News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

They finally got to me....

Started by CoolCat, February 08, 2011, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolCat

I don't exactly know why I'm posting this. Maybe I just want to share or talk to people who have the same world view as I do. You know, because it gets pretty lonely when every person I've ever met is a religious fanatic! So here it goes....

I have some very religious friends on Facebook. They always post about God this, and God that. A few of them post this stuff so regularly that I decided to block all of their posts altogether.

Here is my status on Facebook:

QuoteIf people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

Now I don't like to argue with people about their beliefs. Most of the time I just let this type of stuff slip. That changed when my friend's mom started posting her religious crap on my wall. I snapped and the following happened:

QuoteFriend's Mom: There is no fear in the perfect love of God. If everybody will understand the love of God there is the tendency to do good not out of fear for punishment, and reward is granted to those who diligently seek God.

Me: There is no fear in the perfect love of God? The bible would disagree with you.

"Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling-block before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the LORD." ~ Leviticus 19:14

"Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God:for I am the LORD your God." ~ Leviticus 25:17

Friend's Mom: Fear God if we continue in sinning and neglecting his goodness that's what I mean. Those who walked in love and experience God's love will learn that kind of perfect love . IJohn4:18 says There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear; because fear has torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. Read also IJohn 4:12

Me: No, I don't think that's what you meant and you contradict yourself.

In the first sentence of your previous post you said, "There is NO FEAR in the perfect love of God."

And yet on the next post you say, "FEAR GOD if we continue in sinning and neglecting his goodness that's what I mean."

So which is it? Am I suppose to fear him or not?

Perfect love should be without fear!

Friend's Mom: What i mean is we do good only out of love not of fear of punishment or of reward. Because God's love is perfect, He love us unconditionally while we are yet sinners, we should in return appreciate that kind of love and we will do good base on that love that has no fear and God will definitely rewards us because it is his nature to love and give rewards.

Friend's Mom: Fear God's punishment if we continue in sinning.

Me: Don't lie to yourself. If you fear God's punishment when you continue on sinning then you don't do good out of your own volition, you do good only because of fear.

If people do good out of their own free will then more power to them but if people do good just because a book or some God told them so then we are a very, very sorry lot indeed.

Friend's Mom: God's punishment is given to people who dont have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, but when a saved person sins he is disciplined by God because he is God's child. Punishment is for those who don't believe the God of the bible. Fear and confusion comes from the devil who is a liar.

Friend's Mom: You have gone so far [insert my name here], try listening to John McArthur's teaching how he explain the bible go to http://www.biblebulletin board by John McArthur bible study guides and pick the topic in the word of God that is unclear to you, i know your struggling to join us in the church so this can be helpful to you while you are in the comfort of your room.

Friend's Mom: its either you can listen because there some audio bible study or read

We actually had another argument going on her daughter's wall at the same time. I know...... bad idea.

QuoteFriend's status: grabe..the end is near...

Me: That's what people said about Y2K and still here we are 11 years later...

I don't think I'm going to fall for that crap again. Especially that 2012 nonsense.

Friend's Mom: coz nobody knows thats what the bible says.....

Friend's Mom: but the signs are evident, God is delaying it and still waiting for people to go back to their spiritual senses knowing and loving the Lord Jesus Christ acknowledging his lordship in our lives, He deserves to be the Lord of every human being because of His great love and sacrifices towards us.

Me: If nobody knows then how come you seem to know that God is delaying it right on your next post? Do you have an inside job with God?

Jesus hardly made the greatest sacrifice, for he knew he would be resurrected anyways.

Friend: haha!! [insert my name here] d ung 2012 ung tinutukoy ko..haha!!me npnuod kc aq sa utube kgbe e..check mo dn..eto un: music industry exposed..ktkot grabe..

Friend: and yeah,i also dont believe about the 2012 crap thinge..but who knows??Jesus might come even today..:p

Me: Oh, I see... Though you have to understand that your post can be easily misinterpreted.

Judging by a quick skim of the video that it's about some kind of conspiracy theory that I don't care much about. >.< lol hahaha!!

