News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

A few miscellaneous thoughts about the imminent demise of Big Bang Theory:

Started by Rift Zone, March 19, 2018, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift Zone

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 12:20:11 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 11:18:22 PMoh, yes, of course.   the original is at 5 k.   of course that iteration of the the theory was like, the original, potentially before inflation, dark matter and allllllll sorts of stuff. at any rate, a lot has changed within the theory since then.

Revisions to scientific ideas do not invalidate those ideas. All challenges to the essential theory so far have failed.

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 21, 2018, 11:18:22 PMIt remains that the value BBT held when the first findings were released was 50k.

Perhaps you could cite sources when you make statements like that. I can find nothing supporting your claim. What I have found is that 50 Kelvin was the upper limit of estimates.

QuoteAlpher and Herman's prediction of a 5 Kelvin background contained no suggestion of its detectability with available technology and had little impact. Over the next decade, George Gamow and collaborators, including Alpher and Herman, made a variety of estimates of the background temperature which fluctuated between 3 and 50 Kelvin (e.g. Gamow 1956).

[source]
Recrusant, are you trying to imply i have insinuated that BBT is no longer valid because it had experienced revisions?   is that what you wish to say?   Are you building an argument pertaining to that?   if you are not, will you kindly spare us the commentary and stick to relevant data alone.   The fluff around here is ridiculous enough as it is.     

I'll see what I can do about substantiating that fact.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Recusant

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:22:06 AM. . . And we're never gonna know anything about anything if we constantly bicker among ourselves.

Good thinking. Hyperbole tends to elicit mockery. However, mockery really isn't a civil response to hyperbole. If neither can contain their impulses (Rift Zone's hyperbole--"terrorizing," really? / Davin's mockery) and instead choose to ratchet this up, the staff will have no choice but to step in.

ETA: Your sniping back hasn't been particularly civil, either.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:32:04 AM. . . are you trying to imply i have insinuated that BBT is no longer valid because it had experienced revisions?

I was clear: Despite revisions to the theory, none of the challenges to it have succeeded in disproving it.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Rift Zone

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 12:36:30 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:32:04 AM. . . are you trying to imply i have insinuated that BBT is no longer valid because it had experienced revisions?

I was clear: Despite revisions to the theory, none of the challenges to it have succeeded in disproving it.
yea, it's safe for a few more years.   we'll see how smug this community is then.

oh, no question I didn't play nice with anyone who attacked me.   Homie don't play that.     
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Rift Zone

it was Gamow himself that raised it to 50K!!! it's in a later iteration of his work.  I'm not finding the reference right now either. 

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 01:13:44 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:22:06 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 21, 2018, 11:39:32 PM
Ugly.
... so chill,...
Chill? What did I do?  :notsure:
I'm not the one calling my friend an animal.
no, no, that wasn't directed to you.  That was for people taking themselves or me too seriously.    The only thing I've seen out of you was an astute and well supported observation, so I naturally have respect for you.   

Sorry about your friend.    for my defense, it was kinda game on between us, and we both knew it.   not my first choice, but it works out that way sometimes.    i was just defending myself.    tried to warn him about playing with psychological warfare...   at any rate, i was not the agressor here, my wittle feewings have been hurt through the constant barage of assaults on me and my notions, but I have a plush frog so i'm good. 

Rift Zone

incidentally, if BBT was given the same harsh treatment as Nova, it wouldn't have lasted 20 mins in here...    Nova has yet to be discounted...   just say'n

Magdalena

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 01:26:10 AM
Ugly.
... so chill,...
no, no, that wasn't directed to you.  That was for people taking themselves or me too seriously.    The only thing I've seen out of you was an astute and well supported observation, so I naturally have respect for you.   

Sorry about your friend.    for my defense, it was kinda game on between us, and we both knew it.   not my first choice, but it works out that way sometimes.    i was just defending myself.    tried to warn him about playing with psychological warfare...   at any rate, i was not the agressor here, my wittle feewings have been hurt through the constant barage of assaults on me and my notions, but I have a plush frog so i'm good.
OK.
Could you do me a small favor? Could you post the quotes where you were offended by Davin...on a personal level? You know, like, "Put a muzzle on Rift Zone..." Or something like that. Maybe I missed it.
Thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

...at any rate, i was not the agressor here, my wittle feewings have been hurt through the constant barage of assaults on me and my notions, but I have a plush frog so i'm good.

::) We could seriously do with a little less drama...it gets old really fast.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 01:40:37 AM
Ugly.
... so chill,...

OK.
Could you do me a small favor? Could you post the quotes where you were offended by Davin...on a personal level? You know, like, "Put a muzzle on Rift Zone..." Or something like that. Maybe I missed it.
Thank you.
um, I'm afraid I can't.   It would seem I was fighting dirtier than he was.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2018, 12:33:28 AM
Hyperbole tends to elicit mockery. However, mockery really isn't a civil response to hyperbole. If neither can contain their impulses (Rift Zone's hyperbole--"terrorizing," really? / Davin's mockery) and instead choose to ratchet this up, the staff will have no choice but to step in.

ETA: Your sniping back hasn't been particularly civil, either.

As Recusant posted in response to Rift Zone above (worth re-posting as a reminder), both Rift Zone and Davin have contributed unnecessarily uncivil responses to this thread. If this continues then the staff will be required to take a more active approach (hopefully not before Davin has had the chance to read this and the quoted post).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

OK, RZ,

I live in LA so I know exactly what this means:
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:50:50 AM
...oh, no question I didn't play nice with anyone who attacked me.   Homie don't play that.   

What I don't understand is this:
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 22, 2018, 12:32:04 AM
...The fluff around here is ridiculous enough as it is.     
What is this, "fluff?"  :lol:

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 04:21:52 AM

OK, RZ,

...oh, no question I didn't play nice with anyone who attacked me.   Homie don't play that.   

Bitching, moaning, bickering...   like, most of it.   Anything that not a legit attempt to have a legit conversation is fluff.   

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on March 22, 2018, 04:21:52 AM

OK, RZ,

Have you used this one before?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.