News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Quote from: No one on January 31, 2018, 01:29:35 PM

Oooh, some Brass Rock! Nice. A genre that really needs to become a thing again!

Anyway, this song has been my obsession this afternoon for some reason. lol:

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Harmonie

Mmm. So good. When people think of a Requiem, their minds automatically go to Mozart, but I think people should give Faure's Requiem a try, too.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Icarus

Thank you for that Harmonie. 

In truth I am not big on Requiems  on account of the theme being for the dead.  Your video had links that led to links that led me to this one in Jerusalem.  This one is happier.  It has small but important woodwind passages too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ncPSxdiHVo....Sleeping beauty is not dead just sleeping. Enjoy.

Harmonie

Ah, but it is death in a Christian sense. Faure's Requiem is very noted for having more 'happy' sections. I actually posted one of the less mentioned movements.

Personally, I like dark stuff, and Faure's Requiem switches between sounding very dark, and then happy, or at peace. It ends on a happy note, probably the most noted movement:

And listen to that melody that starts off this movement:

hermes2015

Quote from: Harmonie on March 06, 2018, 02:40:11 AM
Ah, but it is death in a Christian sense. Faure's Requiem is very noted for having more 'happy' sections. I actually posted one of the less mentioned movements.

Personally, I like dark stuff, and Faure's Requiem switches between sounding very dark, and then happy, or at peace. It ends on a happy note, probably the most noted movement:

And listen to that melody that starts off this movement:

I agree with you about the Faure Requiem. It's much less serious than the Brahms Deutsches Requiem, which I also love very much.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

My Wave by Soundgarden. I find that song oddly relaxing.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Harmonie, here is one that more nearly conforms to my own tastes. This composition has important woodwind components that you might notice.   I hope that you will have the opportunity to play with an orchestra as famous and competent as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i1mI-P9Z3s

jumbojak

I'm wishing that Phil Lynot had stuck around a little longer.

https://youtu.be/F9f_HHV5Pc4

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

I think I might've overdosed on Les Claypool tonight. Very strange music but quite satisfying.

Harmonie

@Icarus: Thanks, but I've given up on being a professional musician. I'm just not fit for it. Musicology is my area, with perhaps a community orchestra on the side.

Anyway, thanks to recent discussion on Stravinsky I was reminded of this little gem:

An opening woodwind fugue starting with my own beloved instrument is super cool. Funny how it just screams Neo-Classical using a Baroque form, but with the odd twentieth-century harmony. Even the interplay between the instruments sounds Baroque-like, even though the harmony is so NOT Baroque. lol

The interplay continuing in the background once the chorus takes over is also very cool and reminds me a lot of the great J.S. Bach.

I'm actually listening to this, not just posting about it. I promise.  :lol:

hermes2015

Quote from: Harmonie on March 08, 2018, 04:50:01 AM
@Icarus: Thanks, but I've given up on being a professional musician. I'm just not fit for it. Musicology is my area, with perhaps a community orchestra on the side.

Anyway, thanks to recent discussion on Stravinsky I was reminded of this little gem:

An opening woodwind fugue starting with my own beloved instrument is super cool. Funny how it just screams Neo-Classical using a Baroque form, but with the odd twentieth-century harmony. Even the interplay between the instruments sounds Baroque-like, even though the harmony is so NOT Baroque. lol

The interplay continuing in the background once the chorus takes over is also very cool and reminds me a lot of the great J.S. Bach.

I'm actually listening to this, not just posting about it. I promise.  :lol:

Harmonie, we have similar taste, it seems. I adore Stravinsky. Can you imagine being there at the first performance of the Rite in 1913, when the audience rioted? One thing I admire about him was also seen in Picasso's work. Neither of them stuck to a style when it became popular, but were never afraid to go off in new directions, regardless of public response. Stravinsky could have gone on composing spectacular pieces like The Rite of Spring, Petrouchka, and Firebird for the rest of his life, but he then went on to compose dryer serial and neoclassical works that were at first more difficult to appreciate by his fans.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

The soundtrack from Strictly Ballroom.  Currently:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Wanna see and hear some happy people play just because they like to play......This is the Taiwan National Symphony Orchestra doing a flash mob gig for fun.  They are better than merely good musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVRKwScVKM