News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Can anyone explain how this wasn't God in my experience I had?

Started by normawesjean, January 11, 2012, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

Is there a setting where I can turn on the videos to show up in the thread instead of a hyperlink? Or is that a software limitation?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Ali

Assuming this is sincere - my opinion is that you're still looking for something to fill that void you have inside you, only now instead of drugs or alcohol, it's god, and a god that you "encountered" during a very bad trip.  My advice for filling the void - understand that happiness is not something that can be acquired.  It's a choice that you make regardless of your circumstances.  Some people have everything and still choose to be miserable, and some have very little and still choose to be happy.  

Asmodean

Quote from: hismikeness on January 12, 2012, 01:46:10 AM
Is there a setting where I can turn on the videos to show up in the thread instead of a hyperlink? Or is that a software limitation?
Software limitation. Needs a plugin for that.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

You know, when I saw the title of this thread I promised myself pizza for lunch tomorrow if I could answer the question before I read the post.  I now get to have pizza tomorrow.

Let's start with the fact that it's impossible to prove a negative -- that's not an atheist being difficult, those are the rules of logic.  So you have to explain how that was god and not just you having a bad trip by providing proof that can be verified and replicated by anyone.  Good luck.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Traveler

Quote from: normawesjean on January 11, 2012, 11:34:44 PM
...Ever since I gave my life to Lord, I don't have that void anymore, that void that I'm pretty sure everyone who is reading this probably has if they don't know the Lord. I know that feeling, it's horrible, you try to fill it with sex, drugs, drinking, smoking, being abusive, being mean, I know that feeling. I was filled with lust trying to fill that void, and I was so mean to people, so mean to people, anyone reading this I was mean to, I'm truly sorry and I deserve that Hell I experienced because I was mean to you. I have honestly felt more outgoing to be nice to people, and my sinful desires are still there, the things I struggle with are still there, but they aren't being thrown at me like they once were, so I know God intervened in things...

I read most of what you wrote, and I have one very important comment. Your experience and opinion of what it means to be an atheist is completely and totally wrong. Most atheists I know are exceedingly happy, fullfilled, productive members of society. None of the ones I know in person (at least a dozen) are into drugs, casual sex, hatred, abuse, alcohol, or cigarettes. most of us don't feel a void in our lives. We're regular people, living regular lives. I gain my happiness from creating art, from hiking in nature, from playing with my dogs, from gathering with friends, from dining with my family ... the list goes on.

Your emptiness was your situation. It is not an atheist problem. You are confusing cause and effect. In fact, I would venture to say that the vast majority of people I know who are addicted and struggling are christians. Perhaps because there's a majority of them here, and these issues are not related to a god belief. In fact, if you look at my extended family, every single teen pregnancy, every single drug addict, every single alcoholic, every single abuser, is christian. The worst of them was a minister. On the other hand, all my immediate family are non-believers. We are all happy, productive members of society. College educated, no issues, kids in college ... your assumptions completely break down in my experience.

If you're still here (and not a drive by poster) it'll be interesting to continue the discussion. I hope you'll put in a few more paragraph breaks, though ... it was very difficult to wade through.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, normawesjean. I read that post, and an unpleasant experience it was. I have the feeling that you aren't going to bother to come back, but even if you do, this thread won't be accessible to you until you have 10 posts. Read the section in green below:

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

You already have some serious replies to that mare's nest of a post, so I'm going to add to compilation started by Asmodean. A classic from my childhood/youth.

"Eight Miles High" by The Byrds

QuoteEight miles high and when you touch down
You'll find that it's stranger than known
Signs in the street that say where you're going
Are somewhere just being their own

Nowhere is there warmth to be found
Among those afraid of losing their ground
Rain gray town known for its sound
In places small faces unbound

Round the squares huddled in storms
Some laughing some just shapeless forms
Sidewalk scenes and black limousines
Some living some standing alone

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Velma

I was hoping to ask normawesjean how many forums he or she is going to post this on.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

Neil Young - Last Trip to Tulsa

QuoteWell, I used to be asleep
you know
With blankets on my bed.
I stayed there for a while
'Til they discovered I was dead.
The coroner was friendly
And I liked him quite a lot.
If I hadn't 've been a woman
I guess I'd never have been caught.
They gave me back my house and car
And nothing more was said.

Well, I was driving
down the freeway
When my car ran out of gas.
Pulled over to the station
But I was afraid to ask.
The servicemen were yellow
And the gasoline was green.
Although I knew I couldn't
I thought that I was gonna scream.
That was on my last trip to Tulsa
Just before the snow.
If you ever need a ride there,
Be sure to let me know.

I was chopping down a palm tree
When a friend dropped by to ask
If I would feel less lonely
If he helped me swing the axe.
I said: No, it's
not a case of being lonely
We have here,
I've been working on this palm tree
For eighty seven years
I said: No, it's
not a case of being lonely
We have here,
I've been working on this palm tree
For eighty seven years
He said: Go get lost!
And walked towards his Cadillac.
I chopped down the palm tree
And it landed on his back.

Asmodean

Quote from: Velma on January 12, 2012, 10:32:25 AM
I was hoping to ask normawesjean how many forums he or she is going to post this on.
You may, but remember to post a stoner song if you do  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Velma

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Too Few Lions

one more for the compilation;

C.A. Quintet - Bury Me in a Marijuana Field

from your own testament, you sound like you were always desperate to believe in a god, and were incapable of living a happy life without that belief, so it's not much of a surprise you ended up believing in one.

Gawen

Quote from: Asmodean on January 12, 2012, 10:36:20 AM
Quote from: Velma on January 12, 2012, 10:32:25 AM
You may, but remember to post a stoner song if you do  ;D
Ah....never gave it a thought. So here's a snippet of Pass the Kutchie from the Mighty Diamonds:
"Pass the kutchie pon the left hand side
Pass the kutchie pon the left hand side
It a go bun, it a go dung, Jah know"
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor