News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

I Got Mine, Jack

Started by Recusant, September 06, 2019, 09:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Benny Hinn says that he no longer believes in the "prosperity gospel." Hard to say what exactly is behind this, but I see no indication in the stories I've read that he intends to donate a single cent of his millions to helping the poor, or any other charitable cause. The fact that he's still putting up shows pushing the prosperity gospel calls his sincerity into doubt. Perhaps we can apply Betteridge's Law of Headlines in the case of the second story.

"Benny Hinn renounces prosperity gospel, says 'Holy Ghost is just fed up with it'" | Christian Post

QuoteDeclaring that the "Holy Ghost is just fed up with it," controversial televangelist Benny Hinn, formerly one of the most aggressive proponents of the prosperity gospel, has for the first time in his career, delivered a full-throated rejection of the practice that made him and his family millions.

The prosperity gospel teaches, among other things, that believers have a right to the blessings of health and wealth, and they can obtain these blessings through positive confessions of faith and the "sowing of seeds" through the faithful payments of tithes and offerings.

Speaking to his followers during a Facebook Live broadcast on Monday night (which was first highlighted by Larry Reid Live), Hinn, who has long been a lightning rod for criticism for his support of the theology, declared the Gospel "is not for sale."

"I'm sorry to say that prosperity has gone a little crazy and I'm correcting my own theology and you need to all know it. Because when I read the Bible now, I don't see the Bible in the same eyes I saw 20 years ago," Hinn said as his followers rejoiced.

[Continues . . .]

"Has Benny Hinn Repented of the Prosperity Gospel?" | ChurchLeaders

QuoteFinancial requests are still airing on Benny Hinn's shows, and his nephew hopes they're simply prerecorded holdovers. Costi [Hinn] urges Benny "to put out a statement or even do a Facebook Live video saying he has repented."

Last year, Benny Hinn also appeared to backtrack from prosperity teachings, explaining that prosperity actually means "no lack." Jesus and his apostles weren't wealthy, he noted, yet "None lacked among them."

Speaking with Faithwire, Costi Hinn says he's hopeful that "with each apparent epiphany" Benny is "truly genuine in repenting"—but notes that "remorse and repentance" are different. He continues: "My prayer is that he is more than just sorry because his ministry is in decline or he's getting bad PR. I pray that he turns to Christ and preaches the true gospel with no motive except to be faithful."

Evangelist Justin Peters also expressed skepticism, tweeting Wednesday: "I would love nothing more than for Benny Hinn to repent. Truly. But he has not. Despite promising in a video yesterday he would never do it again, he put this video up TODAY in which he is asking people to sow $120 to get out of debt."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Disingenuous, to say the least.

Icarus

Benny Hinn is near the very top of the list of America's most reprehensible charlatans.  For his healing scams he should receive serious daily corporal punishment every day for the rest of his miserable life.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on September 07, 2019, 02:01:27 AM
Benny Hinn is near the very top of the list of America's most reprehensible charlatans.  For his healing scams he should receive serious daily corporal punishment every day for the rest of his miserable life.

He'd probably enjoy that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.