick on September 19, 2016, 09:20:34 PM
Well, you're looking for something from this exchange, or you wouldn't have initiated it. I would seriously refrain from being snide and snarky, as you did initiate this conversation. I'd explain my curosity, mention that I wasn't looking for debate or discussion, and leave it at that.

After that, if he tries to push conversation or starts flaming you with BA memes or something, then game on if that's your thing.

Thx ... you're probably right.

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Pasta Chick on September 19, 2016, 09:20:34 PMWell, you're looking for something from this exchange, or you wouldn't have initiated it. I would seriously refrain from being snide and snarky, as you did initiate this conversation. I'd explain my curosity, mention that I wasn't looking for debate or discussion, and leave it at that.

OK, how about:

"Hi JG, I was simply curious as I hadn't realised you were that religious. With regard a discussion, unfortunately I am fairly antagonistic towards religions (all of them) so I guessing that's not the best way to go :)" ?

Keke

Davin

It depends on your goal, if you don't care about a relationship with that person, then that response is fine. But if you want at least a polite relationship with them, then you probably want to avoid saying negative things like you being antagonistic towards all religions. I usually say something like, "I prefer to avoid religious discussions because they tend to get personal and people's feelings often get hurt. So unless it's very important to you, I think we should refrain from speaking on the subject of religion."

Of course you know the person better than I, all I can speak of is in generalities.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kekerusey

I don't care about my relationship with him. I do care what others (common friends and acquaintances) think of me to a degree.

Keke

Velma

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 20, 2016, 08:51:20 PM
I don't care about my relationship with him. I do care what others (common friends and acquaintances) think of me to a degree.

Keke
No matter which way you go, keep in mind that the "have a interesting chat" (sic) is more than likely code for "I'm going to try to convert you." It is just the way most BAC's think.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

You could always send him this picture then unfriend and block him

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Kekerusey

Quote from: Velma on September 24, 2016, 06:12:36 AMNo matter which way you go, keep in mind that the "have a interesting chat" (sic) is more than likely code for "I'm going to try to convert you." It is just the way most BAC's think.

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I see it.

Thx Velma

Keke