News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Happy Catholic Music

Started by SisterAgatha, September 26, 2017, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I urge everyone to listen to my god Mozart's Exsultate, jubilate, composed when he was only sixteen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1HS1_ZCLk

That is great Christian music.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 05, 2017, 06:43:10 AM
I urge everyone to listen to my god Mozart's Exsultate, jubilate, composed when he was only sixteen:

I've often felt the best thing about Xtianity was the music -- not all of it, goodness knows, but some of it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

True, Books, but let's not forget the architecture too.

hermes2015

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

I've often felt the best thing about Xtianity was the music -- not all of it, goodness knows, but some of it.

I agree. Especially the music of one of my other heroes, J. S. Bach.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on October 05, 2017, 09:27:39 AM
True, Books, but let's not forget the architecture too.

As your photos so often remind us.  OK, I would agree the architecture and (some) music tie for first place.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 05, 2017, 09:34:08 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 05, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

I agree. Especially the music of one of my other heroes, J. S. Bach.

Yep.  A large number of classical composer wrote great, Xtian themed music -- or perhaps more accurately, music for Xtian use. 
Sandy

Bad Penny II

Ye Bach, so we're not limiting it to Catholic,
musicians have been inspired by Jesus
and church paid and musicians need eat.

George Harrison, My Sweet Lord,
Give Me Love Give Me Peace On Earth
Van Morrison Astral Weeks
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

And about the spectacular architecture of so many religious temples......Absolutely stunning and absolutely miraculous that old world architects and builders....bless the builders, many of whom gave their lives for the cause,.....could and did build such magnificent structures.

When one backs off a few paces from the grandeur, it is clear that we have constructed monuments to mans incredible ego, not as temples for our gods.

Biggus Dickus

I was going to stick this in the regular music thread, but this is as good a place as any.

As most of you know I live in the beautiful state of Michigan, which is also the home of the wonderful "Dominican Sisters of Mary".

The have a CD out titled: Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring: Christmas with the Dominican Sisters of Mary"

You can visit their web page to purchase the CD here: I mean Right Here!

The CD was recorded in Ann Arbor, MI...

The music is really beautifully, and before you all get on my case, yes I did buy a CD :smilenod:

Sisters are people too, and even a Sister hating, sneering, conniving atheist such as myself has a heart, and they deserve to be recognized for producing such beautiful music...haven't actually received my CD yet, I guess the Sista's are busy ice skating, but I look forward to listening to it over the holidays.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Church music is amongst the best music ever written IMO! Its purpose is secondary to its beauty.

To a degree the same goes for religious architecture and statuary
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74