Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 21, 2016, 04:00:13 AM
Quote from: Davin on December 20, 2016, 02:59:58 PM
But why was the princess even there?
I think I remember them saying that they'd want to enlist the help of a certain robed friend who had been hiding since they started hunting Jedi, and that they were entrusting the mission to someone they were hinting to be Leia, so why would she not be with the fleet that was getting the information that she is supposed to deliver? Also, the ship was inside another ship out of sight, they were probably planning to hand over the data, go to some other system, drop the ship off, then proceed on a real diplomatic mission... until Vader showed up in a moon sized battle station and whooped their asses

They were definitely sending her to contact Obi Wan, but that was well before the attack began. The rebels were planning NOT to attack at that point and had no idea they would be receiving plans. So Leia was told to contact Obi Wan, and many hours later got on a Mon Calamari cruiser headed unplanned to a war zone.
Yeah, the admiral could have been the one hiding Leia's ship and transporting it, then they learned about Rogue One and then diverted to try to get the plans they already knew that Rogue One was after. Could even have been persuaded by Leia.

Quote from: Pasta Chick
QuoteNow what has bothered me since the reveal of Leia being Vader's daughter, and also having the force: didn't Vader know that she had the force? He could detect Luke from super far away, but it wouldn't make sense if he couldn't detect Leia's force when he was two inches away from her. Maybe her force isn't as strong as Luke's, but they said that there was another if Luke died, and I thought they were talking about Leia. But if that were the case, then wouldn't she have a decent amount power with the force? It just seems like Vader should have felt her through the force on more than one occasion.

What G8 said. Leia had been intentionally kept hidden from Vader by Yoda and Obi Wan (and apparently Qui Gon as well) so in addition to not knowing she was there to look for, I imagine they would have taken keeping her hidden in the force into account.
Leia had been hidden, until she was captured and interrogated directly by Vader. I could swallow that if Vader wasn't inches from Leia, Vader wasn't a master in the force, Leia was master in the force, and/or she didn't have the force at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 23, 2016, 10:48:21 PM
Carrie Fisher is in critical condition after suffering a cardiac episode on a flight

:'(

I'm so heartbroken. 2016 can fuck right the fuck off.

She is in recovery.

On another note, the movie was awesome. The only part that got me in a contradictive way was them using the Death Star at all because I think I remember in ep IV that General Tarkin threatened Leia to test the Death Star on her home planet which implies that was the first time they ever used the Death Star.

Other than that I have no gripe and Vader was bad ass. And on my way back from the theatre, I stopped at an intersection and looked to the side and saw a church called "New Hope". Sometimes fiction inspires...Fiction lol

EDIT: I also wanted to add that I almost cried at the end when they were wrapping up the movie. It took everything I had to hold it back. Idk why I do this at movies but I do, it was just that this one was especially powerful. :( 
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

Quote from: Apathy on December 24, 2016, 06:04:57 PM

On another note, the movie was awesome. The only part that got me in a contradictive way was them using the Death Star at all because I think I remember in ep IV that General Tarkin threatened Leia to test the Death Star on her home planet which implies that was the first time they ever used the Death Star.

Alderaan was the first time they tried the Death Star on full blast. So it was a first test for the DS.
Until that point they knew it could relocate a decent sized city fairly effectively, but they still had not confirmed it's planet-killing potential. Jeddha and Scarif were mere dress rehersals. Alderaan is Tarkin's opening night.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Pasta Chick

This is my huge bit pick - Why is everyone "force be with you"ing left and right? Obviously there would be some who remember and hold on to the Jedi way, but it's pretty clear the Empire did their best to quash that wholeness thing ASAP and by A New Hope no one really buys in to it any more. There are numerous references to it being a "hokey religion", "sorcerers", Luke has never even heard of it...

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 28, 2016, 12:37:44 AM
This is my huge bit pick - Why is everyone "force be with you"ing left and right? Obviously there would be some who remember and hold on to the Jedi way, but it's pretty clear the Empire did their best to quash that wholeness thing ASAP and by A New Hope no one really buys in to it any more. There are numerous references to it being a "hokey religion", "sorcerers", Luke has never even heard of it...

