"Why Evangelicals and Social Justice Warriors Trigger Me in the Same Way"

Started by Sandra Craft, February 02, 2019, 10:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Why Evangelicals and Social Justice Warriors Trigger Me in the Same Way

Think this belongs here, not really sure.  I've been reading a lot of Tarico lately and find her thoughts interesting.  I also find her comments section refreshingly free of asshattery, even among those who disagree with her.

Also, she finally defined for me what "woke" means:

QuoteIt occurred to me recently that my time in Evangelicalism and subsequent journey out have a lot to do with why I find myself reactive to the spread of Woke culture among colleagues, political soulmates, and friends. Christianity takes many forms, with Evangelicalism being one of the more single-minded, dogmatic, groupish and enthusiastic among them. The Woke—meaning progressives who have "awoken" to the idea that oppression is the key concept explaining the structure of society, the flow of history, and virtually all of humanity's woes—share these qualities.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

I found that interesting, probably because it mostly accords with my own thoughts.
As a lefty I think the woke approach is counterproductive, zealous views lead to a bias against the left, provide ammunition to the right.
The woke folk certainly do seem to bask in their righteousness, there has been a bit of it around here, labelling people racists for disliking rap for example.  I've heard liking rap can be construed as cultural appropriation, it's hard to win on that one.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

*O Tannenbaum melody* O Asmobait, o Asmobait, an Asmo may be near. O Asmobait, o Asmobait, put some of you right here.

...Before long, there was a passing Asmo,

"Dumdidumdi... Eh?"

...and then, :hooked:

Overall, I share the sentiment that Social Justice Warriors are a cult, or at least, close enough to one. I have taken to wonder lately, if the surge of Atheism back in our "glory days" may have had some accelerating effect on its growth? It does seem like a lot of people who claim to have let go of their gods may have merely rebranded their religion and moved their objects of faith onto more "Earthly" matters. Sinful is he, who's born white. Oppressed are the faithful, but ONE DAY! Words have almost "magical" power... Etc. Of course, one does not have to believe all that nonsense all the time, much like if you are Christian, for example, but a white baby being born under the bridge to a couple of crack addicts somehow oppressing the darker man through the power of its white privilege? It's wrong, and personally, I find it disgusting, especially seeing how those who publicly preach SJW-nonsense, much like those who preach that of more Divine variety, tend to project their own mindset, socioeconomic status, etc onto others. Blessed are the middle class progressives, for they shall inherit what's left of the Earth when all is said and done. Into the metaphorical ovens with the rest, unless they repent and become like us!

So yeah... Will need to come back to this thread. I do have one or two comments to the article, but no time to do a proper response now.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 03, 2019, 03:34:19 AM
I found that interesting, probably because it mostly accords with my own thoughts.
As a lefty I think the woke approach is counterproductive, zealous views lead to a bias against the left, provide ammunition to the right.
The woke folk certainly do seem to bask in their righteousness, there has been a bit of it around here, labelling people racists for disliking rap for example.  I've heard liking rap can be construed as cultural appropriation, it's hard to win on that one.

Yeah, I'm finding a whole lot of damned if you do and damned if you don't among the new progressives, those who hate mere liberals for not being sufficiently Left.  Curiously enough, or maybe not, both far right and far left zealots share a contempt for compromise -- that thing without which nothing ever gets done. 
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2019, 10:12:57 AM
*O Tannenbaum melody* O Asmobait, o Asmobait, an Asmo may be near. O Asmobait, o Asmobait, put some of you right here.

...Before long, there was a passing Asmo,

"Dumdidumdi... Eh?"

...and then, :hooked:

You've been waiting for a chance to use that smilie, haven't you?

So yeah... Will need to come back to this thread. I do have one or two comments to the article, but no time to do a proper response now.

Dun dun DUNNNN!!
Sandy

Asmodean

Quote from: Sandra Craft on February 03, 2019, 10:57:54 AM
Curiously enough, or maybe not, both far right and far left zealots share a contempt for compromise -- that thing without which nothing ever gets done.
Actually, I may end up doing a thread on this. The rightmost and leftmost fringes share a LOT of traits.

QuoteYou've been waiting for a chance to use that smilie, haven't you?
Mmmmayhavedone :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

As someone who was heavily involved with left wing politics not too very long ago, you'd be surprised by just how willing many of the "old hands" are willing to compromise and even work with conservatives, when it suits their purpose. Yes, you have the true lunatics who advocate for N. Korea and the like, but they are very much in the minority.

A lot of the loudest voices tend to be the newest voices. There's a sense of awakening that leads to a certain strident attitude when people first get involved. This is especially true when they are safely tucked behind a keyboard or phone. Give them a few years of trying to herd cats - commies are worse than atheists in this respect - and they'll either give up, change their minds, or settle in for the long slog. Oh, they may also fall in with the lunatics. I have seen that happen before.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on February 03, 2019, 02:00:26 PM
As someone who was heavily involved with left wing politics not too very long ago, you'd be surprised by just how willing many of the "old hands" are willing to compromise and even work with conservatives, when it suits their purpose. Yes, you have the true lunatics who advocate for N. Korea and the like, but they are very much in the minority.

A lot of the loudest voices tend to be the newest voices. There's a sense of awakening that leads to a certain strident attitude when people first get involved. This is especially true when they are safely tucked behind a keyboard or phone. Give them a few years of trying to herd cats - commies are worse than atheists in this respect - and they'll either give up, change their minds, or settle in for the long slog. Oh, they may also fall in with the lunatics. I have seen that happen before.

It's the newest ones that are giving me the pip.  They seem to be coming on like the Lefts version of the Tea Party and I dread the idea of them acquiring the same influence on the Left that the Tea Party has on the Right.  One quality that upset me the most during the horror of 2016 was the "burn it all down" attitude that didn't give a damn about using the poor and vulnerable as cannon fodder.  And then they had the nerve not to understand why those poor and vulnerable would back the Democratic Old Guard.
Sandy