News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The Unsung Hero of Heart Surgery

Started by Dave, December 13, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I find it difficult to find words to describe my feelings regarding this story of racial bias. It's quite a short account, just listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csvty1
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

That will not down load for me Dave.  Too bad, I suspect that it is a revealing article.

Sandra Craft

It's working for me, listening to it now.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on December 16, 2017, 06:57:15 AM
That will not down load for me Dave.  Too bad, I suspect that it is a revealing article.
Only revealing about the reputation of a white surgeon who rose in fame on the shoulders of a black man, being willing to treat that man as a servant.

QuoteThe African-American lab technician, Vivien Thomas, whose surgery helped save the lives of millions of babies but whose work went unrecognised for years. Claire Bowes has been listening to archive recordings of Vivien Thomas describing his long partnership with Dr Alfred Blalock, the man solely credited with inventing an operation in 1944 which helped manage a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 16, 2017, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: Icarus on December 16, 2017, 06:57:15 AM
Only revealing about the reputation of a white surgeon who rose in fame on the shoulders of a black man, being willing to treat that man as a servant.

QuoteThe African-American lab technician, Vivien Thomas, whose surgery helped save the lives of millions of babies but whose work went unrecognised for years. Claire Bowes has been listening to archive recordings of Vivien Thomas describing his long partnership with Dr Alfred Blalock, the man solely credited with inventing an operation in 1944 which helped manage a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot.

I think there's even a movie about that (unless I'm confusing the pair with another white surgeon and black lab technician) starring Alan Rickman.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2017, 12:16:12 PM

I think there's even a movie about that (unless I'm confusing the pair with another white surgeon and black lab technician) starring Alan Rickman.

Could be -- goodness knows this story is only one drop in a very large bucket.

(Went looking -- you were right, Silver)

Sandy

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on December 16, 2017, 11:10:26 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2017, 12:16:12 PM

Could be -- goodness knows this story is only one drop in a very large bucket.

(Went looking -- you were right, Silver)

Good find, Sandy, thanks.

Sandra Craft

They also have the full movie on YouTube.
Sandy

Dave