News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

"DO - YOU - SPEAK - ENGLISH."

Started by Dave, June 02, 2018, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Sort of like Glaswegian, some of our more bucolic citizens use terms such as "y'all come".  That is an expression of courtesy that invites a visitor to return soon for another visit.   This observation is not to demean them in any way. They use terms with mutual understanding and it works for them.

Bluenose

I find differences in language fascinating.  One of my favourites is the language used in the Navy.  Most people know about words like deck, bulkhead etc, but how many know what these words mean?

Squarie
Redders
Goffa
Gash
Snotty
Roughers
Scran
Slops
Kellick (or killick)
Maccas (and no, it's not McDonald's)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Gash - rubbish? spare?
Snotty - midshipman?
Scran - food? Especially scrounged or casual.
Kellick (or killick) - anchor? Bosun or Petty officer of similar rank?

The first and third were those in RAFese

Other RAFese:
Erk
Yonks
Clag
Cat 5
Snowdrop
Fizzer
Jankers

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

Gash - rubbish? spare?  yep
Snotty - midshipman?  yep
Scran - food? Especially scrounged or casual.  All food, a meal - Sh*t Cooked by the Royal Australian Navy
Kellick (or killick) - anchor? Bosun or Petty officer of similar rank?  A leading seaman, a "hookey", because of the anchor that is his badge of rank

The first and third were those in RAFese

Other RAFese:
Erk  pilot officer?
Yonks  A long time?
Clag    glue, or shitty weather?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on June 23, 2018, 09:40:51 AM
Try understanding a conversation between two Glaswegians who don't want you to. :Gaah:
Or even if they want to. No difference.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2018, 08:40:47 AM
Quote from: OldGit on June 23, 2018, 09:40:51 AM
Try understanding a conversation between two Glaswegians who don't want you to. :Gaah:
Or even if they want to. No difference.

Ha!  I shared a cabin with a Glaswegian lad when I joined the Navy.  After a couple of weeks I became a sort of translator for the rest of our course mates.  If anyone had difficulty understanding him, the accent got thicker and thicker.  LOL.  He was a good bloke nevertheless and became an excellent pilot.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Hmm, "yonks" may have been "RAFese," but it's been in general use in the UK since at least the 1960s. The OED admits: "Origin unknown," though the online Oxford Dictionaries says, "perhaps related to donkey's years."
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 24, 2018, 11:16:18 AM
Hmm, "yonks" may have been "RAFese," but it's been in general use in the UK since at least the 1960s. The OED admits: "Origin unknown," though the online Oxford Dictionaries says, "perhaps related to donkey's years."
I joined the RAF in 1961!

Seems like kiloyonks ago!

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

I have to be careful not to incorporate so-called anglicanisms that are common throughout Brazil (it seems), which are not correct usage, such as shopping for shopping centre or mall.

'Shopping' has become a noun here.  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2018, 03:24:26 PM
I have to be careful not to incorporate so-called anglicanisms that are common throughout Brazil (it seems), which are not correct usage, such as shopping for shopping centre or mall.

So it's:
"Where are you going?"
"To the shopping."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on June 30, 2018, 03:31:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 30, 2018, 03:24:26 PM

So it's:
"Where are you going?"
"To the shopping."

Exactly.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

There was a book published back in the 60s called Let's Talk Strine by Afferbeck Lauder.  (Say it out loud, you'll get the meaning.) It allegedly documented Australian language usage, at least in the broad Aussie accent.  The following is an extract to give you the idea

Aorta: The english language contains many Greek, Latin, French, Italian and other foreign words, e.g. valet, vampire, vaudeville, vox-humana,
hippocrepiform, etc.  Strine, similarly, is richly studded with words and phrases taken from other, older tongues.  Many of these have, with
the passage of time, come to possess meanings different from their original ones.  Two typical examples are the German words Eiche
(Pronounced i-ker; meaning oak-tree) and Ersatz (pronounced air-sats; meaning substitute).  Both these are now Strine words, and are used in
the following manner: `Eiche nardly bleevit', and `Ersatz are trumps, dear, yegottny?

However, it is English which has contributed most to the Strine vocabulary.  Strine is full of words which were originally English. Aorta is a typical example.

Aorta (pronounced A-orta) is the vessel through which courses the life-blood of Strine public opinion.  Aorta is a composite but non-existant Authority which is held responsible for practically everything unpleasant in the Strine way of life; for the punishment of criminals; for the weather; for the Bomb and the Pill; for all public transport; and for all the manifold irritating trivia of everyday living.  Aorta comprises the Federal and State legislatures; local government councils; all public services; and even, it is now thought, Parents' and Citizens' Associations and the CSIRO.

Aorta is, in fact, the personification of the benevolently paternal welfare State to which all Strines - being fiercly independant and individualistic - appeal for help and comfort in moments of frustration and anguish.  The following are typical examples of such appeals.  They reveal the innate reasonableness and sense of justice which all Strines possess to such a marked degree:

`Aorta build another arber bridge.  An aorta stop half of these cars from cummer ninner the city - so a feller can get twirkon time.'

`Aorta mica laura genst all these prairlers and sleshers an pervs. Aorta puttem in jile an shootem.'

`Aorta stop all these transistors from cummer ninner the country. Look what they doone to the weather.  All this rine! Doan tell me it's
not all these transistors - an all these hydrigen bombs too.  Aorta stoppem!'

`Aorta have more buses.  An aorta milkem smaller so they don't take up half the road.  An aorta put more seats innem so you doan tefter stann all the time.  An aorta have more room innem - you carn tardly move innem air so crairded.  Aorta do something about it.'

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Yes, Strine is a rich language where "Emma Chissit" is not a personal name but an enquirey as to the cost.

Icarus

Blue that is a hoot.  Aussies do talk funny.

Many years ago the world championship of sailing was to be held in Aussie land.  A sailing magazine that I subscribed to did an humorous, well presumably humorous to we yanks, article entitled: Let stalk Strine.  The article instructed us about how to understand what the hell the locals were talking about.  The article was done in good humor and did not demean the antipodeans in the slightest.  It only meant to tell us that Aussies are inclined to string one word into the next which is perfectly normal for themselves but may be a bit mysterious to we foreigners.