News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

North Korea Heats Things Up

Started by Arturo, August 29, 2017, 02:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Just thinking, is "cruise missile" getting to be generic for any battlefield, non-ballistic missile system? The original conceot was for a mid-speed, mid-range, terrain following, low level, self-navigating, missile. A device that could be, literally, programmed to read a map, match it to the terrain and tgen determine the actual target.

Anti-ship missiles are pointed at a ship, recognise its shape, maybe head for the most vulnerable area if known, and just go for it. A "semi-intelligent" self-guided missile designed for armour penetration at high velocity and low level. Not much terrain to follow at sea . . .

A subtle distinction.

Both are vulnerable to high rate, multi-barrel auto-cannons. If you "see" them early enough . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I think that's the way we're going. Much easier for the news to call any missile a cruise missile than to add that level of nuance to their reporting. And I'm not sure it really matters to most people. It launches, flies for a while, then goes boom. For most people that's all they really need to know.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Things are getting quite warm over NK in the UN.

It very much depends on China and how they respond to the threat of the US boycotting states that deal with NK. Hitting China in the wallet is being touted as the best bet, but I would not put any money on it.

China wants the US and NK to reduce their "joint exercises" but the US says this is "insulting" and that no nation should be expected to lower their guard against another who threatens them. The subtext that that threat is unjustified, imaginary, irrational has not yet been voiced. Yet the comparison between the "responsible" and "irresponsible" nuclear nations has been made.

I am wondering if Iran has a finger or two in this pie. They had helped NK with missile technology in the past. The pundits are surprised how quickly NK has developed these technologies, Iran bas lots of experience.

Later: seems there are those repeating the above but nothing on the radio about it so far. Could be speculation.

Dave

Trump (sort of) cools things down. The rhetoric takes a more concilliatory tone.

QuoteTrump says military action is not his 'first choice' on North Korea

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that military action is not his "first choice" to address North Korea's ongoing moves to develop its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, hours after he spoke by phone with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/06/politics/donald-trump-north-korea-xi-jinping/index.html

Let's just hope he does not tweet or otherwise send any further confusing or conflicting messages.

No one

Tank

Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2017, 12:47:27 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 03, 2017, 12:38:20 PM
V1's were cruise missiles. Not rocket science  :grin:

I think a "cruise missile" with its GPS/terrain following/optical recognition systems is a tad more advanced than a V1 running on a compass, gyro and timer!

It wasn't a ballistic missile, that would be the V2. All the above are refinements to the basic concept of the cruise missile.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

NK will never give its nukes up voluntarily.  They consider them a necessity for maintenance of the regime.  They will starve their own citizens before giving them up.  So the question becomes whether the West - particularly the USA - can live with a nuclear NK.  If so, then we enter a new phase of existence where the threat of a nuclear attack is real, as NK will only get better at launching missiles.  If not, then the USA must destroy NK's nukes, which will lead to a very destructive (even if relatively brief) war.  My guess is that at some point, the USA will decide that it cannot live with a nuclear NK, and it will take action.  That's my guess - with Trump it's impossible to predict.

Arturo

Trump will ban NK from earth. Then he will make a business deal with Kim to make more friendly relations. Then Trump will tweet out "how much great NK is now. It's stunning, how great NK is. America made NK great again"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Tank on September 07, 2017, 12:54:42 AM

I think a "cruise missile" with its GPS/terrain following/optical recognition systems is a tad more advanced than a V1 running on a compass, gyro and timer!

It wasn't a ballistic missile, that would be the V2. All the above are refinements to the basic concept of the cruise missile.

Yeah, but what refinements! Basically the difference between hitting London or hitting a specific building in London.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on September 07, 2017, 03:09:27 AM

Yeah, but what refinements! Basically the difference between hitting London or hitting a specific building in London.

A specific window in a specific building in London  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on September 08, 2017, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 07, 2017, 03:09:27 AM

A specific window in a specific building in London  :grin:

I was gonna say that but left it out!

Dave

China is showing a bit more muscle, I think that means they are mire worried/pissed off over NK than they admit. It was only about a week ago they were saying sanctions would not work, but they are complying with them. That is not quite the normal Chinese way.

QuoteChinese government orders all North Korean firms to close in China
QuoteThe Chinese government has ordered all North Korean companies based in the country to close as a result of UN sanctions over Pyongyang's latest nuclear missile tests.

China's commerce ministry said on Thursday that North Korean firms or joint ventures in China will be shut within 120 days of the UN decision, which was announced on 12 September.

The move comes amid intense international pressure on China to act to rein-in its neighbour.

Beijing had previously ordered banks to stop working with the North Korean regime following US concerns the Chinese government wasn't being tough enough on the North Korean nuclear threat.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-north-korea-firms-companies-close-beijing-commerce-nuclear-missile-crisis-us-a7971541.html