Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Buddy on March 21, 2018, 03:17:50 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 21, 2018, 01:56:06 AM
Best of luck Bud. Get a manual next time, or at least a traditional automatic!

Would love to get a manual, but my new job has me in a larger city and I do not want to be messing around with shifting in rush hour traffic.

This is the car I am looking at specifically. I side eyed the steptronic automatic for a while but after chatting with the folks in my MINI club and various forums I think I'll be okay. Definitely getting an extended warranty though.

That car looks kool Buddy, and hopefully you'll just be transferring that awesome license plate you have from the old vehicle to the new one!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 21, 2018, 06:01:07 PM
That car looks kool Buddy, and hopefully you'll just be transferring that awesome license plate you have from the old vehicle to the new one!

I would like to see the plate - I must have missed it if you posted a picture of it before.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Guardian85

Quote from: Buddy on March 21, 2018, 03:17:50 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 21, 2018, 01:56:06 AM
Best of luck Bud. Get a manual next time, or at least a traditional automatic!

Would love to get a manual, but my new job has me in a larger city and I do not want to be messing around with shifting in rush hour traffic.

This is the car I am looking at specifically. I side eyed the steptronic automatic for a while but after chatting with the folks in my MINI club and various forums I think I'll be okay. Definitely getting an extended warranty though.
Cute little car!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2018, 06:14:17 PM

I would like to see the plate - I must have missed it if you posted a picture of it before.

It's really cool.

Buddy actually had a contest here at HAF for someone to come up with a personalized plate for her new car (Mini-Cooper), winners submission was taken to the DMV.

I forget who won, but they must have been really smrt, as the winning plate design was extremely witty.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 21, 2018, 07:17:11 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 21, 2018, 06:14:17 PM

It's really cool.

Buddy actually had a contest here at HAF for someone to come up with a personalized plate for her new car (Mini-Cooper), winners submission was taken to the DMV.

I forget who won, but they must have been really smrt, as the winning plate design was extremely witty.

I remember who won...I thought we'd never hear the end of it, just like what happened in the case of the number of views on a 'balls' thread a while back.  ::)

;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

So against my better judgement, I have enrolled in 6 classes, each of which seems to involve a monstrous amount of reading and work. I shall have to write an epitaph for my Free Time soon.

Dave

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,

William Henry Davies
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 21, 2018, 07:06:42 PM

Cute little car!

It has a turbocharger so it's not cute it's mean.  ;)

Don't worry Bruno, the SMLLLKAR plate will be transferred to the new car. I promise I will take pictures when I (hopefully) get it on Saturday. I already have a name picked out too, I'm calling it Jezza.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 21, 2018, 10:14:06 PM

William Henry Davies

That is so sad.  :'(

Living in the past and in the future, never in the moment.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2018, 10:16:02 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 21, 2018, 10:14:06 PM

William Henry Davies

That is so sad.  :'(

Living in the past and in the future, never in the moment.

Naw, just suggesting that time should be reserved for daydreaming and wool gathering, detaching oneself from everyday hassle!

Or, as Omar Khayyam had it (as translated by Justin McCarthy (1888)):

Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom.

Though he does involve another there.

Icarus

Buddy the Mini is a cute little machine that is criminally overpriced.

I have no illusions about changing your mind....... however.......Consider a Subau Imprezza.  It is much more reliable, has a better safety record, gets good gas mileage, and costs far less than the ostentatious Mini. Something on the order of ten grand less.  Not only that but the Subaru is an all wheel drive vehicle that will be an advantage in bad weather like snow, ice, or thunderstorm.  You could drive it into the horse pasture and conceivably drive it back out.  Try that with a Mini.

OK....OK you are stoked with the Mini.  Not the smartest vehicle to buy but if it satisfies a passion....you gotta do what you gotta do.

In a feeble effort at humor, here is a limerick about tiny cars............... ::)

There was an old man from Boston
He traded his Ford for an Austin
He had room for his ass and a gallon of gas
But his balls hung out and he lost 'em. 

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on March 21, 2018, 10:30:04 PM
Buddy the Mini is a cute little machine that is criminally overpriced.

I have no illusions about changing your mind....... however.......Consider a Subau Imprezza.  It is much more reliable, has a better safety record, gets good gas mileage, and costs far less than the ostentatious Mini. Something on the order of ten grand less.  Not only that but the Subaru is an all wheel drive vehicle that will be an advantage in bad weather like snow, ice, or thunderstorm.  You could drive it into the horse pasture and conceivably drive it back out.  Try that with a Mini.

OK....OK you are stoked with the Mini.  Not the smartest vehicle to buy but if it satisfies a passion....you gotta do what you gotta do.

In a feeble effort at humor, here is a limerick about tiny cars............... ::)

There was an old man from Boston
He traded his Ford for an Austin
He had room for his ass and a gallon of gas
But his balls hung out and he lost 'em. 

Oi! I have a tiny csr (Toyota Aygo) and am very happy with it . . . Mostly.

Icarus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2018, 10:00:38 PM
So against my better judgement, I have enrolled in 6 classes, each of which seems to involve a monstrous amount of reading and work. I shall have to write an epitaph for my Free Time soon.

Silver; That is a load even if two of the six are about elementary underwater basket weaving.  I will pray for you.....to the FSM of course.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 21, 2018, 10:28:26 PM
Give me a flagon of red wine, a book of verses, a loaf of bread, and a little idleness. If with such store I might sit by thy dear side in some lonely place, I should deem myself happier than a king in his kingdom.

I love that!  ;D

:notsure: Though...what kind of bread are we talking about here? Hopefully wholesome wheat bread or something grainy... :grin: