News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Mars Curiosity Thread.

Started by Tank, August 05, 2012, 08:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

NASA Curiosity site

Slightly over 10 hours from now a lot of NASA technicians, engineers and scientists will be crapping themselves!!!

There is a countdown clock on the site. The moment of landing will be a little before 6:30am UK time Monday 6th August.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 08:05:20 PM
NASA Curiosity site

Slightly over 10 hours from now a lot of NASA technicians, engineers and scientists will be crapping themselves!!!

There is a countdown clock on the site. The moment of landing will be a little before 6:30am UK time Monday 6th August.

God did it.  She doesn't want us to discover any evidence of extraterrestrial life.  From crap we were born, and to crap we will return.   ;D

Firebird

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on August 05, 2012, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 08:05:20 PM
NASA Curiosity site

God did it.  She doesn't want us to discover any evidence of extraterrestrial life.  From crap we were born, and to crap we will return.   ;D

I remember reading somewhere that the Bible considers taking a crap evil too, because it makes you feel good, and that's bad. I can't find the source now, but I remember it involved some historical figure or character dying while on the crapper. Maybe someone else here knows. So the scientists would in effect be making their own anti-science protest.
I can't believe I just wrote that. Anyway, wish this wasn't happening so late in the US, but I look forward to reading about it tomorrow.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

technolud

Tank

Less than 30 minutes to go now!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ihateyoumike

Just watched it live. I love the internet.

SCIENCE!!!
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

It's down and safe and sending back pictures!!!!!

markmcdaniel

Curiosity is down safe! Now if the Martians don't disintegrate her We should be in for some mind blowing data.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Velma

Woo hoo!  Science for the win!!!  And thanks to an arthritis flare, I was home to see it.    8)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Great news, congrats Americans and other humanoids.

hismikeness

It's weird to feel a sense of accomplishment even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the successful landing or any other aspect of the mission. But I do.

Spirit and Opportunity were supposed to work for 90 Martian days, and they lasted 6 years and is still going, respectively. Curiosity is set for a two year mission. I wonder if they can squeeze a decade out of the ol' girl?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Genericguy

Quote from: hismikeness on August 06, 2012, 07:11:24 AM
It's weird to feel a sense of accomplishment even though I had absolutely nothing to do with the successful landing or any other aspect of the mission. But I do.

Congratulations hismikeness! You did it!

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Genericguy on August 06, 2012, 07:22:47 AM

Congratulations hismikeness! You did it!

Why do I feel they were able to do it despite hismikeness? Just think of what may have been accomplished if hismikeness wasn't not not involved. (Boom! - triple negative.)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Spirit and Opportunity were supposed to work for 90 Martian days, and they lasted 6 years and is still going, respectively. Curiosity is set for a two year mission. I wonder if they can squeeze a decade out of the ol' girl?
How is NASA funded?

Tank

It's power plant should last at least 14 years.