News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Mars Curiosity Thread.

Started by Tank, August 05, 2012, 08:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

Quote from: Tank on August 06, 2012, 07:32:48 AM
Quote from: hismikeness on August 06, 2012, 07:11:24 AM
It's weird to feel a sense of accomplishment even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the successful landing or any other aspect of the mission. But I do.

Spirit and Opportunity were supposed to work for 90 Martian days, and they lasted 6 years and is still going, respectively. Curiosity is set for a two year mission. I wonder if they can squeeze a decade out of the ol' girl?
How is NASA funded?

I believe itis funded from the general budget, I've heard only 1/2 a cent of every dollar. This particular mission is $2.5 billion or about 45 days worth of US war air conditioning bill.  :o

Edit: bad math.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

hismikeness

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 06, 2012, 07:30:02 AM
Quote from: Genericguy on August 06, 2012, 07:22:47 AM
Quote from: hismikeness on August 06, 2012, 07:11:24 AM
It's weird to feel a sense of accomplishment even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the successful landing or any other aspect of the mission. But I do.

Congratulations hismikeness! You did it!

Why do I feel they were able to do it despite hismikeness? Just think of what may have been accomplished if hismikeness wasn't not not involved. (Boom! - triple negative.)

Probably would've landed that bitch on Venus by accident.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

zeroday

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: zeroday on August 07, 2012, 08:11:51 PM
First picture from mars...

I hope that he left his Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator somewhere he can't find it.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

chris

Tank

Nasa's Curiosity rover lifts its navigation cameras

QuoteThe Curiosity Mars rover has lifted its mast and used its high navigation cameras for the first time.

The robot vehicle has returned black and white images that capture part of its own body, its shadow on the ground and views off to the horizon.

Spectacular relief - the rim cliffs of the crater in which the rover landed - can be seen in the distance.

Curiosity - also known as the Mars Science Laboratory, MSL - put down on the Red Planet on Monday (GMT).

The US space agency (Nasa) mission came to rest on the floor of a deep depression on Mars' equator known as Gale Crater, close to a 5.5km-high mountain.

The plan eventually is to take the robot to the base of this mountain where it is expected to find rocks that were laid down billions of years ago in the presence of liquid water.

Curiosity will probe these sediments for evidence that past environments on Mars could once have favoured microbial life...
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

markmcdaniel

The equipment seems to be operational. I starting to get really excited about the real start of the mission.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on August 08, 2012, 09:19:00 PM
Nasa's Curiosity rover lifts its navigation cameras

QuoteThe Curiosity Mars rover has lifted its mast and used its high navigation cameras for the first time.

The robot vehicle has returned black and white images that capture part of its own body, its shadow on the ground and views off to the horizon.

Spectacular relief - the rim cliffs of the crater in which the rover landed - can be seen in the distance.

Is it just me or does that picture look like it was taken on Earth? I know that it wasn't but the similarities are uncanny, and the surface doesn't look like a 52 ' drop. You could imagine trees and grass.

Curiosity - also known as the Mars Science Laboratory, MSL - put down on the Red Planet on Monday (GMT).

The US space agency (Nasa) mission came to rest on the floor of a deep depression on Mars' equator known as Gale Crater, close to a 5.5km-high mountain.

The plan eventually is to take the robot to the base of this mountain where it is expected to find rocks that were laid down billions of years ago in the presence of liquid water.

Curiosity will probe these sediments for evidence that past environments on Mars could once have favoured microbial life...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Crow

Retired member.

Firebird

This too:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4413

They're still not sure what is causing the methane, but the fact that it's been detected is a very big deal.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

MariaEvri

Quote from: Firebird on December 20, 2014, 05:33:22 PM
This too:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4413

They're still not sure what is causing the methane, but the fact that it's been detected is a very big deal.

thinks like those should be with thick bold headlines all over the place. But I only know about it because I;m watching some science websites
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Recusant

Hmm, no doubt plenty of this thread is gone/in electronic limbo. Here's a link to some recent photos from Curiosity: "Farewell to Murray Buttes"

Image #4:

Image Credit: NASA
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

^^^ That's cool - thanks, Rec!

Amazing how earth-like they look. The sandstone layers and wear patterns.
Wonder how much the lower gravity and low atmospheric density changes the way they form...

Tank