News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Science GIFS

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 21, 2016, 11:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Juno's trip to Jupiter.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

xSilverPhinx

I love how it collects a bunch of bacteria.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

joeactor

xSilverPhinx

Mr. B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Tank

xSilverPhinx

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 14, 2016, 03:45:21 PM

That's so clever but sobering. Is that meant to show what happens in MS-type conditions?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on August 23, 2016, 11:27:51 PMThat's so clever but sobering. Is that meant to show what happens in MS-type conditions?

I think so. With the loss of myelin sheaths our neurons can no longer communicate. Some animals such as invertebrates do not have myelin, but their axons (the long projection) are so wide that there is little physical resistance for the electrical signal, which can get through. A squid's giant, demylelinated axon is visible to the naked eye. :o

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 24, 2016, 01:46:51 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on August 23, 2016, 11:27:51 PMThat's so clever but sobering. Is that meant to show what happens in MS-type conditions?

I think so. With the loss of myelin sheaths our neurons can no longer communicate. Some animals such as invertebrates do not have myelin, but their axons (the long projection) are so wide that there is little physical resistance for the electrical signal, which can get through. A squid's giant, demylelinated axon is visible to the naked eye. :o

Wow! Giant axons. Hmm wonder when sci-fi will strike and they attempt to grow a "squidputer"?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on August 24, 2016, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 24, 2016, 01:46:51 AM

Wow! Giant axons. Hmm wonder when sci-fi will strike and they attempt to grow a "squidputer"?

Why squid? Our mylienated neurons are much faster, and besides that you can fit many more "wires" in an area!