News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Nova! -the end of black hole/singularity fantasy:

Started by Rift Zone, March 19, 2018, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift Zone

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 04:49:23 PM

That's interesting. I know I intimidate some people IRL but can't fathom why. Like you, I'm mild mannered most of the time. I don't consider myself to be outspoken - I pick my battles -  but do consider myself to be open to new ideas and meeting new people. I also consider myself to be emotionally strong, I went to Hell and back and would do it all again, but it's not like I go around "flexing my emotional muscles" for all to see.

:notsure: Maybe it's because I'm tall compared to the national average. :lol:  I tower over a lot of other Brazilians.   
People trip on inherently strong people, cuz not all are like that.    I'm fairly tall too.    Yea!   -not much opportinity to flex them emotional muscles...   i guess it's fortunate it's not always needed.   I don't need to worry about it all in crisis situations cuz i don't think, I act; I'm just a machine that handles it: graduated top of my class for wilderness first responder, self-reliance of adventure trekking, been thanked by fire departments for putting out oil kitchen fires, twice...
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 25, 2018, 05:16:31 PM
Quote:notsure: Maybe it's because I'm tall compared to the national average. :lol:  I tower over a lot of other Brazilians.   

Ah! Junoesque or statuesque?

I dream of being dignified tall, but whenever I try, some people say I'm a snob. "Don't look down on me!" they say. "I can't help it! I reply.

;)

So I guess I'm awkwardesque :lol:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

When I was a kid (way back when . . .) we used to draw "Esque" figures. There was, of course, an "Esquemo", and a "Statuesque", an "Arabesque" got in there as well others I forget.

The other thing was "Nerks":

Most prominent of those in my memory is:

We are talking 1950s here, cold war era.

And my artistic ability sucks!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Recusant

Just to note that the pervasive "alpha/beta" analysis of human interaction is absurdly oversimplified and rooted in debunked ideas about wolf behavior.

"Why everything you know about wolf packs is wrong" | io9

QuoteThe alpha wolf is a figure that looms large in our imagination. The notion of a supreme pack leader who fought his way to dominance and reigns superior to the other wolves in his pack informs both our fiction and is how many people understand wolf behavior. But the alpha wolf doesn't exist—at least not in the wild.

[. . .]

"The concept of the alpha wolf as a "top dog" ruling a group of similar-aged compatriots," Mech writes in the 1999 paper, "is particularly misleading." Mech notes that earlier papers, such as M.W. Fox's "Socio-ecological implications of individual differences in wolf litters: a developmental and evolutionary perspective," published in Behaviour in 1971, examined the potential of individual cubs to become alphas, implying that the wolves would someday live in packs in which some would become alphas and others would be subordinate pack members. However, Mech explains, his studies of wild wolves have found that wolves live in families: two parents along with their younger cubs. Wolves do not have an innate sense of rank; they are not born leaders or born followers. The "alphas" are simply what we would call in any other social group "parents." The offspring follow the parents as naturally as they would in any other species. No one has "won" a role as leader of the pack; the parents may assert dominance over the offspring by virtue of being the parents.

While the captive wolf studies saw unrelated adults living together in captivity, related, rather than unrelated, wolves travel together in the wild. Younger wolves do not overthrow the "alpha" to become the leader of the pack; as wolf pups grow older, they are dispersed from their parents' packs, pair off with other dispersed wolves, have pups, and thus form packs of their own.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

^ Someone tell that to Cesar Milan.

(Argh I can't stand him.)

xSilverPhinx

I may be anthropomorphising here but there are so many similarities between wolves and humans it's uncanny. :P

Magdalena

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 25, 2018, 01:55:06 PM
...I'm alpha (as defined by strength of presence; invariably mine is most pronounced, been described as intimidating. i'm worse in person)...

Well, my dear, Mr. Alpha, but not Omega, how is that working for you?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Quote from: Recusant on March 25, 2018, 10:35:33 PM
Just to note that the pervasive "alpha/beta" analysis of human interaction is absurdly oversimplified and rooted in debunked ideas about wolf behavior.
Yea.    All true.   We have our own dynamics.   

Quote from: Magdalena on March 25, 2018, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 25, 2018, 01:55:06 PM
...I'm alpha (as defined by strength of presence; invariably mine is most pronounced, been described as intimidating. i'm worse in person)...

Well, my dear, Mr. Alpha, but not Omega, how is that working for you?

^yea, that's me alright.
Omega, the iconoclasts, right?   That might fit me better, seeing as how I don't need the population for my dominance, nor do I seek their approval/support of it.   I'm not really sure what to make of myself in all that; the only thing I'm clear on is I'm not built like the rest of em.   

Wolves rock.
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 26, 2018, 01:56:54 AM
... the only thing I'm clear on is I'm not built like the rest of em.   

...Deep down we're all very similar.  :sad sigh:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Quote from: Magdalena on March 26, 2018, 02:27:30 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 26, 2018, 01:56:54 AM
... the only thing I'm clear on is I'm not built like the rest of em.   

...Deep down we're all very similar.  :sad sigh:
Yea, can't argue against that.   Besides, in spite of having some complex thoughts, I find myself to be a very simple person, with simple needs/desires.