Yeah it didn't really seem playable, especially since Leia (RIP) didn't even have any sort mention to it until -Return of the Jedi- to which she said to Luke, "You have a power I could never have". And Leia was apart of the Galactic Senate and the rebellion. And seeing as she doesn't mention the force for the longest time, and how she seems to be more political than anything, than it would seem that people in the Government/Rebellion don't have any lean towards the force at all.

tl;dr It was kind of mystical and dead for so long, that people had no idea what it was at all.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

Quote from: Apathy on December 28, 2016, 02:18:34 AM

Yeah it didn't really seem playable, especially since Leia (RIP) didn't even have any sort mention to it until -Return of the Jedi- to which she said to Luke, "You have a power I could never have". And Leia was apart of the Galactic Senate and the rebellion. And seeing as she doesn't mention the force for the longest time, and how she seems to be more political than anything, than it would seem that people in the Government/Rebellion don't have any lean towards the force at all.

tl;dr It was kind of mystical and dead for so long, that people had no idea what it was at all.
Several of the people in the Rebellion who actually use "may the Force be with you" are people who were still alive before Palpatine's purge. First among these, of course, being pepole like General Jan Dodonna, and Senators Mon Mothma and Bail Antilles. These are people who remember the Jedi for what they were, and would help to explain why there is an excess of Force worship in the Rebellion. 

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Firebird

Finally saw it yesterday and liked it a lot overall. I had a few nitpicks, one of which being the two mercenaries (the guy with the gun and Donnie Yen's character) just sort of tagging along and becoming part of the crew without anyone really questioning it, and then they just die. No real development there. I also found CGI Leia dipping into the uncanny valley where it didn't look quite real to me. Tarkin's CGI was well done, but something about Leia's really felt fake and plasticy. Though I still felt a twinge of pain seeing that face right after Carrie dying. I liked Jyn and Cassian a lot. And Vader's scenes were great, especially at the end when his lightsaber illuminates the room. Instant feeling of dread right there.

There are numerous references to it being a "hokey religion", "sorcerers", Luke has never even heard of it...

It's a big galaxy :) I'm sure some parts still adhere more to the force than others, much like, say, India holds on to Hinduism more than we do in the west.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Pasta Chick

Totally off the current discussion and I'll likely pop back for more Rouge One chat when I have more time...

Anyone know of a good synopsis or graphic novel or something for the Clone Wars television series? I want to watch because it's new canon, but my Asmo... it's just awful. Even BF can't hack and he has a super high tolerance for bad television.

Arturo

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 02, 2017, 09:20:08 PM
Totally off the current discussion and I'll likely pop back for more Rouge One chat when I have more time...

Anyone know of a good synopsis or graphic novel or something for the Clone Wars television series? I want to watch because it's new canon, but my Asmo... it's just awful. Even BF can't hack and he has a super high tolerance for bad television.

I don't think anything like that exists for any of the cartoon series, and if there is, it's likely for children. And I'm pretty sure everything else about the clone wars was swept away when Disney took over.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Firebird

Quote from: Apathy on January 02, 2017, 11:57:22 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 02, 2017, 09:20:08 PM

I don't think anything like that exists for any of the cartoon series, and if there is, it's likely for children. And I'm pretty sure everything else about the clone wars was swept away when Disney took over.

I think Disney did keep the cartoon as canon. Maybe check Wookiepedia?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Pasta Chick

Yeah, unfortunately just the CGI cartoon series, because frankly the animated movies were pretty badass.

We started watching season 1 a long time ago on Netflix. Just tried to get back into it and failed. Skipped ahead to the Mandalorian bits, got pissed off and quit again.

Biggus Dickus

Saw this last week with my kids which was loads of fun, especially as they're both adults now and we rarely see movies together anymore...all three of us were extremely excited to see it, and had a good time.

I liked this movie quite a bit, in fact I think it is my favorite out of all of them except of course for the first one (E. IV) which can never be topped simply for the fact that it was the first (I saw it in the theater as a young kid when if first came out, and it blew me away)

This one seemed to me to be the one of the most realistic out of all of them, and is the only one out of all of the movies to tear me up a bit at the end.

My only bit of a nit-pick is right at the end of the movie, as I would have not shown Princess Leia's face, only her back with her hood up along with the sound of her voice. I think it would have been a bit more artistic.

I look forward to more like this....
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 03, 2017, 09:59:59 PM

My only bit of a nit-pick is right at the end of the movie, as I would have not shown Princess Leia's face, only her back with her hood up along with the sound of her voice. I think it would have been a bit more artistic.

Agreed. Also, good to see you back here Bruno.