News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Talk About Star Wars With All the Spoilers You Want

Started by Pasta Chick, December 19, 2015, 03:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Ok so I watched The Last Jedi yesterday. Long film and not so bad in my opinion. I was left with the strong impression while watching it that they're stretching it across multiple films to milk the franchise, but I guess when you have a cash cow like that then why on Earth would you kill it?  I just wish that it hadn't been so attention-grabbing, like an unpleasant aftertaste...

Anyway, 

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT!
You have been warned. :this:

First of all, I'll say that I enjoyed this movie, even if it felt like the plot didn't advance very much, with both the First Order (or will it be called something like Ren's Order now? :notsure:) and depleted Resistance have both survived to appear in another film and battle it out again. And again.

Speaking of again, this film has been about renewal, with a new generation of freedom fighters (Poe, Rey and Finn?) and representative of the dark side, Kylo Ren taking the lead. Leia was not killed of in this movie yet, but seemed to be willing to hand leadership over to Poe when he suggested they follow him to find an alternative way out of the salt cave. Since Carrie Fischer has passed they will probably kill off her character as well. Or something.

Luke is gone, but will probably be haunting Kylo Ren in the coming films.

The ultimate baddie of this and previous film, Snoke, is unimpressive. I felt like we needed some more backstory to how he came to power in the movies. Perhaps they go into it in books and video games and if so, I think the average movie-going but not diehard fan was possibly alienated. Who the hell was he? 

I'm a little disappointed that Rey's parents have no larger part in the story. If what Ren said was true, they sold her off for drinking money when she was little. It would have been interesting if she didn't have parents, and was some sort of physical manifestation of the Force (much like fatherless Anakin was?), brought to fulfill a prophecy and bring balance...again. I need someone to explain how she's so sensitive to the Force with Star Wars universe plausibility!   :no idea:

Anyway, I feel there were a lot of loose ends, which is to be expected in the second movie of a trilogy, but I really hope they start tying them in the next.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

I'm still mulling a lot of things over.

I totally agree about Snoke. Especially after they built up such a "who is Snoke" mystery after VII. It is well established that Sith apprentices kill their masters as they come to full power, but there could have been so much more story around him.

I'm sad about their treatment Leia. With Carrie Fisher being dead we know that story line can't continue forever, but they kinda set her up to carry the Resistance moving forward. Thats the storyline I wanted to see, but Fisher is dead. I dont want to see her as a CGI hologram in the next 3 movies. Meanwhile I feel like they just teased her death over and over.

Guardian85

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2017, 01:03:17 PM

I'm a little disappointed that Rey's parents have no larger part in the story. If what Ren said was true, they sold her off for drinking money when she was little. It would have been interesting if she didn't have parents, and was some sort of physical manifestation of the Force (much like fatherless Anakin was?), brought to fulfill a prophecy and bring balance...again. I need someone to explain how she's so sensitive to the Force with Star Wars universe plausibility!   :no idea:
Throwing my 0.02$ in on this subject, I call bullshit on Kylo's claim that they were nobody. If we recall the force vision Ray had in Episode 7, where a young Ray is yelling at a ship while it's leaving, this does not match up with Kylo's story.
My personal pet theory regarding Ray's parentage would be something along the way of her being the offspring of one or more of Luke's original students. This would explain why she has such an aptitude for the Force, and why she was hidden away on Jakku after the purge.
Plus it would make for an interesting conversation between Ray and the Force Ghost of Luke. Because we know we haven't seen the last of him.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Guardian85 on December 16, 2017, 11:24:26 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 16, 2017, 01:03:17 PM

Throwing my 0.02$ in on this subject, I call bullshit on Kylo's claim that they were nobody. If we recall the force vision Ray had in Episode 7, where a young Ray is yelling at a ship while it's leaving, this does not match up with Kylo's story.
My personal pet theory regarding Ray's parentage would be something along the way of her being the offspring of one or more of Luke's original students. This would explain why she has such an aptitude for the Force, and why she was hidden away on Jakku after the purge.
Plus it would make for an interesting conversation between Ray and the Force Ghost of Luke. Because we know we haven't seen the last of him.

Yeah, I'm starting to remember that scene with the ship now.  :chin:

Perhaps the vision Kylo Ren had was given to him by Snoke for some reason (he said he was responsible for connecting their minds), though what that reason could be eludes me. Rey went into the dark hole looking for answers about her parents, giving someone a vision with an answer seems a little counter-productive if you want to bring someone to the dark side of the force. I didn't notice any indication that Rey knew the answer was fabricated.

xSilverPhinx

I've been thinking about the whole balance theme in this movie, and how Rey's 'light' balances out Kylo's 'dark' side of the force. If Kylo is destroyed, perhaps Rey will be too? :notsure:

Davin

Overall, I liked the movie. though it felt like it was three separate movies combined into one. And not the "three different things going on at the same time" kind of three movies in one. It felt like it was a trilogy in itself.

Snoke might get his own movie, that would be cool.

I hope that the next movie is set several years after, like maybe a decade or so. That way both Ren and Rey have time to develop and the resistance can build itself back up too.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 17, 2017, 10:28:13 PM
I've been thinking about the whole balance theme in this movie, and how Rey's 'light' balances out Kylo's 'dark' side of the force. If Kylo is destroyed, perhaps Rey will be too? :notsure:
Doesn't need to be destroyed, she just needs to no do things to unbalance things. The dark side obviously can't be trusted to not unbalance things in their favor, but a good Jedi would be able to keep things balanced.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on December 18, 2017, 02:34:25 PM
Snoke might get his own movie, that would be cool.

I agree. I think Snoke needs his own movie at this point.  ;D

QuoteDoesn't need to be destroyed, she just needs to no do things to unbalance things. The dark side obviously can't be trusted to not unbalance things in their favor, but a good Jedi would be able to keep things balanced.

But is she a good Jedi? :notsure: She may be a natural Force-weilder, but she did go down that dark hole looking for answers. Was it a moment of weakness on her part though? I don't know. Probably too early to tell. She does need further development. :smilenod: 

Davin

Confronting the Dark Side is something that Luke did as well. It's apparently part of the training.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Daughter and son-in-law are visiting for the holiday's this weekend so hopefully we all get to see the movie...I was going to go with my son last weekend, but my daughter said she wants to see it with me so I have to wait longer damnit!

Anyway I honestly think the Star Wars saga is just a story of three generations of people bullying C3PO ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 21, 2017, 10:01:47 PM
Anyway I honestly think the Star Wars saga is just a story of three generations of people bullying C3PO ::)

They should be bullying Jar Jar instead, but thank Lucas he's long gone.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 10:06:05 PM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 21, 2017, 10:01:47 PM

They should be bullying Jar Jar instead, but thank Lucas he's long gone.

And the cute little Ewoks. :P
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on December 21, 2017, 04:50:11 PM
Confronting the Dark Side is something that Luke did as well. It's apparently part of the training.

:scratch: I need to watch the original trilogy again.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 11:37:24 PM

Evil Cave

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on December 22, 2017, 02:43:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 21, 2017, 11:37:24 PM

Evil Cave

Thanks  :thumbsup:

xSilverPhinx