News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Potential new alternative to vaccination?

Started by Dave, June 20, 2018, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

A US team has duscivered a way of permanently modifying pig genes to make them reject a major disease. Seems this modification makes no other difference to the pigs and transfers down the generations.

Early days yet, it seems that the pig products cannot yet be used as human food but this seems a technique with huge potential.

QuoteRoslin heralds gene-edited pigs resistant to major deadly disease
Roslin researchers have welcomed news that a research group in the United States using gene-editing techniques have developed the first pigs resistant to a devastating disease.

A team from the University of Missouri, in collaboration with global agricultural biotechnology company Genus plc, have successfully bred pigs that are resistant to Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS), which is a serious infectious disease of pigs.

The results provide proof-of-principle for ongoing research at The Roslin Institute that uses a similar approach to generate pigs that are resistant to PRRS and other infectious diseases. This research is part of a research collaboration with Genus plc to improve the wellbeing of livestock using genetic techniques.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/roslin/news-events/archive/2015/gene-edited-pigs-resistant-to-major-disease

Didn't find anything from closer to the source.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Somehow I don't think that this method will be seen by the anti-vax crowd as a viable option, should it ever become available for human use.

That write-up has a bit more information than the press release from the University of Missouri, which for instance doesn't mention that the CRISPR technique was used in modifying the genes of the pigs. I was able to find a PDF of the full paper:

"Gene-edited pigs are protected from porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus" | Nature Biotechnology

:secrets1: It's from 2015, though.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on June 22, 2018, 12:58:08 AM
Somehow I don't think that this method will be seen by the anti-vax crowd as a viable option, should it ever become available for human use.

That write-up has a bit more information than the press release from the University of Missouri, which for instance doesn't mention that the CRISPR technique was used in modifying the genes of the pigs. I was able to find a PDF of the full paper:

"Gene-edited pigs are protected from porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus" | Nature Biotechnology

:secrets1: It's from 2015, though.

Yes, I had the feeling that this was not wholly new stuff, maybe they needed some confirmation confidence.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74