News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Armed "Militia", Bundy Brothers, Take Over Federal Building in Rural Oregon

Started by Pasta Chick, January 03, 2016, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

I don't even know where to start, so I'm just titling the thread with the article title and linking out. I'll say I have an enormous fucking problem with this being referred to as a "militia" and leave it at that.

Armed Militia, Bundy Brothers, Take Over Federal Building in Rural Oregon

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on January 03, 2016, 10:13:36 PMSometimes one just wonders where this will all end.

Maybe not this time, but it's not hard to imagine something like this leading to some widespread shedding of blood. There is definitely an element of apocalypse fantasists in the United States that is itching to use the weapons and ammunition they've been stockpiling for the past decade or so. While they've been building up their private armories, they've been telling each other that "it's just around to corner."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 03, 2016, 05:40:21 PM
I don't even know where to start, so I'm just titling the thread with the article title and linking out. I'll say I have an enormous fucking problem with this being referred to as a "militia" and leave it at that.

Armed Militia, Bundy Brothers, Take Over Federal Building in Rural Oregon

I think the media is using "militia" because that's what this gang of white-skinned thugs calls themselves.  If they had brown skin, the media would have no problem calling them thugs.  I just can't believe none of these idiots were jailed long ago.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Occupying a federal building almost has to bring some kind of response.  We'll see if Obama can keep this from turning into another Waco or Ruby Ridge.

Pasta Chick

I've been hearing a lot of comparisons to Waco.

My favorite suggestion so far has been to starve them out. It's tempting to think of bringing a drone in to turn the place to toothpicks, but that will play right into the hands of these fucking lunatics and delusional paranoia of government overreach.

Recusant

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 03, 2016, 11:52:05 PM

My favorite suggestion so far has been to starve them out. It's tempting to think of bringing a drone in to turn the place to toothpicks, but that will play right into the hands of these fucking lunatics and delusional paranoia of government overreach.

Bring in a heavy duty sound system and play Coltrane for them 24/7.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on January 04, 2016, 12:13:18 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 03, 2016, 11:52:05 PM

Bring in a heavy duty sound system and play Coltrane for them 24/7.

:mb lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

Firebird

White right-wing militias scare me way more than Islamic terrorism in this country. With all the nutcases with guns running around here, I'm surprised no one's tried to take a shot at President Obama yet.
And just to be clear, I'm saying it's good no one has, in case some Secret Service agent stumbles across this comment  :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 03, 2016, 11:01:04 PM

I think the media is using "militia" because that's what this gang of white-skinned thugs calls themselves.  If they had brown skin, the media would have no problem calling them thugs.  I just can't believe none of these idiots were jailed long ago.
They should just call them what they really are. Terrorists.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 04, 2016, 10:07:05 AM

Nope. They haven't killed/harmed/kidnapped anyone for the purpose of causing terror. So they aren't yet terrorists.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on January 04, 2016, 12:40:04 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 04, 2016, 10:07:05 AM

Nope. They haven't killed/harmed/kidnapped anyone for the purpose of causing terror. So they aren't yet terrorists.
Fair enough. So only armed criminals with an agenda.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Crow

Quote from: Tank on January 04, 2016, 12:40:04 PM

They could, using weapons to intimidate for political goal is a form of terrorism.
Retired member.