News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Looking for stimulating debate

Started by allymadrunner, March 06, 2012, 02:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allymadrunner

I stumbled across this interesting corner of the internet and it looks like there is a lot of good debate and discussion on here.

I'm originally from Scotland in the UK and like most other Scottish school children, I was taught about Christianity as if it was the accepted, normal thing and that there wasn't much need for a discussion,I was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!). I probably started questioning the existance of God at the age of about 12, and by my mid-teens I could not believe that seemingly sensible people were still taking religious teachings seriously.

I personally believe that the UK is extremely tolerant of atheists and is a largely secular state, the funding of faith based schools being a notable abboration however. I have noticed that this does not seem to be the case in the USA where there seems to be a far greater degree of persecution. I generally have a belief of: "Believe what you want", but after hearing some of the garbage spoken about atheists in other parts of the world, it makes my blood boil.

Anyway, thats enough self indulgence, I look forward to some interesting debates.

Whitney

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: allymadrunner on March 06, 2012, 02:06:11 AMit makes my blood boil.

Ye it can do that, I try to keep it to a slow simmer most of the time.

Welcome

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, allymadrunner. There are debates (of varying quality) to be found here, but there is also a fair amount of friendly socializing.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Too Few Lions

welcome to the forum Ally, there are plenty of us Brits here (assuming you consider yourself as a Brit and not just a Scot  ;))
I know where you're coming from with the Christening thing, I can't believe my parents were so stupid as to Christen me. I just hope I gave the vicar a very evil stare as he poured water over my little head.

Tank

Hi allymadrunner

Your user name puts my in mind of a parkour enthusiast, or a guy in a hoody legging it!  :D

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: allymadrunner on March 06, 2012, 02:06:11 AM
I stumbled across this interesting corner of the internet and it looks like there is a lot of good debate and discussion on here.

I'm originally from Scotland in the UK and like most other Scottish school children, I was taught about Christianity as if it was the accepted, normal thing and that there wasn't much need for a discussion,I was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!). I probably started questioning the existance of God at the age of about 12, and by my mid-teens I could not believe that seemingly sensible people were still taking religious teachings seriously.

I personally believe that the UK is extremely tolerant of atheists and is a largely secular state, the funding of faith based schools being a notable abboration however. I have noticed that this does not seem to be the case in the USA where there seems to be a far greater degree of persecution. I generally have a belief of: "Believe what you want", but after hearing some of the garbage spoken about atheists in other parts of the world, it makes my blood boil.

Anyway, thats enough self indulgence, I look forward to some interesting debates.
Welcome to the forum! you are completely right about the U.S. Atheists such as myself are pretty descriminated against.  In the south I have to hear BS about god all day every day, yet when I mention one thing about not believing I get the head shake, or I'll pray for you.  That is one subject I will argue about no matter what.  Don't push that crap off on me just bc you have been brainwashed!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Ali

Crocoduck

I was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!).

It beats being circumcised!

Welcome to HAF

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

MariaEvri

QuoteI was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!
same here, someting all children of orthodox christians have to suffer
welcome
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Siz

Quote from: MariaEvri on March 17, 2012, 02:43:07 PM
QuoteI was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!
same here, someting all children of orthodox christians have to suffer
welcome

I was Christened and didn't suffer the slightest from it. Maybe your vicar was doing it wrong to make it so painful for you...! Or maybe you're all overreacting...

Just sayin'...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

Welcome! Debates do break out around here from time to time.  :)

I was christened and it doesn't bother me much now. It was kind of silly, but no lasting damage.

That cross tattoo I got when I was 18, though. I'd like to get that covered up sometime.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Crocoduck on March 07, 2012, 05:20:58 PM
I was even Christened (something I'll never forgive my parents for!).

It beats being circumcised!

First of all welcome to HAF.

Thank you Croco for reminding me about my mutilated penis... I'm very resentful my mother thought it was a good idea to slice my foreskin, peel it back, and reattach it. I can't help but hold it against my family. I think this is the first time my blood has started boiling on the introductions board  :(
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.