News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Well this place seems like it could be interesting

Started by Augustus, March 21, 2012, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Hello there, I'm an English atheist currently doing A levels. I've browsed this forum from time to time but never signed up (until now ofc). You guys seem to have intelligent discussions rather than getting pissed off and insulting people like other sites so i thought i would join in.. if you'll have me :)

Go easy on me at first, im still a newbie but im sure i'll enjoy taking part in the community. Even from just browsing i can tell there's a strong community here as a fair few names keep popping up all over the place.

So yeah about me, i was raised a 'Christian' although we never really went to church, i went to a Church of England school but was never really religious, even as a kid i preferred scientific explanations of things, i guess i just saw the bible as an interpretation. I realised i was an atheist a few years back when i started asking our R.S. teacher questions about contradictions in the bible that really only started out to annoy him.

I know calling myself 'great one' might be a bit cheeky but why not start how you mean to go on?  :D

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 10:36:36 AMYou guys seem to have intelligent discussions

Yes but I refuse to be bound by that precedent.

Hello

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum Augustus *bow* cheekyness is generally a good thing

Asmodean

Roses are red
The sky is blue
The Asmo derails
And so can you

:D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi Augustus

I'm glad that the forum comes over as a generally safe and comfortable place to hang out. Feel free to get stuck in!

Thanks for making the effort to sign up and join in.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Welcome to the forums!
Quote from: Augustus on March 21, 2012, 10:36:36 AM
Hello there, I'm an English atheist currently doing A levels. I've browsed this forum from time to time but never signed up (until now ofc). You guys seem to have intelligent discussions rather than getting pissed off and insulting people like other sites so i thought i would join in.. if you'll have me :)

Go easy on me at first, im still a newbie but im sure i'll enjoy taking part in the community. Even from just browsing i can tell there's a strong community here as a fair few names keep popping up all over the place.

So yeah about me, i was raised a 'Christian' although we never really went to church, i went to a Church of England school but was never really religious, even as a kid i preferred scientific explanations of things, i guess i just saw the bible as an interpretation. I realised i was an atheist a few years back when i started asking our R.S. teacher questions about contradictions in the bible that really only started out to annoy him.

I know calling myself 'great one' might be a bit cheeky but why not start how you mean to go on?  :D

I would advise against the 'great one' seeing s we already have an egotistical lump of clay residing here.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Augustus

Thanks guys, this is exactly what i meant by the forum coming across as a friendly place :)

Ali

Hi and Welcome! 

Hmm a Great One and a Grey One.  Is the world large enough?  *sits down with a bowl of popcorn to watch*

Buddy

Maybe the Great Grey One will take mercy on this newblet and teach him the ways of the clay.  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Welcome Augustus (does the choice of name have anything to do with your chosen title? ;D)

Anyone cheeky enough to annoy a R.S teacher is great in my book. Religious Studies holier-than-thou plus being a teacher (for some, holier-than-thou) is a combination I've found to be a bit intolerable. ::) 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

One thing's for sure, you won't be short of is material for an avatar!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Augustus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 21, 2012, 02:30:51 PM
Welcome Augustus (does the choice of name have anything to do with your chosen title? ;D)

Anyone cheeky enough to annoy a R.S teacher is great in my book. Religious Studies holier-than-thou plus being a teacher (for some, holier-than-thou) is a combination I've found to be a bit intolerable. ::) 

Well i'm doing Classical Civilisations A level so i thought i might as well go with the Username Augustus seeing as i've got an exam on the man in a few months :)

Siz

Quote from: Tank on March 21, 2012, 03:07:25 PM
One thing's for sure, you won't be short of is material for an avatar!

[assimilation forecast: excellent]

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome! Cheekiness is something I shall be looking up now.  I am guessing it's what chipmunks have? I know it involves the hoarding of nuts in ones cheeks.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins