News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Saying Hello

Started by TeresaBenedicta, May 04, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeresaBenedicta

I caught wind of this site through the grapevine and thought it'd be an interesting place to check into.

I am a former atheist myself.  I've always valued truth more and I continue to seek it whole-heartedly today.  I am now a Roman Catholic and, within the next year, I will be consecrating myself to God as a religious sister, making vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.  Quite the jump from a former atheist!

Anyways, I'm not here to preach.  I'm more than willing to share my beliefs to all who ask, but if/when I enter into any discussions, I'd prefer to work with philosophy and reason alone.

Mostly I'm just interested in everyone else's experiences and beliefs.

So, hello!
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

hismikeness

Wow... quite the journey.

Welcome to HAF!

No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Hi Teresa

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

Good luck on your journey to poverty, chastity, and obedience. Sounds like lots of fun.
Congratulations on your choice of church also.
I've been to the vatican twice now. It's the most palacial, extravagant and wealthy church I have ever seen. I'm sure your tithes will be put to great use.

BTW, welcome.

Maria

Hello Teresa.

Welcome to HAF. I hope we can persuade you not to throw your life away for a non-existent sky daddy.
I hope you're not offended by that.

Maria.

The Black Jester

The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

PapistItalian16

Hey Teresa!

I too am a Roman Catholic! hahaha. You might know me as my alter-ego from Phatmass: BigJon16  ;D

Are we starting the second FBC? hahahahaha

And god bless, and welcome to HAF!
River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Melmoth

"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Cecilie

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The world's what you create.

TeresaBenedicta

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Quote from: Maria on May 04, 2011, 09:37:41 AM
Hello Teresa.

Welcome to HAF. I hope we can persuade you not to throw your life away for a non-existent sky daddy.
I hope you're not offended by that.

Maria.

Nah, not offended in the least.  It's interesting to think about, though.  What if, at the end of my life, I did come to find that God did not exist?  What would I think of my life decision(s) then?  I think I'd be okay with it... because, at the very least, I dedicated myself to helping and serving others in a radical way.  And I lived a fulfilled, if not ignorant, life.

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Stevil

Do you think society and god is best served by you denying yourself a human existence?

Do you think that you can truly get close to god without experiencing mortal love? The special emotional bond between a husband and wife and also between a parent and child is the deepest and most fulfilling form of love that a mere mortal person can experience. But the thing about love is that there is an endless supply of it. Just because you may have formed loving relationships with humans, it doesn't mean you will love your god any less.

Do you think that living a life by being a full time worker at a humanitary styled job e.g. helping special needs children, being a social worker, having a full time role in a Charity organisation ensuring funds are best used to support those in need, do you think these types of roles might serve humanity and god best rather than a life in church?

Are you happy that the Catholic church view women as somewhat less than that of a man? There will never be a woman pope or a woman arch bishop. Do you want to support this stance and promote it?

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 04, 2011, 07:32:45 AM
Good luck on your journey to poverty, chastity, and obedience. Sounds like lots of fun.
Congratulations on your choice of church also.
I've been to the vatican twice now. It's the most palacial, extravagant and wealthy church I have ever seen. I'm sure your tithes will be put to great use.

BTW, welcome.

I hope to go and visit someday.

You're not the first to comment on the extravagant nature & beauty of the churches.  The thinking behind it has to do with fighting spiritual poverty, as well as material poverty.  Beauty can & does lift the mind & heart to God.  It can take one's breath away.  It can remind one that they are truly human.  I'd be more pessimistic about it if the Catholic Church wasn't one of the biggest proponents of fighting material poverty.

Stevil

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 08:20:49 PM
I'd be more pessimistic about it if the Catholic Church wasn't one of the biggest proponents of fighting material poverty.

I'm sorry, I'm confussed.
They fight material poverty by getting you to take a vow of (material) poverty?

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 04, 2011, 08:11:21 PM
Do you think society and god is best served by you denying yourself a human existence?

Hm.  Will I be living a life less than human as a religious?  Obviously I'd object to that caricature.  Even on a natural or philosophical level.  Poverty- there are billions of people who live in poverty... are they living an authentically human existence?  I'd say so.  Chastity- there are many, many people who choose not to get married or live without sex... are they living an authentically human existence?  I'd say so.  Obedience- there are many people who willing choose to be obedient to another (I'm thinking military personnel)... are they living an authentically human existence?  Yes, I'd say so.

I don't think that, choosing this life of my own free will, denies myself a human existence.  In fact, I'd say that it makes my existence all the more authentically human precisely because it is chosen of my own free will.

QuoteDo you think that you can truly get close to god without experiencing mortal love? The special emotional bond between a husband and wife and also between a parent and child is the deepest and most fulfilling form of love that a mere mortal person can experience. But the thing about love is that there is an endless supply of it. Just because you may have formed loving relationships with humans, it doesn't mean you will love your god any less.

I don't disagree with anything here that you've said.  For many people, marriage and the love expressed therein is precisely how they will best love God.  I don't look down on married love by any means.  But my calling is love in a more universal, although no less passionate way.  True, I will not have sex, but that is not the only way to express one's love.  My spousal bond will be with God. 

QuoteDo you think that living a life by being a full time worker at a humanitary styled job e.g. helping special needs children, being a social worker, having a full time role in a Charity organisation ensuring funds are best used to support those in need, do you think these types of roles might serve humanity and god best rather than a life in church?

Many of these will be the sort of works that I will be doing, coupled of course with prayer and community life.

QuoteAre you happy that the Catholic church view women as somewhat less than that of a man? There will never be a woman pope or a woman arch bishop. Do you want to support this stance and promote it?

I don't agree with the premise-- "that the Catholic church views women as somewhat less than that of a man."  'Women priests' is not an equality issue by any means.  The nature (essence) of the priesthood is inherently male.  Just as it is impossible for a male to conceive and bring to term a child, so is it impossible for a female to be ordained into the ministerial priesthood.

TeresaBenedicta

Quote from: Stevil on May 04, 2011, 08:34:13 PM
Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 08:20:49 PM
I'd be more pessimistic about it if the Catholic Church wasn't one of the biggest proponents of fighting material poverty.

I'm sorry, I'm confussed.
They fight material poverty by getting you to take a vow of (material) poverty?

I was more thinking along the lines of the countless charities ran and operated by the Catholic Church and her members.  But, I think you make a point.  Those within the Church that have made a vow of material poverty do a lot for the poor as well.  They live their lives serving those most in need.  They are the 'grunt' work, in many cases.  The ones actually out there hand-feeding those who are too weak to even eat.  Bathing those who've gone years without a bath.  Educating those who otherwise would have no education.  Etc.