News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Science GIFS

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 21, 2016, 11:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 25, 2016, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 24, 2016, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 24, 2016, 01:46:51 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 23, 2016, 11:27:51 PMThat's so clever but sobering. Is that meant to show what happens in MS-type conditions?

I think so. With the loss of myelin sheaths our neurons can no longer communicate. Some animals such as invertebrates do not have myelin, but their axons (the long projection) are so wide that there is little physical resistance for the electrical signal, which can get through. A squid's giant, demylelinated axon is visible to the naked eye. :o

Wow! Giant axons. Hmm wonder when sci-fi will strike and they attempt to grow a "squidputer"?

Why squid? Our mylienated neurons are much faster, and besides that you can fit many more "wires" in an area!
True, is it a matter of manipulation or encouraging the axons to behave as you want them? Even the real thing is difficult to keep under control, let alone some lumo of jelly in a container connected to the outside world to make a biologucal computer.

Was thinking that larger ones might be easier to work with, even manipulate mechanically into arrays etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 25, 2016, 11:14:33 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 25, 2016, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 24, 2016, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 24, 2016, 01:46:51 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 23, 2016, 11:27:51 PMThat's so clever but sobering. Is that meant to show what happens in MS-type conditions?

I think so. With the loss of myelin sheaths our neurons can no longer communicate. Some animals such as invertebrates do not have myelin, but their axons (the long projection) are so wide that there is little physical resistance for the electrical signal, which can get through. A squid's giant, demylelinated axon is visible to the naked eye. :o

Wow! Giant axons. Hmm wonder when sci-fi will strike and they attempt to grow a "squidputer"?

Why squid? Our mylienated neurons are much faster, and besides that you can fit many more "wires" in an area!
True, is it a matter of manipulation or encouraging the axons to behave as you want them? Even the real thing is difficult to keep under control, let alone some lumo of jelly in a container connected to the outside world to make a biologucal computer.

Was thinking that larger ones might be easier to work with, even manipulate mechanically into arrays etc.

But if it's sci-fi then we could get nanobots to do it. :P Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger (or in this case, smaller) darling.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kekerusey

J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Essie Mae

That's a clever way to show what it's like to be colour-blind. Is there any evidence that people with the condition suffer with depression because of it, or is just their normal and not a cause for sadness? As they grow up they must become aware they are not having the same experience as everyone else.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on September 03, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
That's a clever way to show what it's like to be colour-blind. Is there any evidence that people with the condition suffer with depression because of it, or is just their normal and not a cause for sadness? As they grow up they must become aware they are not having the same experience as everyone else.

Good question!

I don't know the answer but I would assume that there might be some people within the colour-blind population that might feel that way, but I don't know if their number would be significant enough to link depression to the condition.

Mr. B

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 27, 2016, 01:46:06 PM
These GIFS show you what it's like to be colour-blind

Interesting. Not sure if it is accurate or not. I am color blind and my wife is not. We looked at them together. We could both see the differences in all the gifs. Here is a beautifully vulgar display of taking advantage of the color blind.

I only know what it says because my wife told me.

I can read this one.

And this one

But I can't read this one

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Mr. B

Quote from: Essie Mae on September 03, 2016, 09:59:44 AM
Is there any evidence that people with the condition suffer with depression because of it, or is just their normal and not a cause for sadness? As they grow up they must become aware they are not having the same experience as everyone else.

I have never heard of anyone being depressed because of their color vision deficiency. I have certainly never experienced it for myself. Everything looks the same to me as it did when I was born. There have been people who have made fun of me for it but there have also been people who have made fun of me for my hair, my height, my weight, my political views, my religion or lack thereof, my sexuality, my service in the armed forces, the color of my skin, my ignorance and my sense of humor.  It doesn't matter who you are, what you are, what you believe. There will always be someone there to ridicule you for who you are. These things shouldn't matter. At least, they don't matter to me. If some Democratic "leader" wants to give me some money taken from you to compensate me for my "disability" then they can shove that particular carrot up their ass.

I am a pressman. I operate a four color offset press and I produce beautiful work with a printing machine very similar to this one.

Maybe some people get depressed. Maybe some people use a Gretag MacBeth DC19

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

xSilverPhinx

Maybe more of a mathematical gif than a science one:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Mr. B on September 07, 2016, 04:00:43 AM
Interesting. Not sure if it is accurate or not. I am color blind and my wife is not. We looked at them together. We could both see the differences in all the gifs. Here is a beautifully vulgar display of taking advantage of the color blind.

Maybe not so accurate, then. :notsure:

Icarus

^^ Dammit xSP,  now you have me itching to go out into my workshop to make one of those dynamic gizmos. I am thoroughly  fascinated by that kind of thing. ......I suppose it's either a personality flaw or a reminiscence of the Rube Goldberg wizardry of old.

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

xSilverPhinx

This gif is just too cute! :grin: