News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Pseudoscience/sham cancer treatments

Started by McQ, July 13, 2006, 01:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

Update on Starchild Abraham Cherrix:

ACCOMAC, Va. (AP) â€" A 16-year-old cancer patient's legal fight ended in victory Wednesday when his family's attorneys and social services officials reached an agreement that would allow him to forgo chemotherapy.

At the start of what was scheduled to be a two-day hearing, Accomack County Circuit Judge Glen A. Tyler announced that both sides had reached a consent decree, which Tyler approved.

Under the decree, Starchild Abraham Cherrix, who is battling Hodgkin's disease, will be treated by an oncologist of his choice who is board-certified in radiation therapy and interested in alternative treatments. The family must provide the court updates on Abraham's treatment and condition every three months until he's cured or turns 18.

Tyler emphasized that the decree states that the parents weren't medically neglectful.

Full Article

silviakjell

Quote from: "imrational"There are many problems with herbal therapies.  In a NCCAM-funded study of ginseng products, they found  most contained less than 1/2 the amount of ginseng listed on the labels.

One study analyzed 59 preparations of echinacea, half did not contain the species listed on the label.

It might work, but not in the way thought. i.e. side effects.
Ginseng can increase caffeine effects, lower blood sugar levels, interact  with the diabetic medication glyburide & several others?
Ginkgo, taken with anticoagulant or antiplatelet drugs, can potentiate bleeding.
St. John’s Wort may cause increased sensitivity to sunlight, anxiety, dry mouth, dizziness, GI upset, fatigue, Heachache, and/or sexual dysfunction.

The worst example of "healthy herbs"?!?  Echinacea.  It is the number 1 selling herbal remedy in America and people really don't know about it.  Originally thought to be beneficial for the immune system because test subjects' white blood cell counts went up after they took it.  However, later research showed that these white blood cells (WBCs) were malformed.  Were these WBCs still effective?
No.  Studies indicate that echinacea does not appear to prevent colds or other infections and does not shorten course of colds or flu.

It has been shown to DECREASE WBCs when taken long term.
Echinacea is ACTIVELY HARMFUL and not beneficial!!!!!

Oh no, Oh No, OH NO!!!(!!!!!!) We have a bottle of Enchinacea at home and I used to eat a pill or two whenever I felt a cold coming on! Although it didn't really help that much, I basically just trusted the back of the container. At least it tells you not to take it for extended periods of time.

Malformed white blood cells?!?! You can give me the scariest nuclear bomb movie and I won'd give a dam, but if it talks about some evil mastermind creating a cell mutating gas or whatever, it scares the shit out of me! Ah! I know I'm over-reacting but I really, really hate things that change the natural process of your body. I'm going to call home as soon as it gets to 8:00 and my family wakes up to tell them to throw the enchinacea away.
I might be wrong, but Im pretty sure Im right.

Squid

One good thing to do if you want to try out supplements - do some research.  It can be as simple as typing the product name into a PubMed search and you can see the most recent research on it and not the crap new age or supplement websites give you.