News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

According to Dredge: Abiogenesis is Magic

Started by Dredge, December 30, 2016, 05:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on February 01, 2017, 05:04:30 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on January 28, 2017, 08:06:20 AM
In the case of the Universe, life or human eye, for that matter, they sort-of only appear designed to those without the knowledge or understanding of their workings.
Huh?  The more I learn about how organisms and their organs and cells work, the more I'm convinced they're designed.

They're designed by natural processes, which makes it all the more wonderous.

You're projecting agency, which is perfectly natural, so don't feel bad about that. ;) Thinking is more difficult. There's a good evolutionary explanation for why humans do that.   
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Famous example of unintelligent design: the laryngeal nerve in animals with necks. Here they take the longest neck in the animal kingdom to demonstrate just how unintelligent a designer with foresight would be. 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 01, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
Famous example of unintelligent design: the laryngeal nerve in animals with necks. Here they take the longest neck in the animal kingdom to demonstrate just how unintelligent a designer with foresight would be. 

Excellent, good link xSP!

Perhaps Big G was a designer, just not intelligent? Met some of those in the engineering industry.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 01, 2017, 09:33:00 PM
Perhaps Big G was a designer, just not intelligent? Met some of those in the engineering industry.

Could be, though that's not what his minions say.  ;) 

Recusant

Human beings are walking, talking examples of unintelligent design. There's the commonly cited "Who in their right mind puts a playground next to a sewage plant?" but it goes well beyond that. The linked article lists ten, but there are more, and even some of the examples given don't actually elucidate all the problems in the area discussed. The Wikipedia article on the dysteleological argument gives a few more.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 01, 2017, 09:42:50 PM

Tsk, what do they know about anything?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on February 01, 2017, 09:52:50 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 01, 2017, 09:42:50 PM

Tsk, what do they know about anything?

According to them, basically everything. :lol:

xSilverPhinx

I found an example of intelligent design!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Dredge

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 31, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 31, 2017, 12:05:31 AMSpeciation is repeatedly observed and confirmed?

Yes.
Can you cite an example of speciation, please?

Do yourself a favour and stop looking at crap such as Answers in Genesis for what you think are answers.
I've heard of Answers in Genesis but I've never actually visited that site.
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Dredge

Quote from: Asmodean on January 31, 2017, 07:57:57 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 31, 2017, 12:03:09 AM
Organisms can't make themselves. God created them all.
What makes you think it was god? Why could it not have been Xzilotz, visiting from planet Axvkshaz, who dragged in some local microflora on his space boots?
Hypothesises of alien-seeding or panspermia are the result of desperation and are just passing the abiogenesis buck.  Life is a miracle that science cannot and never will explain.   Who can perform miracles, I wonder?

Besides, Xzilotz's speciality was genetic cloning; he never came up with anything original, in my opinion.  And did anything good ever come from Axvkshaz?  I've never been impressed by anyone from that planet - all talk and no action.   Maybe Stephen Hawking's ancestors were from Axvkshaaz?  He's all talk and no action - a bullsh.t artist masquerading as a scientist.

Dredge

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 28, 2017, 12:56:15 PM.There are many hypothesis surrounding abiogenesis, it's a bit too early to talk about facts yet.
I'm not talking about hypothesises about how abiogenesis occurred.  As an atheist you would believe it to be fact that the first life form arose from inanimate matter as a result of some natural, but mindless process, would you not?

Dave

Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:17:58 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 28, 2017, 12:56:15 PM.There are many hypothesis surrounding abiogenesis, it's a bit too early to talk about facts yet.
I'm not talking about hypothesises about how abiogenesis occurred.  As an atheist you would believe it to be fact that the first life form arose from inanimate matter as a result of some natural, but mindless process, would you not?

As an atheist with a scientific approach I do not "believe" life came from inanimate matter. But I do accept that, with our current understanding of the nature of the Universe, that hypothesis has the most going for it. Accepted with reservations, with the door left fully open for more demonstrable fact. Either way.

Belief, in this usage, is the prerogative of woo and its followers.

Corrected later, I put "theory" where I should have put "hypothesis".

[Slaps own wrist!]

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:17:58 AM
I'm not talking about hypothesises about how abiogenesis occurred.  As an atheist you would believe it to be fact that the first life form arose from inanimate matter as a result of some natural, but mindless process, would you not?

:d'oh!:

I don't think you've been paying attention, or are just ignorant. Probably the latter. Or both.

WE ONLY HAVE HYPOTHESIS!!!!!11!!!One!

Abiogenesis is frontier science.

Read this, you won't be cured of your scientific ignorance but you'll get one step closer.

As I mentioned before, science studies naturalistic processes, not the supernatural. No matter what delusion you're under that science proves the existence of god, angels, demons or tooth fairies, it does not. All that is metaphysical speculation, in the relam of philosophy, not science.

I ask again, have you ever heard of non-overlapping magisteria?   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dredge on February 04, 2017, 07:02:10 AM
Quote from: Dredge on January 31, 2017, 12:05:31 AMSpeciation is repeatedly observed and confirmed?

Yes.
Can you cite an example of speciation, please?

Examples were cited earlier in this thread. I'd rather you use your ATP and not mine to find them. Use the search function and ye shall find.

Do yourself a favour and stop looking at crap such as Answers in Genesis for what you think are answers.

*pats Dredge on the back*

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 01:20:49 PM

*pats Dredge on the back*

Hahahaha
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