News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Does Anybody Here Remember...

Started by Bad Penny II, June 20, 2018, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on June 21, 2018, 04:39:49 PM
Round here rabbits is timid.  Maybe that's why they run so fast?

Rabbits are wary where ever they are because everyone wants to eat them.

Oh ye we went at like rabbits.

Timidity is more a human thing than a Rabbity one.

Don't besmirch the rabbit.

I don't know why I'm not wearing that jumper now, natural fibres, not these synthetic things that shed a little every wash, adding to the plastic soup.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

QuoteRabbits are wary . . .

I stand corrected there, Bad Penny :not worthy:

Quote. . . because everyone wants to eat them.

True.

:let'seat:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

BTW, back to the silent cop thing for a moment, this is the sort I remember most, not that soft version you posted, Bad Penny (LOL).  Much more fun with the sidewall of your tyres...

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

We have "traffic calming" feature in some of our streets, particularly in residential areas.  Something like "pillows" but more effective.  There are humps that run across the entire road or street. Most of them are about six inches ( 15 cm) high in the middle.  There is no getting around or straddling them. They work quite nicely. Hitting one of those things at more than 15 or 20 MPH will cause one to reconsider his driving habits, even teen aged testosterone crazed maniac drivers know the drill.  Slow down or end up in the trees.

Then of course there is the motorcycle cop with his radar gun who from time to time parks his bike under a huge oak tree next to my house.  I live on a busy cross street that is long enough and smooth  enough to encourage dipshit drivers to speed.  The cops are fair. They bust speeders as needed. and not for marginal infractions.  I sometimes offer the cop a can of soda and they invariably thank me but decline even though they might like the beverage.  No bribes allowed. Not even a can of soda pop.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 22, 2018, 11:31:31 PM
We have "traffic calming" feature in some of our streets, particularly in residential areas.  Something like "pillows" but more effective.  There are humps that run across the entire road or street. Most of them are about six inches ( 15 cm) high in the middle.  There is no getting around or straddling them. They work quite nicely. Hitting one of those things at more than 15 or 20 MPH will cause one to reconsider his driving habits, even teen aged testosterone crazed maniac drivers know the drill.  Slow down or end up in the trees.

Then of course there is the motorcycle cop with his radar gun who from time to time parks his bike under a huge oak tree next to my house.  I live on a busy cross street that is long enough and smooth  enough to encourage dipshit drivers to speed.  The cops are fair. They bust speeders as needed. and not for marginal infractions.  I sometimes offer the cop a can of soda and they invariably thank me but decline even though they might like the beverage.  No bribes allowed. Not even a can of soda pop.

We have the road wide bumps in some places as well, usually in shopping estates and car parks with a 10 or 20mph limit. Thing is here that the local authority, or landbowner on private roads with public access, is respondible for any damage done to a low slung vehicle crossing a "too high" bump at or below the posted speed limit. The limit seems to be about 4". One narrow local private road has bumps on alternate sides. Above about 15mph the rocking of the car is quite annoying but does no damage.

xSilverPhinx

Rabbits can be ferocious. Does anyone remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2018, 05:11:00 PM

I don't know why I'm not wearing that jumper now, natural fibres, not these synthetic things that shed a little every wash, adding to the plastic soup.

Such cute rabbits!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 23, 2018, 02:24:22 PM
Rabbits can be ferocious. Does anyone remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 21, 2018, 05:11:00 PM

Such cute rabbits!
My sister had a big white buck rabbit that had the run of the whole garden, and popped indoors through the cat flap when Rose was peeling and chopping veg.

She discovered that this rabbit had a colour prejudice. Two chaps came to work on the back garden wall (to stop the kids falling into a stream), one was black. The rabbit chased him all round the garden, nipping at the back of his trousers and boots! Bunny got hutched and placated with a carrot. The chap thought it was a great laugh.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 23, 2018, 02:24:22 PM
Does anyone remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Yes I remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I also remember the holy hand grenade of Antioch.  >:(

Does Anybody Here Remember how to make pumpkin seed palatable?

I had a couple of goes with small pumpkin seeds, results were kinda nyeerrr
I did what the internet told me to do to some larger seeds, boil, salt bake.
They are rather chewy, not entirely unpleasant.
Are they doing me good or is it wasted mastication?
If you weren't eating them you'd probably be nibbling a grain wave, or attempting to nibble out a fish shape from a round sour cream and chives rice cake.

xSilverPhinx

Are pumpkin seeds even digestible? :notsure: Unless of course the whole point of swallowing them is because they're not... ;D

xSilverPhinx

Does anybody here remember some weird belief they had when they were a kid? I remember when I was growing up I was afraid to eat seeds because I believed they would grow inside me and eventually explode a hole in my belly like a baby xenomorph from the Alien series...

I had a very, erm, fertile imagination back in the day.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 23, 2018, 04:01:39 PM
Are pumpkin seeds even digestible? :notsure: Unless of course the whole point of swallowing them is because they're not... ;D

QuoteHeart and liver health. Pumpkin seeds are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. This combination has benefits for both the heart and liver. The fiber in pumpkin seeds helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease.

QuoteBy Dr. Mercola

If you're in the mood for a chewy snack that doubles as a phenomenal health food, look no further than pumpkin seeds.

With a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein and zinc, pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses wrapped up in a very small package. They also contain plant compounds known as phytosterols and free-radical scavenging antioxidants,1 which can give your health an added boost.

Because these are high-fiber seeds, they're able to boost your fiber intake, helping you reach the ideal amount of 50 grams per 1,000 calories consumed.

Are you going to doubt Dr. Mercola Phinx?

Dave

Aw, pumpkin seeds are great in a breakfast mix, crunchy chewy, full of potassium, magnesium, iron, fibre, healthy oils.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Icarus

Some sunflower seed are also edible and taste good too.  The ones that are black with white stripes are preferred.   Birds are crazy for them.  They know how to crack them open to get at the nutty internal part.  Cardinals are particularly adept at cracking those shells.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on June 23, 2018, 04:13:41 PM

QuoteHeart and liver health. Pumpkin seeds are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, antioxidants, and fiber. This combination has benefits for both the heart and liver. The fiber in pumpkin seeds helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease.

QuoteBy Dr. Mercola

If you're in the mood for a chewy snack that doubles as a phenomenal health food, look no further than pumpkin seeds.

With a wide variety of nutrients ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein and zinc, pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses wrapped up in a very small package. They also contain plant compounds known as phytosterols and free-radical scavenging antioxidants,1 which can give your health an added boost.

Because these are high-fiber seeds, they're able to boost your fiber intake, helping you reach the ideal amount of 50 grams per 1,000 calories consumed.

Are you going to doubt Dr. Mercola Phinx?

Um...no? :worried:

;D

Ok, so they're partially digestible. Still, they're high-fiber which means they're not that digestible. So yeah.   :P