Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Religion / Re: Experiences with Evangelical Christians?
« Last post by No one on Today at 09:37:31 AM »
I've got a pocket full of evangelical kryptonite. So I'm basically immune.
« Last post by BooksCatsEtc on Today at 09:25:52 AM »
Otherwise its just the usual shouty people we get on street corners in the town centre.

Ours sings rather than shouts, which is nice because he's got a good voice.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 08:34:25 AM »
My experience was a total nutter preaching at me, personally, at the top of her voice in the charity shop I was helping in. I had to resort to picking up the phone and dialling the police to convince her I had no interest in joining her "lord".

I did not actually press the third digit but "acted out" the call. I saw her talking, animatedly, to one of the cathedral officials a couple of days later. He just looked, sort of, patient.

Otherwise its just the usual shouty people we get on street corners in the town centre.
It's just a sick joke that he is in a position of power.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Velma on Today at 07:53:13 AM »
The weather here in the St. Louis, Missouri area was wonderful Friday. The high was 73 F. Highly unusual for this time of year. Saturday will be a bit cooler with a high of 59 F, but still warm for this time of year.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Velma on Today at 07:50:35 AM »
Hmmmph!  I agree that far too many the US drivers are nutters.  The Brit drivers are even more confused because they insist that they must drive on the wrong side of the road.

It's one of the things that makes me not miss having a car.  Does anybody check their mirrors before changing lanes these days?
I don't think so. My husband and I seem to have a least one near miss every time we get on the highway. If it is not some idiot on their phone, it's another idiot who is so intent on getting ahead of everyone else that he finds himself in the far left lane right before his exit and makes a mad swoop through traffic so he doesn't miss it.

And don't get me started on the tailgaters! I'm keeping up with traffic. If you are in such an all fired hurry, move over to the fast lane!
Funny thing is I posted this topic way before anyone new about his fondness for young girls!  Hopefully the issue will bring him down.  But who knows it is Alabama
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Should we talk about the weather?
« Last post by Harmonie on Today at 04:01:22 AM »
It nearly got up 80 today. *sigh*

Sighing is all I can do at this point anymore.

Michigan is nice, and I love the four seasons, especially fall and winter, but I get crazy when the two get mixed up together. You wake up and it's 50 degrees outside, and later that night you are shoveling a foot of snow. ::)

I live just 30 minutes outside Ann Arbor, where the U of M campus is. Very nice city. My sister lives there, and we spend a lot of time there, especially during the summer months as it is a great place to walk and bike. Lots of good restaurants, bars, coffee shops and bookstores.

It's a bit crazy when there is a football game going on though...but fun.

You would be driven quite thoroughly crazy in Oklahoma. I have seen it get up into the 80s during the day and snow that night. I have also seen the Western part of the state go from 90 degrees to ice storm conditions in under 48 hours.

Anyway, all of my jealousy. U of M holds a special place for me for reasons that would be very off-topic here.
Religion / Experiences with Evangelical Christians?
« Last post by SisterAgatha on Today at 03:48:31 AM »
What is your experience with Evangelical Christians?

Are any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

I am not so sure about them.

Apart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

Plus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Please let me know
Current Events / Re: Video of NK soldier defecting
« Last post by BooksCatsEtc on Today at 12:39:48 AM »
I hope there's no chance (like some political nonsense) that he could be sent back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10