News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Creationist/Flat Earth/Etc Images

Started by Pasta Chick, December 07, 2016, 03:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: Dave on September 20, 2017, 09:14:22 PM
^
Naw, not escaping, it would be one one stupendous last ride into infinity.

Anyone see "Dark Star" and that final gravity "surf ride"?

Great film - love the bomb...

No one

Ecurb Noselrub:

Football player Sammy Watkins and basketball player Kyrie Irving believe in a flat earth.

I wonder it they play with flat balls (heh). 

Arturo

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 20, 2017, 10:41:50 PM
Football player Sammy Watkins and basketball player Kyrie Irving believe in a flat earth.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2734241?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

I wonder it they play with flat balls (heh).

I'm sure they are a bit frozen on the outside and blue and green on the inside as well?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Dark Star featured the cheapest alien ever to be considered a special effect!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Those are great.

Remind me of a video I saw where a guy thought that since the Earth rotates at about 1000 MPH as the conspirators want us to believe, that if he jumped, he would end up in a different state. He jumped and landed right where he started, thus proving that the Earth is flat and not spinning.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 24, 2017, 02:49:26 PM
Those are great.

Remind me of a video I saw where a guy thought that since the Earth rotates at about 1000 MPH as the conspirators want us to believe, that if he jumped, he would end up in a different state. He jumped and landed right where he started, thus proving that the Earth is flat and not spinning.

That started a line of thought in my mind. I can see how some might forget that the person jumping is also travelling at the same rotational velocity as the ground he or she is standing on, therefore will still have a vector in the direction of rotation as well.

But, they will also have intertia, will lose a little that "relative to Earth" horizontal velocity whilst they are airborn. Would they land in the exactly the same place on the micro or nano scale? The difference would actually be lost in all the "noise" in the system, slippage/skidding, limb position changes etc, but it should be possible to build an apparatus to test this to a high degree of accuracy.

But, is it worth it to test such a silly thing? Great as a sort of eccenctric exercise, a science folly, though! Worthy of the Ignoble Prize perhaps.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

They guy could go onto a bus and while it's in motion he could jump. If he doesn't die from the impact of the back of the bus, then his idea is pretty stupid.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 24, 2017, 03:59:38 PM
They guy could go onto a bus and while it's in motion he could jump. If he doesn't die from the impact of the back of the bus, then his idea is pretty stupid.

Ah, but. Yes, the person jumping in the bus problem. Before leaving the floor he is travelling in the same direction and at the same velocity as the bus. Assume the bus remains at a constant velocity. The jumper decelerates, relative to the bus, for as long as he or she is airborn. Should they be standing near the rear of the bus and be able to remain airborn long enough then that rear wall would indeed hit them, at the difference in velocity between that of the bus and that due to their deceleration, tiny fraction of an mph.

That a human cannot remain long enough, under his or her own power, is the point. Had the person been launched vertically to a couple of hundred feet, off the bed of a speeding lorry, by a spring device they would land (badly) on the road behind the lorry.

I think old Albert had something to say about this.

[Used to be able to do the maths for this sort of problem once . . .]

Ecurb Noselrub

If he jumped high enough he would hit the top of the bus with his head, suffer brain damage and die. Then we wouldn't have to listen to him any more.

Davin

Lol, but that would be due to air friction and wind, than to the speed of the bus vs. the person.

Two tests can be done to check:

Outside the bus, as it goes by, the person can jump when at the front, and see how far they would travel by the time they land.
Inside the bus, do an equal jump.

Then compare the distances "traveled."

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 24, 2017, 05:08:22 PM

If he jumped high enough he would hit the top of the bus with his head, suffer brain damage and die. Then we wouldn't have to listen to him any more.
It's weird how even basic, easily testable things get past some people.

I just read this today. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe
I thought it was pretty good.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on October 24, 2017, 05:08:50 PM
Lol, but that would be due to air friction and wind, than to the speed of the bus vs. the person.

Two tests can be done to check:

Outside the bus, as it goes by, the person can jump when at the front, and see how far they would travel by the time they land.
Inside the bus, do an equal jump.

Then compare the distances "traveled."

Yeah, you got me on the drag! Hmm, what we need is a thousand foot high bus, sets of various powered springs and xmall rockets, a stupid willing person . . .  . . .

Icarus

Davin, That one went a little long but it made its point rather well.