News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 23, 2016, 11:26:43 PM
Got the car back yesterday. It runs now, but cost a fair bit to fix. And apparently it has some other problems that will eventually need fixing.
Think I'm going to reach out to my old High School. See if their auto mechanic class want to use it for a class project.

You mean would just donate it to the school?

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 23, 2016, 10:10:52 PM
So far no, which in fact makes me quite grumpy. I don't want to shut the state down or cause anyone harm, but I'd really like a decent amount of snow. I've been playing this dangerous game of "too much ice and snow to bike, not enough snow to sled" and it's getting really old.

Apparently there's a high pressure polar front pushing down over us which is why the storm is hovering over DC.

You getting anything?

No same boat here, in fact we've hardly had any snowfall...only used the snow shovel twice. I've done some biking as well, in fact heading out tomorrow morning for a ride since it's at cold and the trails are hard, but we're getting nothing at all from this storm.

Today it was sunny skies, temperature right around 30F, with only a 15% chance of precipitation between now and Thursday so I took my car in and had it washed.

If I want any snow accumulation I have to head north, which I plan to do in about 3-4 weeks.

It's been a brown winter.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Guardian85

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 24, 2016, 03:01:50 AM
Got the car back yesterday. It runs now, but cost a fair bit to fix. And apparently it has some other problems that will eventually need fixing.
Think I'm going to reach out to my old High School. See if their auto mechanic class want to use it for a class project.

No. They let their senior students take repair jobs as a way to get experience. Kinda like getting your hair cut by an apprentice.
There are quite a few annoying little gremlins residing in my automobile. I wish to convince them to make a project out of driving them out.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Guardian85 on January 24, 2016, 03:11:04 AM

No. They let their senior students take repair jobs as a way to get experience. Kinda like getting your hair cut by an apprentice.
There are quite a few annoying little gremlins residing in my automobile. I wish to convince them to make a project out of driving them out.

So free labour, you only have to pay for the parts?

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Velma on January 24, 2016, 01:33:22 AM
I am officially running a fever.

Sorry Velma, I didn't notice this earlier and posted over it. Hope it's nothing too serious...take care.

Velma

It appears I have some sort of upper respiratory bug - fever, cough, congestion. Shortly after the post about the fever, I went to bed. I've not managed to sleep more than a hour or so at a time. Some nighttime cold medicine helped with the symptoms, but I still feel yucky.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on January 24, 2016, 03:30:45 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on January 24, 2016, 03:11:04 AM

So free labour, you only have to pay for the parts?
Not free, but only one fifth of the cost of taking it to a garage.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Velma

Feeling better - just in time to go back to work. :(
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Firebird

I tweaked something in my neck or back 2 days ago and am still having trouble turning my head. Not sure how it happened, just started hurting while walking to the bus. Been alternating between hot and cold pads, taking lots of Advil, and resting. It's better but still stiff, and I have to rely on my wife to help pull me to my feet in the morning.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Buddy

Quote from: Firebird on January 28, 2016, 03:13:57 PM
I tweaked something in my neck or back 2 days ago and am still having trouble turning my head. Not sure how it happened, just started hurting while walking to the bus. Been alternating between hot and cold pads, taking lots of Advil, and resting. It's better but still stiff, and I have to rely on my wife to help pull me to my feet in the morning.

That's not good. Could it be a knot?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

Quote from: Firebird on January 28, 2016, 03:13:57 PM

Sounds like posture strain. If you have been watching TV, Playing computer games, reading, sleeping, using a computer in an odd position it is the most likely cause and super common, this could either be a knot like Bud suggests or could be torticollis. Stress related ones usually result in headaches that verge on nausea. Knots are easy to get rid of and easy to find, lightly probe your neck to find tender spots also work down that muscle to see if there are any more then light massage them all out. Also do a quick search on neck and back pressure points and apply some pressure to those areas, they wont get rid of the pain but will alleviate it. Take ibuprofen as well.
Retired member.

Firebird

Yeah, likely a knot, I think in my back.  I am feeling better today. I do spend most of my time in front of a computer, so I wouldn't be surprised if that caused it.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

jumbojak

Time for a new thermostat. I really don't feel like draining the coolant so I may try a trick where you blow the coolant into the overflow tank with an air compressor. This could result in an epic mess if it doesn't work.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Work load. It's picking up again.  >:(

The Asmo is actually pleased with that, but also displeased because nothing but ratties *really* pleases The Asmo.  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.