News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The Walking Contradiction explains his screen name and hopes to meet you all

Started by TheWalkingContradiction, July 08, 2012, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Personally I think Q had the best line in Voyager when he referred to Nelix as "bar rodent".

Or possibly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=circ3_-JJy0
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 08, 2012, 10:36:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 10:31:58 PM
TWC please do separate posts so others don't have to dig out bits from your posts.  ;D

Thanks

Will do from now on.  No problem.

Almost forgot...  Here is the love of my life.  Her name is Roscoe.

What a magnificent pussy!!!

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Yay! Another cat person! I think we have officially taken over!

I have a black and white kitty, as well as a ticked tabby. They're my boys and I love them (even though one is kinda an asshole and the other requires daily medication and throws up a lot).
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 08, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
Hmmm...  I did say that Picard and Guinan should marry, but I said nothing of sex.  "Beyond friendship, beyond family" can also be beyond sex.  In my opinion, theirs can be an intensely loving asexual pairing.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't see any point to marrying if you're not getting sex out of it.  Marriage without sex is just friendship, unless you're doing it for legal benefits and I don't imagine that's an issue any more in the ST:TNG universe.

And I'm another of the cat people around here -- my DeeDee:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 10:38:34 PM
Personally I think Q had the best line in Voyager when he referred to Nelix as "bar rodent".

Or possibly this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=circ3_-JJy0

If I remember correctly, I think I saw that episode with a friend the first time around, and I think he applauded at the "bar rodent" line.  Q nailed that one!

Roscoe thanks you for calling her magnificent.  "Tank nailed that one," she said.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 08, 2012, 10:45:29 PM

I have a black and white kitty, as well as a ticked tabby. They're my boys and I love them (even though one is kinda an asshole and the other requires daily medication and throws up a lot).

Roscoe also needs medication and sometimes throws up.  She was a street cat I rescued at the end of August 2011, when Hurricane Irene was about to hit New York.  I had been feeding her for a while before that and was also looking for a home for her.  We had bonded, and there was no way I was going to leave her out in a hurricane.  A vet my sister knows well put her up during the storm, and I paid for a bath and a thorough medical exam.  (Unfortunately, she has FIV.)  

I was not looking for a first pet, but everything has worked out beautifully.  Roscoe and I get along well and respect each other's space.  She also sleeps in my bed (despite having her own cat bed) about 50% of the time.

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 08, 2012, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 08, 2012, 10:30:11 PM
Hmmm...  I did say that Picard and Guinan should marry, but I said nothing of sex.  "Beyond friendship, beyond family" can also be beyond sex.  In my opinion, theirs can be an intensely loving asexual pairing.

Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't see any point to marrying if you're not getting sex out of it.  Marriage without sex is just friendship, unless you're doing it for legal benefits and I don't imagine that's an issue any more in the ST:TNG universe.

And I'm another of the cat people around here -- my DeeDee:

DeeDee is gorgeous!  I especially love the brownish patches on the white beneath her nose.

You are not old-fashioned; I just tend to be too PC for my own good.  

But that aside, I know and respect asexuals and am often saddened when people don't accept asexuality as a sexual identity.  Devoted asexual couples do exist, and they get married for reasons other than sex since they have no interest in sex.  There are also couples in which one person is asexual (Guinan?) and one is not (Picard).  That necessitates a lot of patience and negotiations.  I believe Guinan and Picard could make it work.  I do not know if I could make it work.

But please feel free to disagree. I know my idea is not popular.

Buddy

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 08, 2012, 10:36:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 08, 2012, 10:31:58 PM
TWC please do separate posts so others don't have to dig out bits from your posts.  ;D

Thanks

Will do from now on.  No problem.

Almost forgot...  Here is the love of my life.  Her name is Roscoe.

Roscoe looks very full of herself. She and my lizard would get alond fabulously.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 09, 2012, 12:00:42 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 08, 2012, 10:45:29 PM

Roscoe also needs medication and sometimes throws up.  She was a street cat I rescued at the end of August 2011, when Hurricane Irene was about to hit New York.  I had been feeding her for a while before that and was also looking for a home for her.  We had bonded, and there was no way I was going to leave her out in a hurricane.  A vet my sister knows well put her up during the storm, and I paid for a bath and a thorough medical exam.  (Unfortunately, she has FIV.)  

