News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The book that rid me of delusion

Started by leftyguitarjoe, June 26, 2008, 10:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftyguitarjoe

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

You all should be all too familiar with this book, but I dont think it could ever recieve enough praise. This book is was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me realize that atheism is the most logical and intellegent mindset. I was a hardcore agnostic before this book, not wanting to side with a religion, but not wanting to let go of a god. This book was amazing.

Next on my list: "God Is Not Great", "God: The Failed Hypothesis", and "Creation Revisited"

MommaSquid

I just finished The God Delusion recently.  It was terrific!  I am now reading Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.  Mr Harris is a freakin' genius.   :D

There are many books by atheist authors on my Amazon.com wish list, including God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens and Sense and Goodness without God by Richard Carrier.  Luckily I love to read.

Asmodean

I have ordered the book from teh US, since I couldn't find even a translation here. So I'm looking forward to getting mail for once. :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dreamer

The God Delusion - easily one of the best books i have ever read. Richard Dawkins is a genius. i can't believe that anyone could read that and still be "deluded".
*You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...*

*I may not agree with what you are saying but i will defend to my death your right to say it*

*You never ask questions, when God's on your side*

MariaEvri

Finished reading it. It was sliiightly difcult for me cause english is not my mother tongue, but I did enjoy it frm start to end.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Loffler

Quote from: "MariaEvri"Finished reading it. It was sliiightly difcult for me cause english is not my mother tongue, but I did enjoy it frm start to end.

That's a shame; his choice of wording is so witty.

leftyguitarjoe

Quote from: "Loffler"
Quote from: "MariaEvri"Finished reading it. It was sliiightly difcult for me cause english is not my mother tongue, but I did enjoy it frm start to end.

indeed. Dawkins is one smart cookie :D

susangail

Man, one of the first things I'm going to do if/when I get my driver's license on Wednesday is go to B & N and buy this book! I have been wanting to read it forever but I can't get it when my mom is with me. Everyone is ranting and raving over it, I can't wait to read it!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

MariaEvri

No worries, nothing a second reading can't fix :)
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

MommaSquid

Quote from: "MariaEvri"

No worries, nothing a second reading can't fix :D

I just started reading god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.  He's no Richard Dawkins, but it's not a bad effort.

Chimera

I'm really enjoying The God Delusion although it has been a challenging read for me. I don't know what it is, perhaps it's my fundamentalist upbringing or simply that I'm not used to reading such, I don't know, *advanced* work that it's hard for some things to sink in with me, but I'm really studying it hard. You should see me, lol, I have my pencil, highlighter, dictionary and notebook always at my side when I'm reading it. In fact, I almost came out to my parents today because of it. My parents wanted to know what I was reading and studying so intently, so my mom went and grabbed the book, and my dad just went, "Oh boy," when he read the title. Then he asked, "Why don't you want to believe in God?" I almost answered, "It's not a matter of want; I simply don't," but I said nothing instead. I just didn't think it was the right time. But at least a small seed was planted that will hopefully prepare us both for the day the truth does come out.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

susangail

Quote from: "Chimera"I'm really enjoying The God Delusion although it has been a challenging read for me. I don't know what it is, perhaps it's my fundamentalist upbringing or simply that I'm not used to reading such, I don't know, *advanced* work that it's hard for some things to sink in with me, but I'm really studying it hard. You should see me, lol, I have my pencil, highlighter, dictionary and notebook always at my side when I'm reading it. In fact, I almost came out to my parents today because of it. My parents wanted to know what I was reading and studying so intently, so my mom went and grabbed the book, and my dad just went, "Oh boy," when he read the title. Then he asked, "Why don't you want to believe in God?" I almost answered, "It's not a matter of want; I simply don't," but I said nothing instead. I just didn't think it was the right time. But at least a small seed was planted that will hopefully prepare us both for the day the truth does come out.
Wow, way to stay strong. Hang in there!
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

leftyguitarjoe

well, I just bought my own copy of the book today!!