News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

"I wish it worked for me"...

Started by Sophus, February 21, 2010, 10:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typist

Quote from: "Typist"The fact that some people keep praying, shows that it is working for them, or they would stop doing it.

Quote from: "Jay"All that the fact that some people keep praying illustrates is that some people keep praying. It's illogical to then try to infer that this is any kind of proof that praying actually works for them.

Ok J, you have made an assertion.  A first step.  Now please explain WHY your assertion is correct, instead of simply stating it is correct.

As example, please explain why billions of people in every culture keep praying for thousands of years, if it doesn't work for them?

i_am_i

Quote from: "Typist"The fact that some people keep praying, shows that it is working for them, or they would stop doing it.

Quote from: "Jay"All that the fact that some people keep praying illustrates is that some people keep praying. It's illogical to then try to infer that this is any kind of proof that praying actually works for them.

Quote from: "Typist"Ok J, you have made an assertion.  A first step.  Now please explain WHY your assertion is correct, instead of simply stating it is correct.

As example, please explain why billions of people in every culture keep praying for thousands of years, if it doesn't work for them?

I haven't made an assertion, I just dismantled your assertion, such as it is.

Here's what you're saying:

1. Billions of people in every culture keep praying.
2. Therefore praying works for them.

There's absolutely nothing logical about that, it doesn't work, the center doesn't hold, and so on.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Typist

Quote from: "i_am_i"Here's what you're saying:

Yes, agreed.   That's what I'm saying

Eating works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Sleeping works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Sex works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Praying works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

QuoteThere's absolutely nothing logical about that, it doesn't work, the center doesn't hold, and so on.

More lazy assertions J.  

Please provide your explanation of why all these people keep praying if it doesn't work for them.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Typist"
Quote from: "i_am_i"Here's what you're saying:

Yes, agreed.   That's what I'm saying

Eating works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Sleeping works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Sex works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Praying works for them, that's why they keep doing it.

Epic logical fail, equating survival needs to praying. This is called an invalid argument, a false value. Even an amatuer logistitian could see that.

Plain and simple, you're wrong.

Let me give you an example of good logic based on verifiable arguments:

1. Books are written by human beings.
2. The Bible is a collection of books.
3. The books contained in the Bible were written by human beings.

See how it works now?
Call me J

Sapere aude

Typist

Quote from: "i_am_i"Plain and simple, you're wrong.

Sorry J, apologies, but you seem to be too lazy at the moment to merit my time.

i_am_i

Quote from: "i_am_i"Plain and simple, you're wrong.

Sorry J, apologies, but you seem to be too lazy at the moment to merit my time.

Now with the ad hominem argument, I see. And I'm the one who's lazy?

Your valuable time might be better spent in boning up on the basics of constructing a logical argument.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Typist

J, my contributions to our exchange have been logic based.

It is also simply a fact, a logical analysis, that your reaction to this exchange has been lazy assertions, and nothing much more.

I addressed this at your request.  You have your reply.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Typist"J, my contributions to our exchange have been logic based.

Typist's proof that praying works:

That's what you call logic?

I'm walking away from this complete waste of time.
Call me J

Sapere aude

hismikeness

Jesus! Are you two married? That was epic! I enjoyed every second of that.

Hismikeness
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Typist

Ha, ha, good one Mikeness.  

Yes, J's just mad that I won't have his baby.  

But did somebody say something about Jesus?   I might have his baby I suppose.  

Nah, on second thought, I'm sticking with the Pink Unicorn, which I can prove exists.   Yea, that's it.

Ihateusernames

Not to defend typist, as he is being a rather bothersome cun... wait... swearing is bad here... oops, but in a way he is correct (just extremely misleading in his original statement.)

If, for the sake of argument, we define "working" as "causing some sort of benefit to the pray-ee" then yes prayer works, just as meditation, therapy, placebos, and any other sort of such thing "work" for the patient.  Heck a positive mental attitude "works" too. However, to say "prayer works" without being explicit in your attempted definition in the attempt to garner shock value is just rather pathetic.

Typist, you might think you are being clever by your "technically that's not exactly what i said, teehee!" type attempt at legal-worded-loop-hole-'gotcha' posts, but honestly, it really just lets your less than stellar intellect shine brightly through.

Just sayin...

-Ihateusernames

PS: I do want to congratulate you once again on fulfilling your worldview tag perfectly though.  Good work ignorant person!
To all the 'Golden Rule' moralists out there:

If a masochist follows the golden rule and harms you, are they being 'good'? ^_^

Kylyssa

People have but grease or butter on burns for thousands of years.  They keep doing it.  That doesn't mean it works (it doesn't, it makes things worse), it just means that people believe it works.

Typist

Quote from: "Ihateusernames"If, for the sake of argument, we define "working" as "causing some sort of benefit to the pray-ee" then yes prayer works, just as meditation, therapy, placebos, and any other sort of such thing "work" for the patient.  Heck a positive mental attitude "works" too.

Yes, it does.  And guess what?     Working is what the "patient" cares about, not the theist vs. atheist holy war and the tap dancing fancy talk we philosophy nerds find so fun.  

Religion has invented prayer and faith, something that billions of people have voluntarily taken in to their lives for a couple thousand years now.  

Billions of people.  Thousands of years.  

So I ask you my new friends, can you, or your science, put anything on the table with that documented record of popularity?   Can you?   Got anything in your high tech tool box that people like this much?    Let's see your evidence, eh?

You know, if I was a bothersome cunt, I might say, "Put up, or shut up" here.  But because I'm not a bothersome cunt, I won't say that.  Nope, just not gonna go there.  :-)   I prefer the title Professor Blowhard though.  

QuoteTypist, you might think you are being clever by your "technically that's not exactly what i said, teehee!" type attempt at legal-worded-loop-hole-'gotcha' posts, but honestly, it really just lets your less than stellar intellect shine brightly through.

When we run out of logic to use to address the post, why not change the topic to the poster, and see if that works???

Here's the real deal guys.  You are passionately attached to your definition of works, because it's the one you need to play the superior to theists game.  Let's tango!

pinkocommie

Don't feed the troll guys, that's all I'm saying.  If someone proves themselves disingenuous, conversation with that person will often become an exercise in futility.  At some point it's our fault for still reacting to what he says as if it's worth paying attention to.  Typist isn't looking for conversation, he's looking for a soapbox.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Ihateusernames

A guide to reading Typist.
read:
Quote from: "Ihateusernames"If, for the sake of argument, we define "working" as "causing some sort of benefit to the pray-ee" then yes prayer works, just as meditation, therapy, placebos, and any other sort of such thing "work" for the patient.  Heck a positive mental attitude "works" too.

Yes, it d...(now skip over to the next paragraph or two, as the words really arn't well put together or worth reading)

So I ask you my new friends, can you, or your science, put anything on the table with that documented record of popularity?  (Now answer one of his questions so he thinks you care)
  Umm... Eating? Breathing? Blinking? Heart beating? Nerve impulse firing? talking? sex? any biologic function? and oh so many more
You kno...(now skip again.. lalala...)

QuoteHowever, to say "prayer works" without being explicit in your attempted definition in the attempt to garner shock value is just rather pathetic.
(read the quoted portion of your own post, cus... well... you made it so... its gotta be good right?)

I'm a...(now skip again.. lalala...)

Ok, ok, so I AM a bothersome cunt, I admit it.  (notice Typist agreeing to a negitive statement about himself... annnd start skipping again) ...

QuoteTypist, you might think you are being clever by your "technically that's not exactly what i said, teehee!" type attempt at legal-worded-loop-hole-'gotcha' posts, but honestly, it really just lets your less than stellar intellect shine brightly through.
(read the quoted portion of your own post again, cus... well...  yet again you made it so... its gotta be good right?)

(and skip the rest, resting assure you have weeded out all the important portions of Typists posts, meaning: He admits he is a cunt, you answered one question so he thinks you care (and caring, even if it is pretend, is nice, afterall isn't it?), and you got yourself a post!)

-Ihateusernames

PS: Hope this helps everyone : )

PSS: I agree, dont feed the fire... however throwing a few tomatoes at it is always good fun!
To all the 'Golden Rule' moralists out there:

If a masochist follows the golden rule and harms you, are they being 'good'? ^_^