I was not looking for a first pet, but everything has worked out beautifully.  Roscoe and I get along well and respect each other's space.  She also sleeps in my bed (despite having her own cat bed) about 50% of the time.

Aww, that's a lovely story. I worked in a vet clinic for two years (doing reception/assistant type stuff) and there are a lot of people who would have put an FIV positive kitty down right away. You're good to take care of her. I call Ollie my "Gentleman Kitty" because he's gentle and also spends a lot of time in our bed (he usually comes to say goodnight to me every evening, at the very least). There's nothing like a warm bed with a ball-of-fur companion.  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: TheWalkingContradiction on July 09, 2012, 12:07:17 AM
DeeDee is gorgeous!  I especially love the brownish patches on the white beneath her nose.

Yeah, I think it makes her look like she's been eating butterscotch.

QuoteBut that aside, I know and respect asexuals and am often saddened when people don't accept asexuality as a sexual identity.  Devoted asexual couples do exist, and they get married for reasons other than sex since they have no interest in sex.  

I have no problem accepting asexuality, and I can see a sexless marriage in a society where you get benefits out of it that aren't availabe to the unmarried (personally think the inconvenience of no sex in the marriage would out-weigh any number of benefits, but that's just me), just doesn't seem that sort of unequal distribution of benefits would still exist in -- what is it? -- the 26th century.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

markmcdaniel

Ok more than a few contradictions might be a problem. I would still watch out for the Trekkies first.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: Budhorse4 on July 09, 2012, 01:21:15 AM

Roscoe looks very full of herself. She and my lizard would get alond fabulously.

In the photo, Roscoe is very proud of herself.  I had asked her to include a message in the e-mail I was sending a friend, and she typed several K's and 8's...

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 09, 2012, 02:11:05 AM

Aww, that's a lovely story. I worked in a vet clinic for two years (doing reception/assistant type stuff) and there are a lot of people who would have put an FIV positive kitty down right away. You're good to take care of her. I call Ollie my "Gentleman Kitty" because he's gentle and also spends a lot of time in our bed (he usually comes to say goodnight to me every evening, at the very least). There's nothing like a warm bed with a ball-of-fur companion.  :)

Ah yes, that warm ball of fur has cheered me up many times.

As to putting down an FIV kitty...  Just look into Roscoe's eyes.  How could anyone do that?

TheWalkingContradiction

Hee hee.  Love the butterscotch line.

I also love your screen name.  Cats and books are two of the greatest joys in life!

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on July 09, 2012, 02:33:45 AM

I have no problem accepting asexuality, and I can see a sexless marriage in a society where you get benefits out of it that aren't availabe to the unmarried (personally think the inconvenience of no sex in the marriage would out-weigh any number of benefits, but that's just me), just doesn't seem that sort of unequal distribution of benefits would still exist in -- what is it? -- the 26th century.

I don't think I would be very happy in a sexless marriage either.

As I understand it, asexuals can be heteroromantic (romantically but not sexually attracted to the opposite sex), homoromantic (romantically but not sexually attracted to the same sex), biromantic (romantically but not sexually attracted to both sexes), or aromantic (not romantically or sexually attracted to anyone).  People in the first three categories--not aromantics--would cuddle, lightly kiss, want to be together...  Just not have sex.  So, aside from tax benefits and health plans, there are couple-oriented reasons for some asexuals to be together.

Of course, this is quite a blanket statement/generalization on my part, and I am but an outsider looking in and really wanting to understand and be supportive.  Not every asexual fits into these constructs so smoothly just as others do not fit so smoothly into the modern Western constructs of heterosexual, biseuxal, lesbian, and gay.

---
To all:

If anyone here is looking for a really, really good board where you can talk to other asexuals, here is one on which I posted as a guest years ago when someone I know came out as asexual: http://www.asexuality.org/home/

TheWalkingContradiction

Quote from: markmcdaniel on July 09, 2012, 03:14:26 AM
Ok more than a few contradictions might be a problem. I would still watch out for the Trekkies first.

Yes, contradictions and Trekkies can both be a problem if allowed to run around unsupervised at a convention.  Have you ever seen the video of fans in Klingon dress and mode practically terrorizing the waiters in a Thai restaurant?   ;D