News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

My dog has severe hip dysplasia and can barely walk. Today people were setting off fireworks almost nonstop, and the noise really stresses her out. She pooped in the kitchen...twice.  ::)

:foottap:

I can't stay angry at her though. She's mastered the puppy dog look.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

xSP I am so sorry that your canine friend is dysplastic. That is a bummer. I had an Irish Setter girl that was my best friend in the whole world. She was cursed with displaysia.  The vet said that we could try an operation on the hip joint that might work. I said lets try it, it is better than the last resort of having to put her down. The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Molly, Lived for ten more years and was my best friend and she could run with the best of them. There was a lot of physical therapy in the interim. She also became an obedience credentialed dog with a fine reputation for superior performances in the ring. Irish setters are not famous for that sort of thing but molly was. That was many years ago and I still have some tears for having lost such a dedicated friend.

I do hope that there are some possibilities for your dog. 

xSilverPhinx

Icarus, looks like a fine friend you had. Irish Setters are also such beautiful dogs.

As for mine, the vet was rather fatalistic about the progression and said there wasn't much I could do, and that it's too late. Thing is, my dog went to walking fine to having an incredibly unstable gait in a matter of days. She swerves her hind legs when she walks, and falls often. It wasn't something that was progressing slowly that I could catch it early and do something about it. She'll eventually not be able to walk again, the vet said. To add to that, she has also developed arthritis, which is what I've been giving her medications for.

I'm going to have to get a second opinion on what to do because my two main concerns are that she is in pain and that that she'll eventually never walk again. She's a German Shepard weighing slightly more than 30 kilos, so it's not like I'm going to be able to carry her here and there. I have seen small dogs using a sort of wheelchair for their hind legs, maybe I could get one for her.

My mother mentioned trying acupuncture (yes, believe it or not, there is acupuncture for canines). I'm extremely skeptical it would have some long term effect but at this point I'll try anything.

I really, really hope I don't have to make a certain decision in the near future. And now I'm fighting back tears again...     

Icarus

xSP, German Shepherds have a high incidence of dysplastic problems as I am sure that you are aware. They are magnificent creatures that do not deserve that fate. 

You may have to do what you have to do.  I promise you that I will feel your pain and shed some honest tears on your and your dogs behalf. That will not be much comfort to you, but do know that there are those of us who care.

OldGit

Commiserations!  I've had to do it very recently, as you may recall.  It always hurts. :'(

xSilverPhinx

Thank you for your empathy and words, Icarus. They are comforting as I mentally prepare for the dreaded possibility.

I remember, OldGit. And yes it does. When I was a teenager we had our dog put down and it wasn't easy. :(   

Siz

Feeling truly rotten today - cold, sore throat, shivers. Guess I can't handle the pace! Luckily after today I'm office-bound until after xmas, so it's tea, internet and music all day... and maybe draw some lines on my screen.

Note to self: Don't stay up past the hour you'd normally be waking up. Duh!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Buddy

Quote from: Siz on November 24, 2015, 07:05:51 PM
Feeling truly rotten today - cold, sore throat, shivers. Guess I can't handle the pace! Luckily after today I'm office-bound until after xmas, so it's tea, internet and music all day... and maybe draw some lines on my screen.

Note to self: Don't stay up past the hour you'd normally be waking up. Duh!

Aww hope you feel better soon.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

MariaEvri

after 2 good rainy seasons, looks like this year cyprus will have a drought. :(
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

OldGit

The relevant deity is Jupiter Pluvius if yo want to get in touch.

Buddy

My current university is trying to charge me 500 dollars to move out at the end of the semester. What the fuck is wrong with these people.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

I don't know what's wrong with then other then that they are assholes.

I, on the other hand, am sitting in a mostly empty apartment. All the furniture has been sold or given to charity, and most of my stuff is loaded into the back of the van. Got to finish loading and cleaning the apartment tomorrow morning, and then drive to Bergen to catch a boat north.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Well, my application for cancelling my housing was denied and they are making me pay 6 thousand dollars on an apartment that I will not be living in.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 01, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
Well, my application for cancelling my housing was denied and they are making me pay 6 thousand dollars on an apartment that I will not be living in.
What a bunch of f***ing bastards!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.