News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 30, 2017, 07:24:57 PM
....... It's sort of like curling up on the couch or in your favorite chair when the weather outside is gloomy, and the house is dark and quite...you pull a blanket or afghan tight around you, and stare out the window, or get lost in a book, and in the background is some warm, yet sentimental music playing along with your mood.

Leonard Cohen?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 31, 2017, 04:14:21 AM
Quote from: Father Bruno on October 30, 2017, 07:24:57 PM
....... It's sort of like curling up on the couch or in your favorite chair when the weather outside is gloomy, and the house is dark and quite...you pull a blanket or afghan tight around you, and stare out the window, or get lost in a book, and in the background is some warm, yet sentimental music playing along with your mood.

Leonard Cohen?

Oh yes, Leonard Cohen, his music and especially his lyrics and poetry match that description perfectly.

Hermes -I had the pleasure of seeing Leonard Cohen the last time he was in Detroit, which was about 5 years ago...show was at the Fox Theatre, and my wife and I had first row seats in the balcony, and it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.

I've always been a big fan of his, yet had never caught one of his shows and I'm so happy that I was able to see the man perform before his passing. I believe it was called the "Old Ideas World Tour".

As soon as tickets became available I bought them, gave them to my wife and told her that she could give these to me for my birthday...she's not a big Cohen fan so I had to take her out for dinner before the show, she simply refers to him as "The Old Man"

After my mother passed away, and when I was going through a bit of rough times I found some solace in his song, "The night comes on"....especially this line, "I wanted the night to go on and on....But she said, go back, go back to the world".

Lyrics
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I think this song is my favorite of his, and what a superb duet, simply beautiful.

Lyrics
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

This part is both erotic and sorrowful at the same time.

And I'll dance with you in Vienna
I'll be wearing a river's disguise
The hyacinth wild on my shoulder,
My mouth on the dew of your thighs
And I'll bury my soul in a scrapbook,
With the photographs there, and the moss
And I'll yield to the flood of your beauty
My cheap violin and my cross
And you'll carry me down on your dancing
To the pools that you lift on your wrist
Oh my love, Oh my love
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 31, 2017, 07:39:34 PM
Hermes -I had the pleasure of seeing Leonard Cohen the last time he was in Detroit, which was about 5 years ago...show was at the Fox Theatre, and my wife and I had first row seats in the balcony, and it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.

Father, I would have loved to see him perform. What a memory.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

down to zero

love and affection

show some emotion

Back in the day I went along with some friends to see a surf movie at the opera house.  I remember Down to Zero and slow mo' barrels. 

I didn't become a Joan adherent, I was open but she seemed to be mostly ordinary.
These three songs though, 9,10, 11 on an album, pretty sweet I think.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

I've been a fan and admirer of the pianist George Winston since I was in my late teens, and have listened to him consistently since that time...few things in life never change, whether for good or bad, but his music always brings peace, relaxation.

We had family get together over the weekend, and after we had dinner we were all sitting around talking and I put this album on and for a short time the room got quite as everyone recognize the melody, and then my oldest sister looked over at me and gave me a smile and nod of her head. It was her who introduced me to the music so long ago and the beauty of it is something we've shared over the years.

I highly recommend adding this entire album to your collection...

This is the full album.

One of my favorites, and I play this on the guitar is, "Variations on the Kanon" (Track 9)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

I found this music video.
I like it, I'm sure some of you will hate it.
It might not be appropriate for those with a weak constitution.
Here it is:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

^ Weren't they in the movie 'Chappie'? Or am I confusing them with another couple? :notsure:

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 08, 2017, 07:44:44 PM
^ Weren't they in the movie 'Chappie'? Or am I confusing them with another couple? :notsure:
That was them.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 08, 2017, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 08, 2017, 07:44:44 PM
That was them.

Cool.  8)

Icarus

Mags, That was a seriously weird video.  Have you been into the sauce in a serious way?

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.