News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"Getting to Know You"

Started by Ateo, January 08, 2012, 05:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ateo

Getting to Know You !!

What a break, have to do a bunch of posts, all in (Sing it, come on)  "Getting to know you ..... getting to know all about you".  Yes a break.  At first I thought what am I going to find to post about in here. If I wasn't already old, I would be by the time I get out of here.

So I read posts by newbies, like me, trying to tell a little about how they think and feel, and why they are here.  Now I know why we have to do this. Wouldn't want to do 50 posts, but I'm happy having to read and dig for ten topics  .... and learn.

You see, everybody goes through this section, and you get to see them before they perfect their lines. It's an eye opener,  not everyone is genuine, and the moderators have to pick up on it within a couple of posts.  A complete cross section of ideas and values, can't help but be interesting. I've heard the odd guy preaches.

Are newbies weird?  Ya we are a little, that's why we have to help each other get out of purgatory, or as it's better known "Tank's Ten",  and it's all about....... Getting to know you !!
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Tank

Excellent post! Tank's Ten!  :D

I wasn't even on the staff when 'Getting to know you" think was set up by Whitney (the site owner). We had been going through a spate of "Shit and run posters" when it was instigated. New members who'd post in Religion or Science and then never come back. If they do this sort of thing now in GTKY then it stands out like a sore thumb.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

*Sings*
Getting to know you, getting to know all about youuuuu.
Getting to like you, getting to hope you like meeee.

;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Cerulean

Newbies are weird, and sometimes do silly things like start a thread when there is already one about the same topic going. (Thanks for merging the food threads, Tank!)

Hey newbies, (I'm mostly talking to myself) don't forget about the Search field to find previously discussed topics!

Tank

Quote from: Cerulean on January 08, 2012, 02:23:53 PM
Newbies are weird, and sometimes do silly things like start a thread when there is already one about the same topic going. (Thanks for merging the food threads, Tank!)

Hey newbies, (I'm mostly talking to myself) don't forget about the Search field to find previously discussed topics!
You're welcome Cerulean  :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ateo

Quote from: Cerulean on January 08, 2012, 02:23:53 PM

Didn't know about that, just tried it, works fine. Don't have to repeat a topic repeat a topic.

Tank, maybe the rest of the world is fine and we're the ones that are nuts. Some of my sidekicks in purgatory seem to be marching to a different drummer.  Ya, a drummer with only one stick. I was amazed at what you were picking up on in getting to know you, most of it was going way over my head. Are these the same guys that spread viruses because they think it's clever?

It's 2:45 PM here and the temperature is +/- , 96 F. or approx. 36 C. Love it, I'm originally from Canada, living in Central America. Well we all have our cross to bear. That's terrible, cross to bear, I have no pride, I'm going with it.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Tank

I think I've spent far too much time on line and on forums  :D

Traveler

Hello and welcome fellow weirdo. Just remember this. If you're not at least a little bit weird, you're probably not very interesting. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Traveler on January 08, 2012, 09:11:43 PM
Hello and welcome fellow weirdo. Just remember this. If you're not at least a little bit weird, you're probably not very interesting. :)

Quoted for truth.  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey