Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Having a bit of trouble here trying to get the "sun dogs" to show up on film. Those are the columns of light that shoot through cloud cover down to the ground. In this case there were three brilliant sun dogs streaming down from that cloud bank. I suspect that some digital trickery like HDR might be required but I'm not sure.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 16, 2018, 02:30:34 PM

Having a bit of trouble here trying to get the "sun dogs" to show up on film. Those are the columns of light that shoot through cloud cover down to the ground. In this case there were three brilliant sun dogs streaming down from that cloud bank. I suspect that some digital trickery like HDR might be required but I'm not sure.

I would say HDR is called for here. Even single-shot HDR should make a big difference, so you could try it, provided it is NEF file. I think you said before that you always shoot NEF anyway.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I'm a little confused - my thinking was that HDR required multiple shots at different exposure levels. You can do it with a single shot?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 16, 2018, 03:21:33 PM
I'm a little confused - my thinking was that HDR required multiple shots at different exposure levels. You can do it with a single shot?

Yes, because there is enough dynamic range in a RAW or NEF file to extract different "exposures", which are then combined in the orthodox HDR workflow. Programs like Aurora HDR can do it quite successfully. It cannot give the same results as three or more different shots, but it can be pretty good. I'll see whether I have any tutorials on it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Have any of you photo wizards experimented with UV light while reducing or modifying IR illumination?   Some surprising colors shifts take place. A pure white flower becomes blue or purple or other colors, depending on the chemical composition of the flower..................I reckon that our chem guy, Hermes, will know all about such things.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on October 16, 2018, 11:17:56 PM
Have any of you photo wizards experimented with UV light while reducing or modifying IR illumination?   Some surprising colors shifts take place. A pure white flower becomes blue or purple or other colors, depending on the chemical composition of the flower..................I reckon that our chem guy, Hermes, will know all about such things.

I have seen many examples of photography in the invisible parts of the spectrum, but have never done any myself. Another nice thing to do is play with a UV light and examine the fluorescent and phosphorescent effects of different minerals and other materials.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, HDR really does make a big difference! Nothing to share until I purchase a license for Photomatix but I like it. I really, really like it!

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on October 17, 2018, 09:45:00 PM
Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, HDR really does make a big difference! Nothing to share until I purchase a license for Photomatix but I like it. I really, really like it!

Well, that's the good reaction I was hoping to get from you and I feel like an evangelist that has saved a soul.. This is one of the benefits of shooting in RAW, and now you see why I have been advocating it all this time. Photomatix is considered the best tool, but recently its position has been challenged seriously by Aurora HDR, so before spending any money, also take a look at Aurora HDR. I want to warn, though, that it is very easy to create some really kitschy, eyeball-searing abominations with HDR software.

There is also some free HDR software out there, but I haven't found anything nearly as powerful as Photomatix and Aurora HDR.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Too late Hermes, I already blew my weekly tool budget on Photomatix. :) And, I might've created a few eyeball searing abominations already but the results really impressed me. Not perfect by any means but much more true to the eye than what came out of the camera.

I've noticed that the reds are brought out just a bit too much in the skies. Still need to do some tweaking I guess.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on October 18, 2018, 05:27:43 AM
Too late Hermes, I already blew my weekly tool budget on Photomatix. :) And, I might've created a few eyeball searing abominations already but the results really impressed me. Not perfect by any means but much more true to the eye than what came out of the camera.

I've noticed that the reds are brought out just a bit too much in the skies. Still need to do some tweaking I guess.
We need some before and after examples.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Of course, it is perfectly legitimate to produce over the top effects, provided it is what one intends to do. One man's abomination is another's art.
You did not make a mistake purchasing Photomatix; it is the industry standard. There are lots of colour and other tweaking options you can implement once you know the software well.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on October 18, 2018, 06:22:55 AM

It might be Sunday before I get somewhere that has sufficient Internet access again, but you'll have them.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 18, 2018, 06:39:40 AM

Of course, it is perfectly legitimate to produce over the top effects, provided it is what one intends to do. One man's abomination is another's art.
You did not make a mistake purchasing Photomatix; it is the industry standard. There are lots of colour and other tweaking options you can implement once you know the software well.

I'm sure there are lots of options. It's amazing just how much information is stored in an NEF file. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the difference it made in the cow photo.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on October 18, 2018, 01:30:13 PM
Quote from: Tank on October 18, 2018, 06:22:55 AM

It might be Sunday before I get somewhere that has sufficient Internet access again, but you'll have them.

:thumbsup:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.