News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 15, 2018, 05:29:40 PM
I'm taking up an interest in rapier fencing. Not sure why the rapier, my research indicates it's one of the most physically demanding weapons to learn due to its heavy blade and one handed use. Might be as good an excuse as any to get into shape.

Don't fancy the saber then?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

^^^ How does one take up fencing? Do you study online? With a teacher? Are there fencing clubs?
It sounds fun and kind of dramatic :whiteknight:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on February 15, 2018, 05:36:25 PM
I'm taking up an interest in rapier fencing. Not sure why the rapier, my research indicates it's one of the most physically demanding weapons to learn due to its heavy blade and one handed use. Might be as good an excuse as any to get into shape.

Not particularly, no. Rapier seems more historicalish. I think that's the word I'd use anyway. Too much modern sport fencing gets away from the fact that simply touching someone doesn't accomplish much if you're stabbed immediately after wards.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Dragonia on February 15, 2018, 05:56:50 PM
^^^ How does one take up fencing? Do you study online? With a teacher? Are there fencing clubs?

There are quite a few groups that practice such things. More prevalent in Europe though. HEMA (historical European matrial arts) has developed quite a following. I'm currently thumbing trough a book by a fellow called Gigante.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 15, 2018, 06:12:54 PM
Quote from: Dave on February 15, 2018, 05:36:25 PM

Not particularly, no. Rapier seems more historicalish. I think that's the word I'd use anyway. Too much modern sport fencing gets away from the fact that simply touching someone doesn't accomplish much if you're stabbed immediately after wards.

Yeah, I wstched a couple of videos, touch-stop-touch-stop . . I had a go in training in the RAF,  foil mainly, kept a fight going for a while before an opening sppeared, but we were novices.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 15, 2018, 06:14:27 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on February 15, 2018, 05:56:50 PM

There are quite a few groups that practice such things. More prevalent in Europe though. HEMA (historical European matrial arts) has developed quite a following. I'm currently thumbing trough a book by a fellow called Gigante.

Er, is that a typo for "martial" or "marital"? The latter could be interesting! Especially if it involves a guy called "Gigante"!

jumbojak

Hmmm... matrial. Could mean something to do with a female dominated society? I sometimes wonder what my phone means. Or thinks I mean.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 15, 2018, 06:45:27 PM
Hmmm... matrial. Could mean something to do with a female dominated society? I sometimes wonder what my phone means. Or thinks I mean.

Yeah, missed that connotation. But don't fancy women with big swords standing over me! Maybe there are guys for whom it would be poetic justice though?

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on February 15, 2018, 07:37:11 PM
Yeah, missed that connotation. But don't fancy women with big swords standing over me! Maybe there are guys for whom it would be poetic justice though?

Oh, I don't know.  I think strange women lying in ponds distributing swords just might be a good basis for a system of government, at least compared to what passes for one these days in some places....
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on February 15, 2018, 06:45:27 PM

Only the first 30 seconds are pertinent (couldn't find anything shorter)

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Sci-fi and fantasy are quite replete with females throwing males around, or outshooting them, these dsys - fsr more heroines than heroes out there. And almost exclusively by male authors . . . Star Wars is riding the trend somewhat.

I did offer the idea of investigating this trend to BBC's five-days-a-week "Woman's Hour' prog but got no response. There is possibly quite a large male population who fantasise about dominant, but fair, women. Since I am a fan of many of those stories I guess I qualify! I do remember fsncying Linda Lawless, in her role as Xena, but actually liked the persona of her buddy better.

However, when the book is closed or the end credits roll . . .

Davin

Quote from: Dave on February 16, 2018, 07:23:25 AMfsr more heroines than heroes out there.

You might want to do a recount on that. It's not even close to an even amount, let alone more women heroes then men.

The Justice League has Wonder Woman then five men.
X-Men: Days of Future past had 17 heroes, 5 of which were women.
The upcoming Avengers: Infinity Wars  looks like 29 heroes, 5 of them women.
On Netflix, there's Dare Devil, Electra, Punisher, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist.
Total: 13 women, 45 men.

You'll also find fewer non-team movies starring female heroes than there are starring male heroes. Also the ratio doesn't get better if one includes the rest, and changes in favor of men if we go back farther.

While I will agree that are more women in super hero roles than there used to be, it's pretty clear that there is still a long way to go before there are equal amounts, let alone more women than men.

Quote from: DaveThere is possibly quite a large male population who fantasise about dominant, but fair, women.
Could it not be possible that there is a growing population of women who fantasize the same way men have about super heroes? Or maybe women just like to see more women represented on screen.

http://womenandhollywood.com/resources/statistics/2016-statistics/
QuoteFemales comprised 29% of all sole protagonists, 37% of major characters, and 32% of speaking characters.

For the record, when I talked with Asmo about this before, I also linked to the statistics that showed that there were an about equal ratio of female to male actors, just fewer roles for women.

It's odd how many think women are taking over things, when they still have minority representation. It's like any increase at all in female representation results in some men to over exaggerate women's overall representation. Like how one heroine to every four heroes makes some think that there are more heroines than heroes.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Fair does,

I was going by what I see in books on Amazon. I don't bother with much of the video/film stuff, pferer the written word and the pictures in my mibd.

Though, I have to admit, I did not take the targetting algorithms into account, that could buas what I see iffered!

xSilverPhinx

I suddenly really want to play Minecraft.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Bluenose on February 15, 2018, 10:42:44 PM

Oh, I don't know.  I think strange women lying in ponds distributing swords just might be a good basis for a system of government, at least compared to what passes for one these days in some places....

Certainly beats what we've got going in the US now.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany