News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 02, 2018, 06:58:07 PM
OMG I'm so happy...the Nazi's are here!

Someone get the tea kettle going, meanwhile I'll make up some delicious crumpets. I usually just like mine warm with butter, but I'm sure we can also provide some sweet or savory toppings to go with these.

It will be so nice...sigh. :dance:

"HUGS EVERYONE"

:daddance:

Yeah, I predict this won't last long.  Still, I'll make some of those little sandwiches to go with your tea and crumpets.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on March 02, 2018, 07:15:30 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on March 02, 2018, 06:58:07 PM
OMG I'm so happy...the Nazi's are here!

Someone get the tea kettle going, meanwhile I'll make up some delicious crumpets. I usually just like mine warm with butter, but I'm sure we can also provide some sweet or savory toppings to go with these.

It will be so nice...sigh. :dance:

"HUGS EVERYONE"

:daddance:

Yeah, I predict this won't last long.  Still, I'll make some of those little sandwiches to go with your tea and crumpets.

I was packing my shit. I was on my way out. But then I saw a Nazi come in. I noticed that some welcomed him. I dropped my bags and thought, "Maybe I can stay for one more cup of tea."

Can we use this as our tablecloth? You know...To make him feel welcomed.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Grumpy no more!

The antifreese has worked! My kitchen sink now drains freely - more freely than before after some of the pipework got a reaming out!

Side benefit is that the cupboard under the sink (full of cleaning stuff and recycling bin) has had its most thorough cleaning since I installed it over 10 years ago. Floor next.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

The new washing machine just arrived! The old one broke, as if it suddenly decided it would just sit there and die after it has signed a mechanical "Do Not Revive Fix" statement.

Motor problems.  :sadnod: We said our goodbyes and called the garbage company so that they could collect the metal carcass as quickly as possible. 

:sad sigh:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 07:54:29 PM
The new washing machine just arrived! The old one broke, as if it suddenly decided it would just sit there and die after it has signed a mechanical "Do Not Revive Fix" statement.

Motor problems.  :sadnod: We said our goodbyes and called the garbage company so that they could collect the metal carcass as quickly as possible. 

Sometimes it's like saying goodbye to a friend . . .

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 14, 2018, 08:00:03 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 14, 2018, 07:54:29 PM

Sometimes it's like saying goodbye to a friend . . .

It does, up until the point we started to discuss selling it for parts. I would never do that to a friend. Really!  :devil:

jumbojak

The repair person said it was motor problems? I've seen a lot of washing machines break down but never a failed motor. The brushless motors most use keep going for a looooong time. They weren't the same folks who sold you the new washer were they?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 15, 2018, 12:24:34 AM
The repair person said it was motor problems? I've seen a lot of washing machines break down but never a failed motor. The brushless motors most use keep going for a looooong time. They weren't the same folks who sold you the new washer were they?

Motor and electric panel problems, according to the repair person. I don't discard the possibility that they're trying to scam us, saying it's a more serious issue than it actually is, but they were from the authorised repair service so it's less likely than if we called a random repairman. The washing machine was bought from a supermarket eons ago and is no longer under  guarantee so we thought it was time to buy a newer, more eco-friendly model which will save us costs in the long run.

Dave

Known of a couple of bearing failures rather than electrical ones. Happier with digital programmers, the old rotary switch jobs could be a bloody nuisance and a common cause for scrappage.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2018, 12:39:08 AM

Motor and electric panel problems, according to the repair person. I don't discard the possibility that they're trying to scam us, saying it's a more serious issue than it actually is, but they were from the authorised repair service so it's less likely than if we called a random repairman. The washing machine was bought from a supermarket eons ago and is no longer under  guarantee so we thought it was time to buy a newer, more eco-friendly model which will save us costs in the long run.

I don't doubt you could save in the long run. I'm impressed though that a supermarket sells large appliances.

Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 12:41:21 AM
Known of a couple of bearing failures rather than electrical ones. Happier with digital programmers, the old rotary switch jobs could be a bloody nuisance and a common cause for scrappage.

A bearing failure was my thinking. You can almost always find replacement bearings too. So long as the shaft wasn't totally wrecked it's usually fixable.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 15, 2018, 01:40:08 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2018, 12:39:08 AM

I don't doubt you could save in the long run. I'm impressed though that a supermarket sells large appliances.

Sorry, autocorrect changed 'hypermarket' to 'supermarket'.  ::) The french chain Carrefour to be exact.

Icarus

JJ and Dave, I agree that bearing failure may have been the cause. The three of us might have merely replaced the bearings but that is not the way the world works these days.  Parts are no longer replaced as in the practical and sensible and economic ways of the past.  Shit can the whole thing and replace it with a more expensive new one. Sad but true.........

xSilverPhinx

So...today autumn starts in the southern hemisphere! Colder days! :dance:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2018, 11:22:42 AM
So...today autumn starts in the southern hemisphere! Colder days! :dance:
That's a coincidence, we have just moved into Spring - warmer days  :dance:

Dave