Author Topic: HAf Book Club: What Nietzsche Really Said discussion  (Read 48 times)

BooksCatsEtc

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
HAf Book Club: What Nietzsche Really Said discussion
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
As usual Davin is our prize reader, finished before the rest of us.  I think I've been sewing too much to keep up with my reading properly.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
Re: HAf Book Club: What Nietzsche Really Said discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
As usual Davin is our prize reader, finished before the rest of us.  I think I've been sewing too much to keep up with my reading properly.

Yeah, Davin is making the rest of us look bad...we should do something about him. ::)
Every taco is hand rolled with exotic Mexican spices by genuine Mayan Virgins.
Or. Carlos, depending on who's available.

I really, really hate anti-semantics.

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »

Yeah, Davin is making the rest of us look bad...we should do something about him. ::)

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

• Guardian of Reason
  • (o°-°)=o o(o*-°)
    • DevPirates
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
For the writing style, I thought it was fine. Didn't dawdle too much.

I've never read anything more than excerpts of Nietzsche, so I can't speak for how accurate I think the descriptions of his writings are.

I didn't have any preconceived ideas about Nietzsche, so the first bit wasn't very useful to me. Though reading some of them, I don't see how the author dismissed the myth. Sometimes, the author seemed to confirm the myth. Seemed odd to me. Could be that the author was playing head games like the author said that Nietzsche did, then I don't care for them.

The rest seemed fine, but I kept getting the feeling that the author was smoothing over the rough reality to make Nietzsche seem more... I don't know, more of some kind of guru trying to awaken the minds of his readers than what he seemed to be, which was a guy that liked to think about things through different approaches than normal which lead to many contradictions because thinking different was more important than consistency of thought (Nietzsche is even quoted as saying something to that effect). The latter is the impression I get of Nietzsche in spite of what seemed to be the author's intent.

It was a good read, but I feel like either the author was playing some games or was intentionally trying to smooth over Nietzsche's character.

Now what the book did to me. I was moderately interested in reading Nietzsche, but after the book I'm very much dissuaded. If even part of what the author said about his writing is true, even the seemingly praised bits, I have no interest in reading Nietzsche. Just the quips about science and a supposed "scientism" annoys me enough to avoid it all. And the author seemed to share the inaccurate views on science. It's more understandable for Nietzsche than it is for the author.

So I'm probably not going to read anything by Nietzsche. Maybe one in a while.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:51:29 PM by Davin »

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

BooksCatsEtc

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:27:27 AM »
I'm halfway thru the first chapter and have to admit I'm disappointed by the lack of what Nietzsche really said in this book.  I've also skimmed thru it and can't find any more than a few quotes.  It feels like my old Sunday School Bible Study, with the pre-digested paraphrasing of biblical stories, and instructions on what they really mean, rather than the bible verses themselves.

Perhaps this book is only meant to whet the reader's appetite, and prepare them to read Nietzsche with a positive bias?  It does make me curious to get into one of Nietzsche's books, but from which point in his life?  According to the author, Nietzsche's philosophy changed yearly.  Altho he poo poos the idea, to me this does seem an indication of Nietzsche's on-coming insanity. 

I did get a bit of a laugh over the author's complaint about people making ad hominem attacks on Nietzsche, when he'd earlier praised Nietzsche's own use of the same as part of his approach to philosophy.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver