News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Gays, liberal Christianity and consistency

Started by Gorton, April 17, 2011, 06:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 08:18:29 AM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 03:34:29 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2011, 10:13:08 PM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 11, 2011, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 04:42:55 AM
Hey. I've been in the dilemma before, well, really I still am in it, of being a Christian and (in my personal case) being bi-curious. While in some communities, Christianity and gay can co-exists, I'm finding it more often that not that they can't. Sucks for me, I guess, but glad to hear you've found someone who almost shared your beliefs.

At the end of the day, god made you that way, yet god says it's not ok? This does not make sense along with most other religious teachings. And that is because they are made up by ancient savages.
Why were they savages? They may have lacked understanding about the way the world worked but that makes them 'ignorant', not necessarily savages.

They used to sacrifice people and killing in the name of god was just fine. That makes the people of 2,000 years ago savages, IMO.
WTF! Just because some people may carried out human sacrifice 2,000 years ago does not make all people who lived 2,000 years ago savages!

The people who wrote the holy books were religious and likely agreed with the hideous practices of the time therefore were equally culpable. I don't think I'm making a quantum leap here.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Tank

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 08:53:53 AM
Hey. I've been in the dilemma before, well, really I still am in it, of being a Christian and (in my personal case) being bi-curious. While in some communities, Christianity and gay can co-exists, I'm finding it more often that not that they can't. Sucks for me, I guess, but glad to hear you've found someone who almost shared your beliefs.

At the end of the day, god made you that way, yet god says it's not ok? This does not make sense along with most other religious teachings. And that is because they are made up by ancient savages.
Why were they savages? They may have lacked understanding about the way the world worked but that makes them 'ignorant', not necessarily savages.

They used to sacrifice people and killing in the name of god was just fine. That makes the people of 2,000 years ago savages, IMO.
WTF! Just because some people may carried out human sacrifice 2,000 years ago does not make all people who lived 2,000 years ago savages!

The people who wrote the holy books were religious and likely agreed with the hideous practices of the time therefore were equally culpable. I don't think I'm making a quantum leap here.
So by you're argument you are a rapist? It goes like this. 99% of rapes are carried out by men therefore all men are rapists. Exactly how many religious groups carried out human sacrific? Get some facts and be specific please. So were the Greeks 'savages' some/most of them were theists. You are making horrendous generalisation about the behaviours of billions of people you have never met.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 09:02:19 AMSo were the Greeks 'savages' some/most of them were theists.

I suppose so.

If you draw a circle around yours and behave civilly within, but you're a hero for slaughtering those outside the circle, you are a savage by my measure.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 09:02:19 AM

So by you're argument you are a rapist? It goes like this. 99% of rapes are carried out by men therefore all men are rapists. Exactly how many religious groups carried out human sacrific? Get some facts and be specific please. So were the Greeks 'savages' some/most of them were theists. You are making horrendous generalisation about the behaviours of billions of people you have never met.

Billions? Not in those days.

I never said they were all ancient savages, I said the books were written by ancient savages. You only have to read the OT, and I know you will have. Christopher Hitchens agrees with me, well technically I agree with him because he first mooted that the bible was written by "ancient savages", so that'll do for me.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

not your typical...

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on November 12, 2011, 04:43:48 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 12, 2011, 09:02:19 AM

Billions? Not in those days.

I never said they were all ancient savages, I said the books were written by ancient savages. You only have to read the OT, and I know you will have. Christopher Hitchens agrees with me, well technically I agree with him because he first mooted that the bible was written by "ancient savages", so that'll do for me.
I don't think necessarily that all who wrote the Bible were savages, just like not all who were in the Bible were savages. I believe that in our modern day and age, we see them as savage, simply because we don't carry out the same practices anymore. But I'm almost positive that if we lived back then, with the exception of a few small breed, we would have similar, if not all the same mentality. Personally, I don't like to judge unless I understand the person's point of view. For them, sacrifice was normal, to us it's cruel and unusual. It all depends on how close you stand to the mirror.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Jonesboy

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:39:54 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:29:57 PM
Do you understand this sentence:
"The west, for one, is characterized by a moral panic over experiences that challenge their world view. "
I showed that around my house. The opinion was that with average reading ability and allowance for context it looks straight forward. Who did you say was drunk or on drugs.
That's not the issue here. The issue is how you're stating that everyone is "thoroughbred Christian" when in all honesty, Christianity is turning into a seasonal coat, just take it out on Christmas and Easter, and some don't even acknowledge it. How do you explain the people with no knowledge of God or Christianity whatsoever? And you still didn't answer about how there are Atheist.

You have developed a censor againt altered states. You have adopted the moral code of christinaity. yOu have accepted a belief in the afterlife of the gene.

Jonesboy

Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:37:02 PMI know what socially non-compliant is, but what's autism?
Autism is a non-thing, a modern belief in a non-thing. No one can say they "have it", because nothing, no "it", is specified, described, or understood.
That's good news.
(I used autism as an example of our religious leanings. Forget this example.)
With this, it's time for me to leave the taco stand.

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
@anyone: What's with all the people picking on autism lately?
I have no idea. It seems that the latest 'controversial' topics are autism and sexual orientation. I don't get what the fascination is.
It's probably because we autistics are the genetically engineered super human future of the human race that the Government has been secretly developing with the aliens since they landed in Roswell. You just wait until our psychic powers are activated by the chemicals put into the air by the contrails of the airplanes and start taking over the human race!

I think I've said too much...

We "autistics"?What do you mean by autistics?

BullyforBronto

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 13, 2011, 03:44:48 AM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 09:37:02 PMI know what socially non-compliant is, but what's autism?
Autism is a non-thing, a modern belief in a non-thing. No one can say they "have it", because nothing, no "it", is specified, described, or understood.
That's good news.
(I used autism as an example of our religious leanings. Forget this example.)
With this, it's time for me to leave the taco stand.

Quote from: not your typical... on November 11, 2011, 09:35:00 PM
Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
@anyone: What's with all the people picking on autism lately?

I have no idea. It seems that the latest 'controversial' topics are autism and sexual orientation. I don't get what the fascination is.
It's probably because we autistics are the genetically engineered super human future of the human race that the Government has been secretly developing with the aliens since they landed in Roswell. You just wait until our psychic powers are activated by the chemicals put into the air by the contrails of the airplanes and start taking over the human race!

I think I've said too much...

We "autistics"?What do you mean by autistics?

Hey, Jonesboy,
Maybe you should begin by doing a bit of research on autism before making such wide sweeping generalizations on it being some sort of fiction. Have you ever spent an hour with an individual with autism, mild, severe or otherwise?
So, autism is a non-thing? That's great. Can you cite a source for this claim? It is, in fact, a thing, a disorder, sometimes debilitating, and your bullshit statement is the epitome of ignorance.
So, autism is a non-thing? Why is it, then, that my autistic son did not speak until he was five. Why is it that he cannot understand how to pull up his pants, but can perform complicated (for his age) mathematical problems and is functionally literate? What do you gain by making such statements?
Socially non compliant is a far way off from autism. The disorder is not a fiction. It is not a fad. Autism, for some, can be a life long struggle, and for you to relegate it to the realm of the imagined is disingenuous and quite offensive.

OldGit

I work with a number of autistic people in the charity for which I'm a volunteer.  Jonesboy, you are talking through your arse on that subject and I make no apology for being blunt about it.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.