News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

From Jesus Freak to Polyamorous Pansexual

Started by Sandra Craft, January 20, 2018, 02:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I found this intersting, esp. since the author's description of her relationship with her body during her Jesus Freak period closely resembled mine when young, altho mine had a cause other than the Purity Culture. I don't recall the Purity Culture being around in my day, tho the basic message was definitely around.

From Jesus Freak to Polyamorous Pansexual: a Purity Culture Diary
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Wow! I had no idea!  :unsure:

Quote...I mean, as a Christian, I was part of the church, which was supposed to be God's bride when he returned. I was also his daughter and servant. We were supposed to desire God. To yearn after Him. To want to touch Him (in the secret, in the quiet plaaace). We literally begged him to fill the God-shaped hole in our hearts...
This is so strange.  :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on January 20, 2018, 06:48:19 AM

Quote...I mean, as a Christian, I was part of the church, which was supposed to be God's bride when he returned. I was also his daughter and servant. We were supposed to desire God. To yearn after Him. To want to touch Him (in the secret, in the quiet plaaace). We literally begged him to fill the God-shaped hole in our hearts...

If you take any Xtian rock song, and change "god" to "baby", it's a conventional rock love song.
Sandy

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 20, 2018, 07:52:09 AM

If you take any Xtian rock song, and change "god" to "baby", it's a conventional rock love song.

Presumably the reverse applies?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

I think I understand now. It's like that song from the movie, Sister Act.
Oh My God Lyrics
QuoteNothing you could say could tear me away from my God, (my God)
Nothing you
could do, 'cause I'm stuck like glue to my God, (my God, my God)
I'm
sticking to my God like a stamp to a letter,
Like birds of a feather we
stick together.
I'm tellin' you from the start, I can't be torn apart
from my God.

Nothing you could do could make me untrue to my God,
(my God)
Nothing you could buy could make me tell a lie to my God, (my
God, my God)
I gave my God my word of honour to be faithful, and I'm
gonna.
You best be believing I won't be deceiving my God.

Read more: Sister Act - Oh My God Lyrics | MetroLyrics

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

I read this article a few days ago and I was kind of delighted by her writing style. I can definitely identify with her upbringing in a "purity culture", and most of what she talked about, was part of my experience also. To look back on it now is so weird.... And I'm SO happy for Max and others like us, that break out of this heavy, destructive, shame-inducing thought process.

As for the music, you're right, almost any love song can be a Christian song if you change the pronoun to GOD. My favorite that I've ever heard morphed into a God song was Peter Gabriel's "Your Eyes".... I'll post the original just for fun. 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on January 20, 2018, 08:47:48 AM

Now curious about turning Nine Inch Nails "Closer" into a gospel song.  It could not only work, it'd actually be easy.

Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on January 20, 2018, 10:39:51 PM
Quote from: Dave on January 20, 2018, 08:47:48 AM

Now curious about turning Nine Inch Nails "Closer" into a gospel song.  It could not only work, it'd actually be easy.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.