News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Religious Literature

Started by kelltrill, January 16, 2010, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelltrill

I hate to open with a disclaimer, but I would just like to apologise in advance if this already exists somewhere and I'm just being blind. I tried the search function but it didn't give me anything, so I think this is okay.

I'm online reading reviews about a book I'm thinking of buying called God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens ( http://www.amazon.com/God-Not-Great-Rel ... 0446579807 ), and I came to the forum intent to discuss it further but couldn't find an appropriate space.
Is there already a section where we can discuss religious and philosophical literature (such as The God Delusion, The End of Faith, The Case Against God etc), and if not what are the chances of someone starting one?
I think a possible subforum centred around literature would be extremely interesting, entertaining and informative, especially with regards to how various religious groups respond to the material.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

AlP

I think start a thread in the media forum with the title of the book in the thread title.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

LoneMateria

That might be a good idea a literature section.  However would we have enough people using it to make it worth it?  Oh and go ahead and buy it.  I own it and it's a good book :P.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Whitney

Quote from: "LoneMateria"That might be a good idea a literature section.  However would we have enough people using it to make it worth it?

At this time we don't.  However the media area covers literature and if there is ever more than a handful of threads we can split them into their own forum.

G-Roll

QuoteI'm online reading reviews about a book I'm thinking of buying called God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens
i would recomend it. so far religion kills is the only chapter that was hard to finish. i dont know if you have read many books on atheism, i have not so i dont know if it just repeats the same arguments everyone has already heard.
i like the book so far.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

kelltrill

Quote from: "G-Roll"i dont know if you have read many books on atheism, i have not so i dont know if it just repeats the same arguments everyone has already heard.
i like the book so far.
I haven't either, which is why I'm keen to expand my knowledge a bit. I've decided it's worth buying the book (thanks to you guys), so I'll probably start a topic about some of the arguments at a later date (in the media section, l o l) if anything particularly wows me.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."

G-Roll

since i started reading the book i started you tubbing the author christopher hitchens. he is quite the debater... and pulls no punches when he speaks.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)