News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Science image dump

Started by Claireliontamer, April 10, 2016, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 03:04:07 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2018, 04:25:03 PM
Damn small them capillaries. But amazing how many bloody erythrocites can squeeze their way out of them when you get subcutaneous haematomas!

Do you take blood thinners?

Yes, warfarin. That was no real problem at first (2005), I seem lucky in that I still do not bruise easily nor bleed for long from cuts. Keeps the medics guessing but so long as my INR is near optimum they give up.

Then they restarted me on aspirin about four years ago, after telling me in no way ever take the stuff with warfarin. The sub-cute bleeding started about two years later. It is not due to impact of any kind, they just appear then fade. The skin over them seems very thin and delicate, can't use any adhesive dressing near them, if the skin tears or breaks they ooze blood. I cut the ankle bits off a couple of socks (good use for ones with a hole in the toe) and use those to hold non-adherent dressings in place. The are, of course, washable and resusable and look nicer than tubular bandage. Got some colourful sci-fi socks I might use in future!

No-one seems really bothered by it, nor me providing it only happens on my fore-arms. Don't really want it on my brain!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

My grandfather takes the same, and he has the same subcutaneous bleeding as you described. If he as much as lightly scraps his arm against a wall the skin breaks and bleeds. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 25, 2018, 04:33:28 PM
My grandfather takes the same, and he has the same subcutaneous bleeding as you described. If he as much as lightly scraps his arm against a wall the skin breaks and bleeds.

I don't need scrapings or such - I do it all on my own! I have actually tried to cause them with small impacts or abrasions. No result, even a good, hard scratching with my nails invokes no brownish red splodges. Just sore skin.

Sometimes being inquistive can be a pain . . .

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 25, 2018, 04:55:04 PM
Sometimes being inquistive can be a pain . . .

Literally! ;D

Icarus

Do all we old folks have similar symptoms?   If I bang my self into a doorknob or whatever I get an immediate dark spot under my  skin....a hematoma I think it is called. Add that we are often cursed with Ichthyosis Vulgaris or thin scaly skin and we know that the grim reaper is stalking us. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on March 25, 2018, 11:06:21 PM
Do all we old folks have similar symptoms?   If I bang my self into a doorknob or whatever I get an immediate dark spot under my  skin....a hematoma I think it is called. Add that we are often cursed with Ichthyosis Vulgaris or thin scaly skin and we know that the grim reaper is stalking us.

I have been quite lucky so far and don't have a skin that is overly sensitive to knocks and abrasion. In fact, I seem to heal very quickly from cuts, which I hope will stand me in good stead when I have my hip replacement in May.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Arturo

Well I was interested in this post because apparently the observable universe is individual to each person. So in fact it could be that both of them are correct. The way the brain interprets it's data is based on previous data that it has collected. At least according to the neruoscientists that I have heard speak of these things.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

joeactor

Quote from: Arturo on April 29, 2018, 02:28:40 AM
Well I was interested in this post because apparently the observable universe is individual to each person. So in fact it could be that both of them are correct. The way the brain interprets it's data is based on previous data that it has collected. At least according to the neruoscientists that I have heard speak of these things.

Also, from an evolutionary standpoint, which view works better for you in the real world?

In the short term, and for any given individual, belief may outperform facts.

... until  you try to fly by jumping off a cliff. Then the facts usually win.

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on April 29, 2018, 02:28:40 AM
. . . The way the brain interprets it's data is based on previous data that it has collected..

And that is the way indoctrination, brainwashing etc works. Stuff rubbish into the developing mind - without teaching critical thinking at the same time - and you end up with prejuduce, bigotry, narcisism, egomania, meglomania and, maybe, paranoia.

Hang on, that list seems to remind me of some guy who keeps getting into the news . . .

xSilverPhinx

Once again Deepak Chopra's assertion just looks like a string of words that sound like they're conveying some deep insight, but doesn't really make sense. What the hell does he mean? Consciousness is a substance? A divine substance? So...quarks and leptons are made of consciousness? What on earth is he talking about?!

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 29, 2018, 05:07:12 PM
Once again Deepak Chopra's assertion just looks like a string of words that sound like they're conveying some deep insight, but doesn't really make sense. What the hell does he mean? Consciousness is a substance? A divine substance? So...quarks and leptons are made of consciousness? What on earth is he talking about?!

Ambiguous at best if looking at merely objectively.

Or what I just said in my previous if using one's brain as it has been developed.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

How one perceives the universe is not the same thing as what the universe is made up of. We know that the universe is not made up light waves, but what we are seeing is light waves and not the objects themselves. A dog is not it's bark even though hearing a bark might be all that we can perceive about a dog. Likewise with the other senses and including thoughts and memories. A memory of a person is not the same as the person.

Consciousness is not in any way a substance, any more than a software application is a hard drive.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on April 30, 2018, 04:17:39 PM
How one perceives the universe is not the same thing as what the universe is made up of.

Right and that's exactly where the idea lies. As I am writing this, the HAF website looks like a grayish-blue to me. But how do I know that my grayish-blue is the same as your grayish-blue?

We are all looking at the universe through a lenses that is based on our previous experiences. There is a TED talk I watched on this a little while ago let me see if I can find it.

The point I am trying to get across is this quote from the video
"Perception is the brain's best guess of what's out there"
So from what I can tell about that is that there is no guarantee that whatever you experience is real or accurate. We could all be in a big void for all we know. Or in the matrix. But we don't know that so there is no point of dwelling on it unless you are schizophrenic or obsessed with the idea in some way.

I've been through this line of thought years ago and I came to the conclusion that yeah it might not be real, for all I can tell this video gives me more evidence that it could all not be real. But I do experience it. And that is the reality I am in so I might as well enjoy it. So what is "really" the universe is just your brain's best guess of what the universe is. It's your brain that is telling you what the universe is. And your brain is just guessing at what it is. There is no guarantee that the brain is even correct in what it's telling you.
     Arturo The1  リ壱