Friend's Mom: delaying coz Jesus promise that he will come back very soon and during the time of the disciples they are already expecting his return until all of them dies and the gospel still preached up to us and we are expecting his return too.... and when the gospel is preached in the uttermost part of the earth that is the time of his appearing inorder for us to be sure of this plan of God read the bible and listen to pastor's teaching that the role of the church to warn us and prepare for his coming

Me: I've read the bible and have found it to be a book full of errors, mistakes, and contradictions. Not to mention it advocates senseless murder, slavery and the oppression of women which has no place in our society today.

Me: If you are going to argue with me then why don't you just message me? I don't think it's fair to [Friend's name here] for us to be doing this right on her wall.

Friend's Mom: You sounds that the bible is a worthless book for you, the bible is the best book ever coz it change my life and others life too. The bible has a records of man 's failures and errors. It was writtern not in our time but still applicable in our time because it deals with SIN and REBELLLION to God. No I won't argue with you I'm just defending the word of God because its the only source of TRUTH and only real saved people can understand the bible because the Holy Spirit is living in them the absence of the Holy Spirit makes the mind and heart contrary to the will and plan of God.

On here she says that she is not willing to argue with me anymore but yet she keeps posting on my wall. That's why she has a triple post near the end of the previous conversation. Overall it is short but I'm planning to reply again.

hismikeness

Welcome to HAF.

Just remember that Facebook is merely a digital conversation. So that "argument" with Friend's mom is the digital form of standing in the middle of the room arguing and having lots of people standing around watching. Maybe it's not the best place for that sort of debate. To each their own, though.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Whitney

Ya, I blocked feeds from most of my religious fb friends too; but that was to keep me from arguing with them because one kept posting stuff that was so dumb that I simply couldn't help myself.  But, it's hard to keep a friend's mom from arguing about your own posts and what are you gonna do..block her?  That might be a good way to never see your friend again if you are young.

Good luck with her...it may be good to just claim you have decided not to discuss this further because you value your friendship with her son and don't want an argument with her to damage your friendship; of course, then you really have to stick to that and refuse to discuss it.  You can even tell her that you trust that if Christianity is real that God will contact you when you are ready...that might shut her up.

Tank

Oh Joy! Arguing on facebook sounds like a nightmare going on in public. Well at least here you won't be nagged by her. Take refuge for a while!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hackenslash

Welcome.

I love having arguments like that on FB. Interestingly, they don't seem to last very long...

I agree with the above comments, though, that FB isn't the best place for such discussions. They tend to be very open. I don't really give a crap what people think of me, and those who know me well enough to be friends on FB know me well enough to know what to expect, but that's not true for everyone.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Will

Hola, CoolCat.

If I may humbly suggest, based on my rather extensive experience with theists on the interwebs, I've discovered that the most important rule of the internet is this: don't get angry on the internet. Anger can be a healthy emotion, but when you get angry online you very rarely have a healthy avenue for that anger. Not only that, but all you're doing is sitting in front of a screen angry. If you feel yourself getting frustrated or angry, take a break, go for a walk or play with your dog, and try to remain objective. Don't let someone else's bullshit ruin your day.

Welcome to the Happy Atheist Forum.  :D
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Tank

Quote from: "Will"Hola, CoolCat.

If I may humbly suggest, based on my rather extensive experience with theists on the interwebs, I've discovered that the most important rule of the internet is this: don't get angry on the internet. Anger can be a healthy emotion, but when you get angry online you very rarely have a healthy avenue for that anger. Not only that, but all you're doing is sitting in front of a screen angry. If you feel yourself getting frustrated or angry, take a break, go for a walk or play with your dog, and try to remain objective. Don't let someone else's bullshit ruin your day.

Welcome to the Happy Atheist Forum.  :D

This is without doubt one of the best posts and pieces of advice one will ever read anywhere, ever.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hackenslash

There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

Quote from: "hackenslash"Indeed.

(not official)

I don't think they know what an Orson is here  lol

ForTheLoveOfAll

Oh goodness. I feel your pain, mate. I've had a few run ins with the religious on my Facebook, too.

Either way, welcome to the fleet!  :bananacolor:
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks