News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

I am afraid, and I've got a question about Christian "visions" of hell

Started by manga, April 02, 2017, 11:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manga

Ok, so on youtube there are a variety of videos on some pro-Christian channels that encompass interviews of Christians who apparently were sinners, did not go to church, drank alcohol, masturbated, etc and they talk about how they had Near Death Experiences or visions while they were sleeping where they visited hell. Some describe hell as flames with many demons, and very loud screams, others describe it as a dark quiet place without God. There seems to be a common theme of seeing demons which are together in clusters, trying to tear people apart. It is also common that they can see people suffering.
One experience kind of frightened me. It was about an elderly priest who used to be a firefighter when he was younger. He states that he took drugs often, smoked weed, drank, etc. He said he went to Sunday school for 12 years growing up, but that he never read the bible. Then he said his parents were not happy that he drank/ took drugs, so he stopped. One day, he was at work and somehow got electrocuted, and then he said he could still see clearly, suddenly, he saw utter darkness, and had a life review showing all of his sins ever committed. Then he saw demons, which mocked him, told him God didn't exist, and said "We've got you now". They were tearing into him much like the demons in the Howard Storm story. Then, this man saw fires, called out to God, and God's right hand came and pulled him out of the fire. Suddenly he was back at work and people came running as they heard him screaming. Then, he went to the hospital, and decided that he knew that hell was real.
What do you think could be an explanation of this experience? Do these so called "visions" give any of you atheists chills in case it is right?
How could someone who is electrocuted see these things? Could a brain really come up with such graphic imagery? Another thing I wonder is, are there demons depicted in Christian hell?
It seems a lot of people who claim to see hell in NDEs and other experiences say that they see demons who mock them.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

manga

I'm just really afraid of hell and I am hoping some people can give their opinions.

Arturo

These stories are lies. I've met people who've died and come back, had near death experiences, ect. They all state that you don't see anything. You don't even experience time. You just remember the moment before you die, and wake up where you wake up. There is nothing in between those things.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: manga on April 03, 2017, 12:04:05 AM
I'm just really afraid of hell and I am hoping some people can give their opinions.
Hello, manga, :computerwave:

It makes me feel sad that you live in constant fear.  :(

Are you this type of person?
Quote from: manga on April 02, 2017, 11:01:14 PM
...Christians who apparently were sinners, did not go to church, drank alcohol, masturbated, etc...
If not, why are you still afraid of going to hell? Does your religion want you to think about hell 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
Why the hell would they do that to you?  :headscratch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

manga

To be honest, I wouldn't believe in hell, but these videos touch a nerve. I just don't know how to explain them assuming the people who apparently "saw" hell are not lying

Magdalena

Quote from: manga on April 03, 2017, 01:22:16 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't believe in hell, but these videos touch a nerve. I just don't know how to explain them assuming the people who apparently "saw" hell are not lying
So, which one is it?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

manga

Ok, I know that it is irrational, but these videos of reverends saying they saw hell scares me, as it could potentially be true.

Magdalena

Quote from: manga on April 03, 2017, 02:28:12 AM
Ok, I know that it is irrational, but these videos of reverends saying they saw hell scares me, as it could potentially be true.

...And it could not be true, as well.
I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.

hermes2015

I don't believe that you are really scared. I smell a hidden agenda here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Velma

It is quite odd how these stories line up with the belief system of the story teller. Catholics see their version, Protestants see whatever version their theology tauts, Muslims, Buddhists, all see what they have been taught is the afterlife - outside of those few stories clearly designed to show the superiority of their afterlife over others by having someone from another faith tradition see that afterlife. Although it seems rather odd that supernatural beings can't be bothered to show themselves or any part of their "paradise" except to people who are in no position to provide believable testimony. When I was six, due to blood loss, I once saw a giant, wooden, alphabet block and a giant stuffed rabbit on the way to the hospital. When I was a bit older, I once saw Tribbles climbing the walls of my bedroom due a high fever. Extreme physical stress can do odd things to people. Hmmmm, does that mean my afterlife is giant children's toys and sci-fi characters?

That said, my husband had died three times. No visions, no voices, no consciousness, just nothingness like going to sleep or being put under anesthesia.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

There is no evidence it exists. Stop worrying.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Firstly, stop watching these kinds of videos! If you find you cannot do this seek help.

As has been said, each person sees the variety of hell they have been programmed to, thus "hell" is in tbeir mind. If they are telling the truth about some kind of experience they are suffering hallucinations or something like  "night terror", a sleep/dream disorder where it is difficult to distinguish between dream (usually bad) and reality..

I have suffered both night terrors (befire my heart attack) and been very close to death (after my heart attack). My concious rejection of religion st an early age posdibly meant that there was no recognisable "religious content" in my night terror. Yes, one can remember them and my, more rational, concious mind dismissed them as figments of the unconcious, indicators of an underlying problem.

Mangs, you have not told us of your own background. Your chosen handle could be either ironic or an indicator of interest in fantasy - care to tell us which?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Velma on April 03, 2017, 06:43:46 AM
It is quite odd how these stories line up with the belief system of the story teller. Catholics see their version, Protestants see whatever version their theology tauts, Muslims, Buddhists, all see what they have been taught is the afterlife - outside of those few stories clearly designed to show the superiority of their afterlife over others by having someone from another faith tradition see that afterlife. Although it seems rather odd that supernatural beings can't be bothered to show themselves or any part of their "paradise" except to people who are in no position to provide believable testimony. When I was six, due to blood loss, I once saw a giant, wooden, alphabet block and a giant stuffed rabbit on the way to the hospital. When I was a bit older, I once saw Tribbles climbing the walls of my bedroom due a high fever. Extreme physical stress can do odd things to people. Hmmmm, does that mean my afterlife is giant children's toys and sci-fi characters?

That said, my husband had died three times. No visions, no voices, no consciousness, just nothingness like going to sleep or being put under anesthesia.

I'll tell you and everyone else what I saw walking down the hallway after smoking a joint with my friend's dad. A floating red ball. The fuck does that mean to anyone?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

manga

Quote from: Gloucester on April 03, 2017, 07:56:20 AM

Firstly, stop watching these kinds of videos! If you find you cannot do this seek help.

As has been said, each person sees the variety of hell they have been programmed to, thus "hell" is in tbeir mind. If they are telling the truth about some kind of experience they are suffering hallucinations or something like  "night terror", a sleep/dream disorder where it is difficult to distinguish between dream (usually bad) and reality..

I have suffered both night terrors (befire my heart attack) and been very close to death (after my heart attack). My concious rejection of religion st an early age posdibly meant that there was no recognisable "religious content" in my night terror. Yes, one can remember them and my, more rational, concious mind dismissed them as figments of the unconcious, indicators of an underlying problem.

Mangs, you have not told us of your own background. Your chosen handle could be either ironic or an indicator of interest in fantasy - care to tell us which?

I actually came from a Christian background. I totally believed it, until I was a teen, went to a museum and learned about evolution. After that, I started to realize that so many of these "religious" explanations are bogus, and scientific rational explanations are more sufficient. I was young at the time, and I thought the bible was bogus too. I was kind of excited to think that I might be on to something (debunking religion) and I was a bit rebellious, so I jumped on the atheist bandwagon. Although I did honestly have doubts, and I did really believe what science told me. I was about 85-90% there, and I guess out of excitement, the idea that there isn't some being watching over me judging my every move, I was happy to identify as an atheist. However, a friend of mine a few months later sent me all these Near Death Experience videos of atheists seeing hell such as Howard Storm, Ian mcormick, Don Brubaker. Then, videos of Mulsims seeing Jesus in NDEs and going to hell, and I guess my whole childhood fear got reactivated, and now I worry, what if it is true. I don't just want to go back into religion, as that doesn't seem rational, but I don't know if hell exists, so I am kind of on some sideline, not knowing what to do.