News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

How old is the Earth?

Started by Tank, August 19, 2011, 07:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Gawen on August 27, 2011, 02:19:36 PM
Quote from: Black36Scientists offer possible explanations or assumptions, which are influenced by the scientist's personal bias.
And yours isn't?
Evidently not.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

One might also consider this evidence quite compelling Climate and atmospheric history of the past 420,000 years from the Vostok ice core, Antarctica

Quote from: AbstractThe recent completion of drilling at Vostok station in East Antarctica has allowed the extension of the ice record of
atmospheric composition and climate to the past four glacial–interglacial cycles. The succession of changes through
each climate cycle and termination was similar, and atmospheric and climate properties oscillated between stable
bounds.Interglacial periods differed in temporal evolution and duration. Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide
and methane correlate well with Antarctic air-temperature throughout the record. Present-day atmospheric burdens of
these two important greenhouse gases seem to have been unprecedented during the past 420,000 years.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Black36

Quote from: Stevil on August 27, 2011, 10:38:56 AM
If the earth is 5,000 years old then how old is our universe with regards to the big bang event?
Why do you assume a big bang?

Black36

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 02:28:30 PM
Quote from: Black36Scientists offer possible explanations or assumptions, which are influenced by the scientist's personal bias.
And yours isn't?
Hey, I admit to being biased.

Tank

Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:39:59 PM
And yours isn't?
lol Admitting one is biased does not excuse the bias, it makes thing worse as you are saying you don't care that your bias effects your judgement.

Black36

The ice layers, just as with radioisotope dating methods, require initial condition information and conditional impact information throughout the life of the thing being studied. We have neither, so all we have are assumptions. We know from scripture that Adam was created in an adult state, so it is possible and completely coherent and consistant within a theistic model that the universe was also created in an adult state. You must give me something better in order to give me pause.

Black36

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 04:45:58 PM
And yours isn't?
lol Admitting one is biased does not excuse the bias, it makes thing worse as you are saying you don't care that your bias effects your judgement.
I hope you are not suggesting that you are biased free.

Tank

Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:39:09 PM
If the earth is 5,000 years old then how old is our universe with regards to the big bang event?
That's really not answering the question is it? If you don't think there was a big bang then say so. And there is significant evidence for the event called the big bang, the expanding universe, stellar red shift and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Black36

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 04:49:56 PM
That's really not answering the question is it? If you don't think there was a big bang then say so. And there is significant evidence for the event called the big bang, the expanding universe, stellar red shift and the cosmic microwave background radiation.
You mean you assume that there was a big bang, assuming current natural laws reveal completely consistant behaviors throughout time. Assuming time has remained consistant. Assuming there was a big bang, there had to be a big banger, no?

Tank

Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:47:59 PM
And yours isn't?
I am most definitely stating I am bias free. Bias is an irrational emotional attachment to an idea. If you go to the God Hypothesis thread and state your case there I will evaluate what you propose and if I feel your hypothesis worthy of consideration then I will take it on board. Please don't derail this thread anymore, feel free to start a thread on bias if you are that concerned about it.

Tank

Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:53:23 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 04:49:56 PM
You mean you assume that there was a big bang, assuming current natural laws reveal completely consistant behaviors throughout time. Assuming time has remained consistant. Assuming there was a big bang, there had to be a big banger, no?
Start a thread on the Big Bang and we can debate that issue there. Otherwise please stop trying to 'bait and switch' on this thread please.

Black36

Quote from: Tank on August 27, 2011, 04:53:49 PM
Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:47:59 PM
And yours isn't?
I am most definitely stating I am bias free. Bias is an irrational emotional attachment to an idea. If you go to the God Hypothesis thread and state your case there I will evaluate what you propose and if I feel your hypothesis worthy of consideration then I will take it on board. Please don't derail this thread anymore, feel free to start a thread on bias if you are that concerned about it.
By responding to your post I'm derailing the thread? That does not make sense and is unfair.

Tank

Quote from: Black36 on August 27, 2011, 04:47:03 PM
The ice layers, just as with radioisotope dating methods, require initial condition information and conditional impact information throughout the life of the thing being studied. We have neither, so all we have are assumptions. We know from scripture that Adam was created in an adult state, so it is possible and completely coherent and consistant within a theistic model that the universe was also created in an adult state. You must give me something better in order to give me pause.
We have an initial starting condition, the top surface of the ice sheet. We can calibrate the ice cores based on volcanic eruptions that deposit dust in the stratigraphy. A model may be self consistant, but that does not make the model correct. Testing the model against other models e.g. 'ice cores > dendrochronology > sedimentry varve chronologies > radiocarbon' are all cross referential, which is why they can be trusted. I would not trust any one method in isolation but collectivly they represent a reliable set of data and processes.

xSilverPhinx

I'm definitely biased towards accepting what the people who actually know what they're talking about than any creationist who, like I said, want to fit reality into their worldview and not the other way round. Scientists are valid authorities, when talking about their fields of study and expertise.

Just out of curiousity, what would you accept as a margin of error? from 5 000 to 7000 years? 5000 to a million?

QuoteTesting the model against other models e.g. 'ice cores > dendrochronology > sedimentry varve chronologies > radiocarbon' are all cross referential, which is why they can be trusted. I would not trust any one method in isolation but collectivly they represent a reliable set of data and processes.

This.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Whitney

YECs don't believe in the Big Bang other than "and god said let there be light...BANG...light"